Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Always wanted to have a pond in my back yard again like I did growing up. A opportunity crossed my path to collect some large boulders and some stone wall sized boulders both aged and freshly split granite for the right price. Well the purchased of a 12,000 pound dump trailer and about 45,000 pounds of boulders latter I guess it was time to pull the trigger. I rented a excavator last Friday, this was to be exploratory seeing as there is ledge poking its head out of the ground in the immediate area. The hope was to get to 6 feet deep 4 at a minimum to construct a natural swimming pond. though very little swimming is planed. To my surprise I was able to dig to 8 feet at the deep end right up to the patio. 18 feet wide with a dual terrace and 25 feet long two areas in the pond are set aside for a bog one will be 10 feet by 3' and the other is 8 x5 but from the edge it drops down into the pond / shallow area. As the shallow area drops is where a foot tall possibly two falls into the pond. that splits off about ten feet back and drops off to the side and heads toward the pond and drops about five feet away into the pond as well. It's at this point where the two branch off to have a dual sided bog one off to each side of the stream one considerably larger then then other. the smaller may just be a wicked area for plants to suck up there own water from the roots to a water proof footing. then the stream will again reach a split just before the main fall about three to four feet tall with multiple drops and splits. Well that's the plan anyways. I have seen where there is a battle between reverse flow bog and a standard flow.. Still weighing out those options. I'm leaning toward the latter and using air in the pond bog as a way to shut down in the winter the rest of the falls and streams and provide filtering and aeration to the pond.

edpm is the liner I am going to use and I will probably lean toward 060
Not planning on any filtration with the exception of a surface skimmer and probably a bottom drain seeing as the pond will probably end up 6 to 7 feet deep. I was able to get the basic shape of the pond dug out along with the stream and main falls along with a 6 in perimeter drain between my property and my neighbor trying to divert as much water as possible seeing as he fertilizes his back yard and that's the last thing I need.
Pictures to follow
Happy building. Can’t wait to see pictures. Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This past weekend pics
20230729_095238.jpg
20230729_102210.jpg
20230729_101930.jpg
of the pond
20230729_101917.jpg
20230729_101602.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You deserve to win!
Thank you @addy1
Seeing these videos really puts a smile on my face! So very cool!

And yes, Facebook can be a very good resource for certain things. I first started using it some 15 years ago as a prompt for writing essays. There are so many dedicated groups for just about everything imaginable! So I'd get into a discussion on whatever topic I was working on in one of the groups dedicated to that topic, then use the comments and my replies to sketch out talking points for an essay. It worked for everything from academic articles to journalistic essays. Still does!

I'm so glad you see your hard work getting the recognition it deserves! The power of networking at its best!
I appreciate it @YShahar
Your pond is my first inspiration. I did have a small pond, but after seeing yours, I continue to tweak and build mine. I hope to have half as nice a pond as yours. Truly beautiful.

HECK OF A COMPLIMENT THANKS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As i was walking around the pond looking at it with all the lights on an ISSUE surfaced. Whats the expression be careful what you ask for ! When i first started building the pond the goal was to achieve clear water, healthy water. Keep the fish healthy and maybe start to multiply? Well as I was out this evening at the pond I decided to take a little video of the lights, even though its a far cry from the quality I would like. Well as I was doing so I FOUND A BIT OF A PROBLEM

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@GBBUDD Koi roundup coming soon! The big fish don't seem to bother the babies one bit. Hope you have a lot of pond friends that need fish soon.

Way to go grandpa
gpa dances.gif

12.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Ian I keep seeing this when I try to post here. Maybe it's just me but I updated everything and it's still doing it. I can get stuff posted but then have to go back and delete a duplicate post when I hit try again or etc.

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
You should sign up for one of those artists sites and make prints of these photos! That top one should be framed and on someone's wall!

Ask a Question