Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I did go with the easy pro and thanks to the corona situation i got a good deal, i got 80 blocks 2500 gallons . Talk about the least work possible. i believe i will be able to walk away from the pond for months on end and not have a worry about much. my only concern is if the algae continues on the path it is now there may not be enough for the fish to eat at the current amount of fish.

I am going with the negative edge where i am hoping to create traps fr sediment to get caught in little pools before it hits the underground storage and it's rocks to go underground to try and keep it as clean as possible. the area i am thinking will be at least 6 feet long so as the rocks clog it just flows over and works on the next foot . the area will also be a good foot to a foot and a half deep for backup if it ever should. Am i missing anything ?

I agree i enjoy creating tinkering around the pond With the exception of LEAVES

Sounds like you have it well thought out to me and yeah leaves suck. I have a magnolia tree right next to my pond, ( wife wouldn’t let me cut it down) that dumps leaves in it constantly. The only upside is they don’t fall apart very fast and float around forever, so I can usually get to them with a net If the skimmers don’t get them first.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am thinking on using sand in the bottom of the little pond that has no bottom brain. i through some in there this morning silted the water right up but when it settled it looked really cool.

I did that with one of the planting beds in my pond in front of one of the skimmers. I used a light tan/white fine grain sand about 3” deep or so, so any sediment or silt sits on top of it and doesn’t really settle into it. It does look pretty cool in there, until plants start growing and I can’t see it much.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well the sand while it does look different an other addition to making the pond look a little more natural when I went out this morning I got a bit of a surprise.
20200422_090444.jpg
i don't know how well it will show through the web but what I thought was a chipmunk who put some tears and a hole in the upper bog . well I was abveously wrong unless there's a chipmunk who can walk on the bottom of a pond a foot deep.
foot prints and scratches looks like its time for have a heart traps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like you have it well thought out to me and yeah leaves suck. I have a magnolia tree right next to my pond, ( wife wouldn’t let me cut it down) that dumps leaves in it constantly. The only upside is they don’t fall apart very fast and float around forever, so I can usually get to them with a net If the skimmers don’t get them first.
That is one thing I do like about the helix skimmer they have a skimmer basket you can buy that is actually 3 skimmer baskets together its like 2 and a half feet long. holds a good amount of leaves
I am thinking on using sand in the bottom of the little pond that has no bottom brain. i through some in there this morning silted the water right up but when it settled it looked really cool.
i need to stop the late night texts

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I WAS wondering about your "bottom brain"! I mean, I frequently ask my husband if his head is up his you know what, so I guess bottom brain would fit!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was wondering WHOM would make that CONECTION and guess who was at the top on my list........ By the way i was looking at your showcase the other day that huge iris you have is amazing it's perfectly shaped what color is it ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The one in the pond? It's yellow. It got invaded by iris borers last year, so it's much smaller this year... and I'm ok with that! It was starting to scare me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh nope! Just checked - that one was in the bog. it was purple, but it's gone now. That thing just kept outgrowing the space. Irises can be real bullies!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only have them where they really are keen on like in a foot of water or sitting on a rock shelf and only the roots are in the water to slow them down a bit so far it has worked the winter knocks them back .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love a good challenge. if there's no challenge I don't bother. look at the simple pond I built my first go around .
By the way with the negative edge if you and hubby had to do it over again is there anything you would change or advise

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
By the way with the negative edge if you and hubby had to do it over again is there anything you would change or advise

Of course! Isn't there always?

When we built our pond, we followed instructions for a rain exchange under the negative edge because essentially that was what we were doing. But some things definitely don't work when it's a pond flowing into the gravel vs just recirculating clean rain water, which is the model we were following. For example, the recommendation was to put a layer of landscape fabric over the top of the aquablox and then add large rocks, then another layer of fabric, then smaller rocks, then another fabric, then large gravel, then MORE fabric and finally pea gravel. Well, all that fabric clogged up within a matter of days.

We ended up cutting out as much fabric as we could, which of course meant the various sized rocks and gravel got mixed, which lead to complete gridlock. We spent a year trying to find a good solution for keeping it free of debris, including using a power washer. We finally took all the gravel and rock out (and by "we" I mean one of my sons!), got out all the fabric, laid a base layer of small sized boulders and then covered that with golf ball sized rock. Now it works great. We still have to clean it, but the boulders never move and the all-one-sized rocks are easy to clean and shift around with a rake.

And while we do have an overflow in our rain exchange, we would have increased the size. I think it's a 3 inch pipe. It could drain a bit faster when we get heavy rain.

Knowing what we know now we may have just gone with an intake bay instead of the negative edge. I haven't done much research on those though, but the idea intrigues me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the liner on site, spray foam, Caulking, a yard of 2 to 3 and a yard of 4 to 6 river jack, and the 1/8 protection board that I have found very useful for protection If the liner from sharp rocks etc. I used it between the mafia block and the fabric in the large bog. It can not be used inside the water area. its fiberglass enfused with an petroleum coating. it will be used this time to protect the liner in the rain water capture vat from tree roots.
20200423_170741.jpg

He he he More ROCK

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Picked up another 3 yards of 3/4 " native river jack. With after all the rain we have had I could not get the truck and Trailer in to the back yard. So i had to transfer to the lawn tractor and trailer to haul a yard of stone that was needed to complete to Upper pond. Installed the rock to the bond beam shelf. Placed plantings and moss and a few plants around the pond.

The 1/8 backer board i knew was tough stuff but it's a lot stronger then i thought i drove over it with 5 tons of rock and my truck at 8,900 gvw and it was laying on the lawn and not even the corners got compromised.

Some update photos of the pond early spring

Pano early spring 2020
Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1)-12.jpg

Trying a new method to scare away the Great Blue Heron The Harley way.
Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1)-11.jpg
I
The moss bog is coming along so nicely it almost makes me put the breaks on from the rain water capturing project. I have little choice but to go through the moss bog to make it happen
Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1)-8.jpg

Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1)-9.jpg
Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1)-10.jpg
A little hard to see but the upper pond is on the Left side of the photo that I have almost completed. The liner needed to be replaced due to critter damage.
Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1)-2.jpg
Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1)-3.jpg
Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1)-6.jpg

Large bog early spring 2020
Koi pond early spring 2020 (1 of 1).jpg

Ask a Question