Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK OK OK You win garden pond forum crazy pond builder reward!
Some how i don't think that's a good thing i should have built it all at one time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well i had 6000 gallon delivered yesterday to fill up the new extension and the new waterfall has come to life. I did not want a sheet flow i wanted something more that you would find out in nature. A little unbalanced and that looked weathered. Well i had just the rock i thought would do the job and so far so good. The issue i amhaveing is i thought with a check valve if i filled the 2" line coming out from the cistern i could get the pump to pull the water. well at 15' away and a drop of 48" the pump is just not having good luck clearing out the air in the line i have tried to have the cistern full and it just can't pull it up that high. Nexttttt So for now I have a 3000 easy pro external pumping water from the cistern to the pond. Today was the first day in a week i have not worked on the pond. Yesterday was spent lining the walls of the extension with rock. ONE MAN sized rocks for a change but they are not river rock. so i was able to make it look like weathered ledge sorta speak. The fish have gone into the new extension but they are so use to the main pond they turn away more then they do go in. The beginning of the extension is just one rock was removed creating a channel i's 24" wide and looks oh natural very happy with the appearance now i just have to work out the bugs to get the project just where i want it.
12.jpg
15.jpg

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looking good man, takes some creative juice to come up with a pond like you have built.
.....So now should the title of this thread be Going for it phase 2 or 3 18000 gallon pond.

Like the natural look of that rock waterfall. That is what I’d did with my bog rebuild too, got it so part of the rock is sort of dry while water flows over just a portion of it, not too crazy about the sheet flow Like you said not as natural.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good man, takes some creative juice to come up with a pond like you have built.
.....So now should the title of this thread be Going for it phase 2 or 3 18000 gallon pond.

Like the natural look of that rock waterfall. That is what I’d did with my bog rebuild too, got it so part of the rock is sort of dry while water flows over just a portion of it, not too crazy about the sheet flow Like you said not as natural.
I was going to start a phase two three back when the bogs started but i realized they would get separated and it would never be feasible to view the entire build. My major now is making the falls water tight when power goes out and how to get my pump to pull up the water from the cistern i was thinking of putting a small external on the end to get it flowing and just unplug it when it as the water was being pulled by the main pump. Think this would work ?

I think i am going to take a page from my x mother in law Rest her soul i loved that lady. Well her family was rather large 14 , and her name was Freda = freedom i guess her oms ovaries called it quits and they had to do hysterectomy. Any ways one of her brother s name was Aldy All DONE when i get this phase done i only have one rather small stream from the bog to the cistern more like a leakier then much of anything but will will see

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wholly carp! (Spelling intentional)
You have been one busy bee!
My body aches just thinking of all the work you have done!
My project is a mere drop in the bucket compared to yours.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wholly carp! (Spelling intentional)
You have been one busy bee!
My body aches just thinking of all the work you have done!
My project is a mere drop in the bucket compared to yours.
Its been a heck of a long week. i lost my helper after the weekend it was a battle i'm on the home front

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Labor of love and PAIN i should have spent the cash for boulders and not had to lug the one man nuggets for two days

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
FINISHED the pond extension, gravel beds are all lined in pea stone the waterfall has been tightened up. I shut the power off after filling the pond the other day and the water settled at a foot down from it's set point. That would not do as the pond is so large now that if i lost a foot of water that would over flow the cistern if it was more then half full. Picked up 6 papyrus, a couple cardinals , Yellow variegated flag, and 5 frog bit. Planted the weeping red-bud and finished the stone wall around it and to the pond.
Hate to say it but there is still more to do. The little pond that the negative edge drops into needs to be finished and the collection opening to the cistern that i haven't even started, water is flowing to it but it's hardly even begun let alone done.

Worst part of it all I'M RUNNING OUT OF ROCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK i doubt i can find enough to finish. Though if i rented a bigger machine i do have two fantastic boulders out back . But thats another day. Water Truck returns tomorrow to top off the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OH. MY. GOSH. Is all I can say. You have built yourself a $150,000 pond. It's just spectacular. Your day of rest will come and you can appreciate your hard work!

Ask a Question