getting my fish drunk...... seriously, watch.

Reaction score
T+24hrs. Not to bad. Water is crystal but working on the edges and bottom.
20140927_102834.jpg

Reaction score
Carbon dosing will work in a fw pond to reduce phosphates and nitrates, but unless you have a way to remove the excess bacteria, that bacteria will eventually die off and re-release those nutrients. A protein skimmer would help, but is not as effective in freshwater.
Correct. This is why I want to increase the sg in the water. Not to go full on salt, just around 1.008.
I figure the worst it could to is be the starter for the pressure filter. I don't know what will happen, just optimistic.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you have a spare skimmer, maybe try running it on the pond in the meantime...?
A member here, Mucky Waters, has a skimmer running on his pond and is managing to pull out some skimmate.

Reaction score
T+72, increased 20% to 12mls. Purged canister filter with some pretty rank smell. Bacteria is multiplying, pond looks alright. No dead fish, plants are still alive. For some reason all 3 pictures won't upload. I'll try again later.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Essentially, Vodka is adding more nutrients to the water so to grow a bacteria sponge (i.e., bacterial bloom) to absorb nutrients, that is until the bacteria decomposes thus releasing the constituent nutrients and consuming a significant amount of oxygen. This is why a protein skimmer is often recommended so to remove as much of the bacterial bloom as possible.

Plants simply do not need just photosynthesis and plants do need a significant amount of nutrients to grow. Photosynthesis is simply just the heart of the organism. Plants simply do not need a significant amount of nutrients to merely survive.

This is the first time I've heard of it. I am looking for information on it with regard to ponds though, that article doesn't mention how it effects plants... Or if it did, I missed it. But if what I'm reading is correct then why wouldn't I do this for my pond since I don't have fish?

Phosphate is one of the major macronutrients required for good root growth and flowering. Water Hyacinth is common to have issues with not flowering and lack of phosphorous is one of the reasons due to nutrient competition such as from algae or bacterial blooms.

In reading what I could find it is said that you must have a skimmer for this type of algae treatment and I don't,. I guess I'm back to good 'ole patience and my leaf net. :)

Correct. I would definitely think a properly constructed foam fractionation (or phoam phraxionator or protein skimmer) would be required so to flush out the bacterial bloom created by the organic carbon before the bacterial bloom collapses and causes even more, higher than before, nutrients to be released back into the water.

This is the risk with using bacterial blooms as a nutrient sponge.

I am not surprised this would work.

If a "nutrient sponge" is the route folk want to take, then I would feel more comfortable in recommending the Novak Anoxic filter.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Does this sentence mean "plants only need a small amount of nutrients to survive"? Or am I reading that one wrong?

Nope, it means exactly what I wrote. Plants do not need luxurious nutrient uptake to survive. Of course, "to what extent" is entirely plant specie dependent, as I figure you would know due to your background.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
as I figure you would know due to your background.

Uhhhhh... OK? Maybe you know something about my background that I don't? I was just confused by the sentence structure, that's all. I was trying to understand what you were saying - although most of this thread is way over my head. Vodka I understand. The rest o_O

Reaction score
I'm just thankful there is calm communication going on! @Lisak1 your pond and plants are beautiful so maybe he respects that you know your stuff!!! Refreshing!!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Uhhhhh... OK? Maybe you know something about my background that I don't? I was just confused by the sentence structure, that's all. I was trying to understand what you were saying - although most of this thread is way over my head. Vodka I understand. The rest o_O

It's all good. :)

Vodka is essentially seeding the water to grow a bacterial sponge to act like a more efficient form of "algae" to remove the nutrients, possibly even dissolved organic compounds, in hope this will kill the algae and clear the water. However, then, there's the large bacterial mass to deal with and the mineralization potential if not captured.

This would also jumpstart the process to mineralize (i.e., create plant soluble nutrients) any settled organic debris (i.e., leaves, dead algae, etc).

Not so much different than some ponder-ers using Yeast to grow plankton so to consume the algae.

Both Vodka and Yeast has been done before in the pond hobby to varying levels of success.

Vodka is also commonly used for mineralization of captured fish waste so to create a better plant fertilizer. Many types of organic carbon is used for this including molasses and flour amongst others I can't think of offhand, but vodka is known to have the fewest impurities.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Correct. This is why I want to increase the sg in the water. Not to go full on salt, just around 1.008.
I figure the worst it could to is be the starter for the pressure filter. I don't know what will happen, just optimistic.

1.008 specific gravity? Wow.

For the unaware, specific gravity is a more precise measurement of salinity. 1.008 specific gravity is 10.6ppt, which is 1.06% salinity.

Ummm... hope it does not remain that high for long. This is considered to be a "bath dip" salinity concentration for freshwater fish that are accustomed to natural low salinity levels such as around 0.08%, especially for koi and goldfish. Although, I have heard of folk using a 0.80% salinity with Elbagin for very long delivery trips.

I know I have seen freshwater fish survive 0.60% salt baths for 2 weeks to kill the basic parasites (i.e., Chilodonella and Ich), but not for sure about 1% salt bath for 2 weeks.

For someone that "does not know what will happen", you may well soon find out what will happen.

It'll be interesting to read what will happen.

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Phosphate is one of the major macronutrients required for good root growth and flowering. Water Hyacinth is common to have issues with not flowering and lack of phosphorous is one of the reasons due to nutrient competition such as from algae or bacterial blooms.
crsublette is there a way to introduce that into the pond or is this one of the main ingredients responsible for algae growth as well. I think that this is normally produced by fish waste is it not?

Ask a Question