Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have a de-icer on standby?
nope, the water is lifted at least 3 inches and the surface agitation is to the point the entire ponds surface bounces around I will be placing a plastic closet to speak around the water pump where the air pump is as well so that the air will be warmer air probably in the 40's or 50's that will be pumped down to the bottom of the pond not that It will warm the water but it won't be throwing super cold at them either. My pumps are in the garage. throwing that much air at the pond it will find a way out I am using twice the volume of your pump and you see what that's putting out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be careful @GBBUDD

A neighbor loss his entire pond of fish using a strong aerator during the winter. He had it in the shallower end of the pond. Thinking that would leave the thermal layers alone in the deep end. It was a large pond, gold fish, a cold winter, we are 6b like you. 1/2 of the pond was ice free, the aerator kept it open. As the rest of the ice melted the dead fish started showing up. I think one fish survived. He was not over stocked, had a clean pond. The only thing we could come up with was the water became super chilled.

I quit using a aerator after that year. Now stick with the pond breather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok this is getting a little crazy, someone brought up bobcats one night and the next day I get a great shot of a big bobcat. Then someone place a pic of the quaker parots that I only knew as green parots that should not be living in the England in the wild as they are tropical. The next day I got a great shot of one eating some berries in the koosa tree. And now here we were talking about bears in Yellowstone and I was just told by my wife there was a bear sitting a 1/4 mile away. I guess I might find out how good my fish caves are the hard way and I better add some more stone to the shallow areas and protect the liner UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@GBBUDD just ta let ya know............................I just saw the Abominable Snowman on the news the other day :LOL:
upload_2018-9-21_9-29-19.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok I just jinxed myself posting that snowman guy @GBBUDD cuz guess who just showed up to my pond and will not leave...............................This guy below and he keeps coming back after I shut the door. Even went on a bike ride and came back and he's still there staring at the fish! the last photo he craned his neck and was leering at me through the window. I had to make my movements so slow like a sloth to get the photos.Sure glad my net is protected w/that net attached to that wire fence on the bottom or my fish would now be sushi!

IMG_8704.JPG

IMG_8705.JPG

IMG_8706.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Serves you right sicking the bumble after me. you mad me lol now that's not fair my kids call me ogre ogre's don't lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm going to be traveling again by the looks of it so I'm going to net the pond but I'm going to do so at about 16 to 20 feet up . More like a mash unit and camouflage. Going to buy some driving range netting it should also make leaf clean up a breeze. Going to be about 80 feet long and 30 feet wide. I'll utilize the chimney the garage the maple tree and a 30 foot cedar distribution pole. I am lucky enough to have some aged copper wire that I'll use for the support which should look really nice I used some on the wine rack I posted earlier in the blog.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now you are cookin! I love it now that when Mr Heron comes to visit I can just sit and watch him pace! It's keeping out that darn tailless racoon out also. If a bear comes tho I'm doomed!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Tara Yep that extra net is stored away in case I need it. The net that is on there now is getting old and when we get heavy wet snow it pulls it apart in places.

Ask a Question