Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got a message last night from Greg Whittstock seems he was at a seminar one that he was taking not giving. I Guess it was for landscaping and they had selected his video of my pond to show a well done video and layout. He told the guy it was not his creation but a diy. You never know where something that gets out on the internet where it will be used!! Hey where's my royalty? @Pablo NEED A JOB? I TRIED TO ATTACH IT BUT I GUESS because it was in a message i can't do so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol, that is a great story. You definitely have a case. But of course after my fees and expenses it will actually cost you more than what you would recover;) But you would have a moral victory.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol, that is a great story. You definitely have a case. But of course after my fees and expenses it will actually cost you more than what you would recover;) But you would have a moral victory.
IT'S THE PRINCIPAL I BUSTED MY BUTTOX ... so what else is new the blood suckers are the only ones that make out after all who else even offers latnum staples.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IT'S THE PRINCIPAL I BUSTED MY BUTTOX ... so what else is new the blood suckers are the only ones that make out after all who else even offers latnum staples.
We might actually have a class action suit because he also used my video. It was used as an example of how not to build a pond. But still used without my permission;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ITS FREE ADVERTISING.. being linked to Aquascapes is invaluable in my book. Greg has spent millions in his advertising and vloging. If we weren't on the cusp of world war FINAL..... I'D BE JUMPING SHIP AND BUILDING PONDS.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now that the pond has had the landscape's i's dotted and T's crossed . It's time to beef up the filtration, THE FISH ARE GETTING BIGGER and someone keeps buying more.

So I added the shower last year to add oxygen to the water before it drops into the bog. I'm doing this by reversing the flow, instead of pumping to the bottom of the bog. I am now pumping to the top of a 5 foot wide 4 tier shower. The water then falls into the top of the snorkel that is a foot taller than the water level of the bog. The snorkel is solid and the water can only exit through the centipede at the bottom. Thus doing as designed raising up through the centipede. Its doing the same with the exception of pushing debris toward the snorkel. So it now drops in the top of the snorkel. With the exception of the sediment in the water being pushed toward the snorkel or clean out. It will now drop onto a floating bed filter of K1 within the snorkel. I have dropped in 3 liters of k1. it should catch any debris and chop it up or just remove the flow. Replacing with displacement very slowly as the snorkel is 24 inch that way the debris should just fall into the debris trap at the bottom of the snorkel.

And if that wasn't enough i will be adding in the spring a bead GC TEK nano 6.3 filter , that will be really my only mechanical filter. Its already in the shop ready to go i just have to plumb it up.
don't see any issues on the horizon due to lack of filtration

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You got a nice looking pond gc tec filters are the bomb keep up the good work👍

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You got a nice looking pond gc tec filters are the bomb keep up the good work👍

Thanks. I'm hoping so i went with the nano it should do the job as i want it too. everyone says the aqua ultraviolet but using water to discharge sediment in water is diffused by water as it's pushed trough water. which is their claim to fame. Gc tek and others use a 2 hp air pump and air automatically wants to rise and will not stop or be reduced by water because it is going to rise no matter what you do add a strong air pump and it will toss and turn things over and over. Sacramento koi advantage was my first choice but it's just too much money for a third filter on my pond second place is good enough for me.

Where in ct are you? do you have a good size pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
bristol /wolcott area good size pond 13000 i run a GCtec alpha1 filter bottom drain( koi toilet) 4" with diffuser hakko 150 air pump 85 gal sediment chamber zap pure uv unfortunately no bog yet built around same time as you lot of work but still best stress release one can have wish i had more time to do more

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm actually debating about adding a couple horizontal 2 inch cut pvc across the top of the bead filter. My thinking is that if the entire area up at the top where the water is being drawn to very very slowly it will not have to pull the debris as deep into the media in order to clean it. If more water has a chance to drop its debris before it even get to a point where it's being pulled it the easier it will be to keep clean and back wash. They have three risers at the top . I'd prefer it all to be pulling across. I have seen similar with another brand

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bristol /wolcott area good size pond 13000 i run a GCtec alpha1 filter bottom drain( koi toilet) 4" with diffuser hakko 150 air pump 85 gal sediment chamber zap pure uv unfortunately no bog yet built around same time as you lot of work but still best stress release one can have wish i had more time to do more
Get some photos of your pond up on a forum or do you already have some?
i see you joined around the same time i did but i don't remember your name or your pond. i'm just around the corner from you.

i'll have some fish this spring that i'll be looking for new homes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Added a G-tek nano bead filter. While the bog works great . My pond with the remakes adding on to the pond my original location of my skimmer worked great that is untill I built the intake bay and now had water flowing in different directions. The skimmer was my only means of mechanical filtration.

So my solution was to add a large bead filter to the pond this way I could remove solids much sooner than when the built up in the bog.
Screenshot_20240315_122452_Chrome.jpg

Now I have plumbed this as two units working together and also where I can separate them from each other in the event something went wrong. Both the bog and the bead can carry the pond by them selves. And I can byvturning ball valves divert the flow to one or the other or both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Added a G-tek nano bead filter. While the bog works great . My pond with the remakes adding on to the pond my original location of my skimmer worked great that is untill I built the intake bay and now had water flowing in different directions. The skimmer was my only means of mechanical filtration.

So my solution was to add a large bead filter to the pond this way I could remove solids much sooner than when the built up in the bog. View attachment 162221

Now I have plumbed this as two units working together and also where I can separate them from each other in the event something went wrong. Both the bog and the bead can carry the pond by them selves. And I can byvturning ball valves divert the flow to one or the other or both.
I see some purple primer on the pipe to the bog. Next time I expect a cleaner job;)

Ask a Question