Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My pond is only approximately 3500 gallons so I don't plan on having more than six or seven koi. I will be building a larger filter with a bog next spring as they will get bigger. I am saving room for one more fish. I though when I got my fish that were the smaller domestic, but later learned they are imported, and will most likely get bigger. Go figure, all ways do your homework first.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is only approximately 3500 gallons so I don't plan on having more than six or seven koi. I will be building a larger filter with a bog next spring as they will get bigger. I am saving room for one more fish. I though when I got my fish that were the smaller domestic, but later learned they are imported, and will most likely get bigger. Go figure, all ways do your homework first.
domestic or imported there growth will be stunted in a smaller pond . they won't grow to 30" if theres no room for them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Which is why I have a capped number on how many fish I will have. Mixed options abound when the subject of koi growth comes up. Some say water quality is a huge factor on stunted growth, but of course that would be, others say you can't stop a koi from growing in a good environment, no matter the size pond. From my perspective, with good water conditions only time will tell. I do know when I brought three of my fish home, they came in a small bag, there is no way that even one of them could fit in that bag now, and that's only after two months. They have at grown four times their original size.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
domestic or imported there growth will be stunted in a smaller pond . they won't grow to 30" if theres no room for them

There are things that can stunt the growth of a koi - which generally indicate poor health - but the size of the pond won't determine the size of the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you, I need to do some work on the waterfall where it first starts. There is a leak so I am not running it at the moment. I really wish I went with a wider liner but lesson learned. The fish are doing very well. The ones that had rashes have had the rashes clear up. They seem very happy now. Currently we are working on putting in a large window off the bedroom to view the pond from the bedroom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you, I need to do some work on the waterfall where it first starts. There is a leak so I am not running it at the moment. I really wish I went with a wider liner but lesson learned. The fish are doing very well. The ones that had rashes have had the rashes clear up. They seem very happy now. Currently we are working on putting in a large window off the bedroom to view the pond from the bedroom.
Have you tried seeming the liner yet it's really not that hard but practice on some scrap first.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The Team Aquascape channel is relatively new. They broke the channel down into lifestyle videos and the more technical stuff. I can watch those things all day long!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Team Aquascape channel is relatively new. They broke the channel down into lifestyle videos and the more technical stuff. I can watch those things all day long!
Don't know if I have missed a slue of the life style videos or not it amazes me the few swimables they have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They've really started featuring the swim, or recreation, ponds just recently. I love reading the comments that they get from people who are literally afraid of swimming in a pond with fish. They are sure it will lead to instant death. Fear and paranoia seem to be the default setting for so many people.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tried seeming the liner yet it's really not that hard but practice on some scrap first.
Not yet, I have used it all up. For now I will just find and fix leaks. Next year I will do exactly that and run the liner up the outer side of the rocks.

Ask a Question