Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Just gorgeous ! Your pickerel rush is so big, I'm hoping mine comes back next year after this year's puny showing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just gorgeous ! Your pickerel rush is so big, I'm hoping mine comes back next year after this year's puny showing.
I think pickerel rush is one of those plants that takes some time to get established then it explodes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Somebody is happy to be home! I don't know how you ever leave...
Always good to come home . The pond was built so I'd always want to stay home. And let the stress disapate watching the fish tge waterfalls the frogs the dragon flies the bubbles and the baby fish that swim by. To find a new flower or a butterfly. See how much tge plants hav we grown and the moss has expanded. Spent the day trying to finish the disappearing stream part of the job as it falls into the cistern. I'll post a picture tomorrow I should be done then if I didn't break my hand.
20200920_150737.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone its hard to belive this is the end of the third year. Mother nature has certainly has taken root . The water is so clear its crazy. No one has been poking at the pond lately.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess not to this pollock. Lol I'm sure at some point probably next year I'll build the 5 foot water fall and the LAST POND to catch the splash next year. By the time I'm done ill be fed up with this state and ill move and start all over. Love my pond but sometimes I wish I never tripped over that aquascapes video on you tube.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Somebody is happy to be home! I don't know how you ever leave...
The wife says she's the source to get me to leave. But I have ptsd and always come back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Night time photos with the phone camera . Its crazy how far they have come. And like I said before its crazy how clear the water is . I am using two 3 water aquascape underwater led lights in the photos
20200921_201639.jpg
20200921_201334.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Before I netted my pond I had underwater lights, during the night the owls hunted the fish. I loss a few nice large ones. They were there in the evening gone in the am. So no more lights. We have a bunch of great horned owls and other owls around. This was before the herons found the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Guess I'm lucky there we dont have any owels. I do love the lights at night its magical the glimmer up in the trees rocks its eveywhere

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good lord. I am so impressed by this build. Finally sat down this morning and skimmed through the whole thread. I'm about to embark on my own build (excavator is coming Thurs.), and it's just so intimidating.

I've installed my own HVAC system, put a big solar system on my roof, remodeled rooms, poured concrete, etc. etc. There is hardly a DIY home improvement project that would phase me. But for whatever reason, building a pond in my back yard is really testing my confidence! So much dirt. Rocks so big I can't fathom how I'll move them. It's a whole different beast.

It's really great to see someone documenting the whole process on a pond bigger than I'm planning, chipping away at it piece by piece. Gives me a little hope that I, too, will someday get there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good lord. I am so impressed by this build. Finally sat down this morning and skimmed through the whole thread. I'm about to embark on my own build (excavator is coming Thurs.), and it's just so intimidating.

I've installed my own HVAC system, put a big solar system on my roof, remodeled rooms, poured concrete, etc. etc. There is hardly a DIY home improvement project that would phase me. But for whatever reason, building a pond in my back yard is really testing my confidence! So much dirt. Rocks so big I can't fathom how I'll move them. It's a whole different beast.

It's really great to see someone documenting the whole process on a pond bigger than I'm planning, chipping away at it piece by piece. Gives me a little hope that I, too, will someday get there.
Thanks for the kind words.
My advice to you is in Vermont with all the granite is to step up on your underlament. Get the insurance of a thicker protection.
2. Put it all on paper share it here there are so many here that will help and give advice as to what you plan and what others may have run into.
It is a challange for sure one you wont find out the results of your planning and hard work untill its almost too late to fix it.

And patience lots and lots of patience if your building with a bog it will take some time for nature to get her feet wet and take care of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

The pond at the end of 2020 and it can't come soon enough. Looking forward to the rebirth of the pond and a new year one where we can all sit back relax and thrive together.

Ask a Question