Getting pond ready for winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a Blagdon affinity stand up pond on my patio. Pic attached. It has 4 Shubunkin and 4 common goldfish in it and some water plants. The pond and fish appear to be doing very well so far but I’m not sure (being a newbie) what to do about how to prepare for frosts and possibly snow. I’ve bought a a Blagdon water heater to keep part of the surface clear should it freeze but what about the pond itself. Should I bubble wrap the structure outside to keep it slightly insulated?
Sorry as I said I am a newbie but very keen to look after the pond a sit is my pride and joy.
Any help much appreciated.
Paul

Attachments

• E2A5249C-6FDF-477D-87EF-903606DF3DDB.png
    E2A5249C-6FDF-477D-87EF-903606DF3DDB.png
    165 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Hi all. I have a Blagdon affinity stand up pond on my patio. Pic attached. It has 4 Shubunkin and 4 common goldfish in it and some water plants. The pond and fish appear to be doing very well so far but I’m not sure (being a newbie) what to do about how to prepare for frosts and possibly snow. I’ve bought a a Blagdon water heater to keep part of the surface clear should it freeze but what about the pond itself. Should I bubble wrap the structure outside to keep it slightly insulated?
Sorry as I said I am a newbie but very keen to look after the pond a sit is my pride and joy.
Any help much appreciated.
Paul
Hi! Nice looking pond. How cold and for how long does your temperature get? Keeping part of the surface clear of ice will be good for the fish so they get oxygen, and will help prevent ice from cracking the pond itself, but some materials can become brittle in super-cold temperatures that are significantly below freezing for long periods of time. If you're in an area that is only possibly snow, you are probably Ok with your set up, as snow melts fairly quickly.
I'd suggest call/ email/ write the manufacturer for their recommendation.
P.S. When the water temperature is below 50 degrees F/ 10C, stop feeding the fish. Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sarah. Thank you so much for this. It’s the first winter we will have the pond since we bought it. We live in a rural area in open countryside in Essex UK. The temp does drop below zero on occasion overnight but rarely during the day. And snow is a rarity these days. But frost is my main concern as the water will probably freeze over at some point. But yes I do have the Blagdon heater to keep part of the waters surface clear.
I will indeed write to the manufacturer as you suggest for some winter tips.
I’m sure the set up will be fine as it is my pride and joy and I want it to stay that way! Noted re feeding the fish btw.
Thanks again Sarah .
Regards Paul

Ask a Question