Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Have you managed to catch the Koi you wanted to remove yet. I must say they are a colorful bunch of koi, very pretty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you managed to catch the Koi you wanted to remove yet. I must say they are a colorful bunch of koi, very pretty.
I have caught a couple but it is a task and a half the pond is too big and deep with MANY hiding places we think a fish has bought the farm with a blue heron we won't see them for a month or more then one day bang there they are. the most recent is the albino cat fish and a black cat I see the smaller black cat almost every day when I feed but the albino disappeared a good month or more but he showed up last night .CRAAZY

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I though some of my fish were done for one day after seeing a hawk out there, not sure but I think my dogs roaming around keep things away for the most part. I know if I had to catch any of my fish, it would be near impossible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found tonight that a flash light can aid in catching them but there's little chance of holding the flash light and trying to catch them it does allow an attempt at much deeper depths but you have to be quick I'm leaning toward making like a rocking chair step on the rocker and have it roll lifting a corral per say and see if that might catch a few fish .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What about using a flashlight that you ware on your head. I have one that's waterproof. My neighbour would think I've finally lost the plot if I was seen splashing around in my pond at night.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'M learning what ever works I will try as you can see there's a few too many in the pond but we are getting there. I'm hoping I may be able to just scoop them out in the winter months I made a quarantine tank. I just don't know time will tell.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pond looks so pretty and clear @GBBUDD and I don't know how the heck you will catch all those fish! What about 3 people and a seine net? That's how my friend and I got her koi out but there was only two of us. Her pond is 8ft deep and is very large.
IMG_0916.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond looks so pretty and clear @GBBUDD and I don't know how the heck you will catch all those fish! What about 3 people and a seine net? That's how my friend and I got her koi out but there was only two of us. Her pond is 8ft deep and is very large.
View attachment 116386
Fortunately I am not planning on catching them all. But I swear they know which ones I want to catch and which ones are safe. Of course the biggest and slowest are all staying it's the babies and a couple of the originals it comes to about a little less then half.
I'm thinking of not running the bogs and water falls this winter. I'f I am traveling I don't want to risk it but the main bog i'm thinking of running a submersible and have it just recirculating the water in the snorkel keeping the bog alive and not loose the bio load that has developed this year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm thinking of not running the bogs and water falls this winter. I'f I am traveling I don't want to risk it but the main bog i'm thinking of running a submersible and have it just recirculating the water in the snorkel keeping the bog alive and not loose the bio load that has developed this year.
I turn my bog and pond off every winter, it sits flow less for 4-5 months, usually nov-march. Once I turn back on the water flow, the pond water clears usually within two days, the plants are already growing before turn on. I have never had a stinky smelly mess when I do turn it on. It does not seem to bother the bio load at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turn my bog and pond off every winter, it sits flow less for 4-5 months, usually nov-march. Once I turn back on the water flow, the pond water clears usually within two days, the plants are already growing before turn on. I have never had a stinky smelly mess when I do turn it on. It does not seem to bother the bio load at all.
Your advantage is your bog is part of your pond. The water is on both sides of the dividing wall my bog is not. It's completely separate that and I have fish living in my bog of all things at least a dozen are in there as crazy as it seems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20181006_085345.jpg
20181006_141042.jpg
Been working on the main post for the netting of the pond . I have decided I'm going to use basically 3 sections 20' x 30' . This will leave the corners open for maintenance. a simple carabineer will hold the corner closed when not in use . This will enclose the sides but leaving the top open. I'm not sure yet if a few fishing lines strung across will be the top or if an other net on top will be the route to go. If you look close I smoked the water a bit moving the pole into place the rubber edge slipped and the water mudded up quick and within 2 hours there's a visible difference in the clarity.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your advantage is your bog is part of your pond. The water is on both sides of the dividing wall my bog is not. It's completely separate that and I have fish living in my bog of all things at least a dozen are in there as crazy as it seems.
It is and it isn't there is a wall separating the two, when I turn off the pond the bog drains back to the level of the pea gravel. The bog does keep water in it all winter and it does freeze. I rescue the tad poles that are swimming around ow they will die, the water level drops to low.

The bog is totally separate from the pond once the water flow is stopped.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is and it isn't there is a wall separating the two, when I turn off the pond the bog drains back to the level of the pea gravel. The bog does keep water in it all winter and it does freeze. I rescue the tad poles that are swimming around ow they will die, the water level drops to low.

The bog is totally separate from the pond once the water flow is stopped.
Oh I thought you had the wood beams between allowing for seepage between the two my bad. because off the fish in there oddly enough I feel bad for them so I will do what I can for them a little circulating pump is easy enough. But like your self I am leaning toward shutting down the main pump and the stream. I will be using the air pump but it's going to be in a closet sorta speak with led lights generating just a little bit of heat so as to not throw zero degrees at the fish. I guess I am being stubborn I spent a lot to get the bottom drain air bladder and 120 air pump and I know your warning but I'm thinking the other guy who left the air pump running pumped cold air and super chilled the water. that I we be avoiding. but on the same note leaving led lights on and a air pump will be more electricity then a air breather " heater"

Ask a Question