Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes! I am envious of your tree stumps! They will look incredible!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love tree stumps they just add to your pond
Thanks sissy
I have to be careful at this point I think I have added about all I can without it looking crowded.
unfortunately they didn't just jump into my truck the stump in photo 2 I had to split cut and carry out the stump in pieces. unfortunately it was a good 500 yards off the road. When I was building the pond someone said I had rocks in my head. Well now I'm as dumb as a stump splitting it and carrying it all the way out to the truck. Like my rocks around the pond I think a couple large stumps were crucial to the project.

Thanks Jw

Thanks bagmom
Stumps are the one thing I know stump dumps will give away for free the only problem is not many of them have any roots left as they just get ripped out of the ground.

What I started to say about pic three was that log has a huge knot and the plan is to have the log look like its buried in the ground part of it sticking out and water pouring out of the knot . if I can make it work it should be very cool.

Jhn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Always interesting to see your cool looking tree stump finds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks sissy
I have to be careful at this point I think I have added about all I can without it looking crowded.
unfortunately they didn't just jump into my truck the stump in photo 2 I had to split cut and carry out the stump in pieces. unfortunately it was a good 500 yards off the road. When I was building the pond someone said I had rocks in my head. Well now I'm as dumb as a stump splitting it and carrying it all the way out to the truck. Like my rocks around the pond I think a couple large stumps were crucial to the project.

Thanks Jw

Thanks bagmom
Stumps are the one thing I know stump dumps will give away for free the only problem is not many of them have any roots left as they just get ripped out of the ground.

What I started to say about pic three was that log has a huge knot and the plan is to have the log look like its buried in the ground part of it sticking out and water pouring out of the knot . if I can make it work it should be very cool.
What is a Stump Dump? I feel like I need to go find one, so I can snag a free stump!!!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have one in Eden NC and it has been a real difficult time to get one before someone else gets to the good stuff .I guess landscapers get to it often .I do go up to fairy stone park and get some .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is a Stump Dump? I feel like I need to go find one, so I can snag a free stump!!!!!
Just like a local town dump which I know are a dying breed these days . Most of your larger tree clearing contractors or the local dump will have an area set aside for stumps. They get placed into what's called a tub grinder. The dirt rocks and thick wood of the stump require this HD grinder and they stock pile stumps until they get enough to fire up the tub grinder. Be friendly to the guys and you never know what you could get with some persuasion. Just remember stumps are less than light. I literally cut with a sawsall the stumps into sections following the grain and carrying them out. Brought them back to the house and screwed them back together. A stump dump you probably will not be allowed to do much of anything but bring a trailer and have it loaded and drive away. If they are reluctant to load offer a few bucks. on page 7 of this thread there's a bunch of pics showing some of the rocks I had picked up along with them is one pic of a partial tree stump and how I cut it up. if I'd didn't tell you what it was most would never be able to guess

Last edited:
Reactions: j.w
Ad

Advertisements

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The one on Eden does not have anyone there but I have been eyeing some large flat rocks someone dumped there,I am guessing this week as the weather was so bad last weekend with flooding that I did not get over there .My sister has a broken arm or we would have tried to get them yesterday .But my dear sweet brother in law is stuck in Utah with his truck .He had a big delivery there for the company he drives for and is now stuck in a hotel because of weather conditions being so bad .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As they say one man's trash is another man's treasure. some of the boulders I got were in a farmer's garden in a pile these were 3 to 4 foot boulders he was beyond grateful that I took his boulders away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be careful taking anything from a park of any kind. That could become a really bad day for you. Just saying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Gemma
That's a heck of a compliment.
I can't wait to sit by the pond and enjoy it again watch things grow and see what wildlife visitors stop by.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those would be some of the plants I would plant in a larger bog too.....good choice. Love the look of both.

Before I enlarge my bog I need to change the pond I built for my parents 20 some years ago over to a pond less waterfall. They have gotten older and they don’t have the time or wherewithal to care for the current pond which is just over run with plants at this point choking the pump. Planning on doing it for them this summer with some 3-5000 pound boulders set into the hill and around the feature to create falls for the water to run down into a reservoir with aqua blox and centipede. Will be there redoing their waterfront creating a better living shoreline, so will have the heavy equipment there and the stone, so will be easy.
when you do this work I hope you have the your parents take lots of pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe i mentioned my aquablocks island experiment that i started late in the season last year. the idea was to build an island in the upper pond and have papyrus growing out of it. No soil what so ever just plants on three aquablocks and this way i could see by draining the water exactly how much of a root system one plant would make . curious if it would take multiple years before the plants created a living "spoung" filter through out the entire top of the bog. well the answer with papyrus was 6 months tops. The roots are over three feet long and very dense and like a huge living mat of steel wool. THE FIRST PHOTO IS THE AQUABLOCKS WITH SOME GRAVEL ON TOP the plants were placed directly onto of the aquablocks and pushed a thin layer OF PEA STONE more for decoration around the plants . Well i just tried to pull the blocks apart and they Laughed hysterically at me they were not coming apart. that is not until i broke out the saws all. And thats were the second pic comes in i know it's hard to see but take my word for it after using a sawsall to separator the blocks and cutting the roots apart from one to another. Tomy surprise and you can see it in the pic the roots that were at the back of the island that were not exposed to water or the air are still alive and the roots are still red... Yes we had a mild winter but papyrus is not a plant that can tolerate and feezing temps. i desired to leave the mass of roots in tack and see if it comes back in the spring.
roots2.jpg
roots3.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got the pond up and running with temp pumps two 3,000 gph and I sealed the leak cumming from under the water fall from the upper pond with was probably allowing a couple hindered gallons an hour to run under the main waterfall instead of over it .
And I installed the log with the large Knot on the small water fall. And i'm loving it the log is almost hollow from one end to the other and is allowing water to seep out at the very end and the moss is really going to thrive.

sorry for the construction fence and the exposed pipes as we are still underconstruction.

Jhn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is awesome with the water running through the log.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's incredible @GBBUDD ! And like you said it's only going to get better with time!
LOL my problem seems to be giving something time to grow i keep tweaking but i do see a real fence in the future and get rid of the damn orange fencing but my neighbor has grand kids so i have to be a responsible neighbor and make sure his little jewels cant gain access to the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I originally thought i would have phases to this blog of the pond build. Well the first phase was going to be the pond build ... check.....The second Phase was going to be the upper pond and the stream ......Check..... Phase three was building the wetland with the snorkel centipede and aquablocks ......Check..... Phase 4 was to build the small backup Pea stone bog.....Check.... Well ... i am thinking it is now time to build the last major piece to the project and thats going to be the negative edge with a 2,000 gallon rain water capture system . While saving money on the town water bill sure sounds good it's going to run over $4,000 now i know i have rocks in my head.... but i estimate in 4 to 5 years it will pay for its self and the piece of mind knowing i can leave the pond for weeks on end without any concerns is well worth it.

Reactions: j.w
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
@GBBUDD that's one big advantage of the underground rainwater storage. Our pond level never drops - only the level in the rain exchange. We rarely have to add water and not having a skimmer means we don't have to worry during those times of the year when we get major blossom drop off the crabapple or leaves in the fall - they can collect forever on top of the gravel without causing any issues with the pond or pump.

This whole pond thing started for us when we were researching ways to store water for "just in case". We aren't "peppers" per se, but we do like to think through potential issues and come up with some reasonable solutions. My BIL stores water in barrels, but those are A. ugly B. take up space and C. need to be dumped and refilled on a regular basis to keep the water fresh and potable. One day we were sitting in our backyard (we had just installed a new paver patio) and I said to my husband "what about UNDERGROUND water storage"... and he was off to the races. We researched pumps for circulation and for accessing the water and learned that some people put small water features - think bubbling boulders - on top of their rain exchange to keep the water moving. The next thing I knew, we were building a 4000 gallon "water feature" - best decision ever!

Ask a Question