Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Tara Yep that extra net is stored away in case I need it. The net that is on there now is getting old and when we get heavy wet snow it pulls it apart in places.
Why wouldn't you pull the nets in the winter there's no herons around when it snows

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Why wouldn't you pull the nets in the winter there's no herons around when it snows

It doesn't snow here hardly ever and when it does it lasts only a day or so. Heron's are year round residents in Western Washington. Aren't we lucky?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do love it out there though I have been out there 4 times in the last 6 years

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's best when it's not raining w/all the gloomy gray skies. I've lived here all my life and guess I am here to stay. Actually I grew up in Seattle but that is scumsville to me now. Trashed by garbage, tents on the streets,drugs, gangs and old run down rv's. If you drive into downtown Seattle it is unbelievable! We moved out north of there years ago and I won't even go visit Seattle.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Umm yes there are! I have pictures somewhere of a heron standing in the snow trying to find fish, my pond. It was in January.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen them as well in mild winters but once the freeze comes they head south up here I guess Maryland is far enough south I do remember the rivers never freezing over the year I was down there

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have seen them as well in mild winters but once the freeze comes they head south up here I guess Maryland is far enough south I do remember the rivers never freezing over the year I was down there

Rivers freezing here in Maryland is hit and miss, now. This past winter the rivers froze all the way out to the bay, the first time it has done that in a long time. Most the time it is only the side creeks of the rivers that freeze. 30 years ago the rivers froze solid every year, Thick enough that you could drive a cAr on it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rivers freezing here in Maryland is hit and miss, now
Yeah, we either have things growing all winter or dying. Grass stays green or it dies. Seeds germinate then die. Or they germinate and survive.

Hard to raise bees, they fly off and on all winter. Fly out looking for food, above 40, then come back and eat up their winter stores. We have to feed them all winter or they can starve to death. That is with making sure they have lots of stored honey to eat. We would love to have a really cold winter to keep them clustered and in their hives.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You're hanging the net 16 feet in the air? Are the sides going to hang down to the ground?
yep, I already got a 20 foot tall aged white cedar and i'll be erecting it among the hedge, I have old heavy duty copper wire. that will be the support from the large maple in back of the bog and the chimney from the house with the pole in the middle but off to the side of the pond. There will then be two more wires from the garge that will be tied to the main line mentioned above. net across the top and net to the ground . Mash 4077 here we come. for those old enough to know the show. It wil be to the ground out toward the back yard but it's going to be open close to the house over the patio a couple fishing lines will take care of that opening. We will see. The pole is on site as is the wire next weekend I hope to erect the pole and wire. Yes I know i'm crazy. but i'll be damned if I'm looking through a net I have worked to hard so a Avery it is in reverse. oh and I am leaning toward driving range nets. they make them to what ever size you'd like.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Somebody needs to come up w/an electronic net raiser so when we are outside by the pond all we have to do is push a button and the net raises. Time to lower it, just push the down button.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@j.w have you ever seen the commercial for the automatic shade, you have it installed on a patio for e.g., then you hit a switch and it rolls out to provide shade. I wonder if something like that low to the ground would work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I have @Tara and it might work if the right person invented it. I guess one could do a pull up by hand, like a window shade. Net would have to have some kind of taping on the sides w/holes so a cord could be woven into it to be able to pull it up.

Ask a Question