Gold fish fry and their colors -- a transparent Shubunkin?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any update pic on this?
Yes, & no, LOL! I just went out and tried to get some photos -- I ended making a video, but I'll have to go frame-by-frame to get any decent pics. So, pics to follow later.....

The babies have all colored up well, though none are spectacular -- their colors are mostly a little orange or a little black on a white background. There are 2 or 3 that appear to have a purple coloration on their backs, and I think they will be pretty.

The one that I raised indoors last winter [the one in the final pic, above] has turned out to be beautiful, IMHO! His fins are nice & long and he has the most unusual coloration of whitish-silver with black speckles, but I don't think he has any orange or red on him :(
That's him [arrow] below.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Maggie he looks very much like an American shubunkin bellow I've recreated a reply to the thread "New Member" in introductions It is a description of all three types of shubunkin from the original to the American shubunkin:-

"Please let us extend a warm welcome from across the big pond from Plymouth UK .
We just love your pond and the statue too , may we ask how deep it is taking into concideration that Chicago has cold winters ?
One question what type of shubunkins do you have ?
Confused there are three differing varients of the shubunkin that you can buy for your pleasure .
The London shubunkin this type have stout bodies with short, rounded finnage that is similar to the common goldfish.
Next we have the Bristol shubunkin this type are slim bodied goldfish with well developed finnage possessing a tail that is large, moderately forked, and rounded at the end making a shape similar to that in our eyes of the comet
Last but not least there is the American shubunkin they have a slimmer body shape than the london shubunkin with deeply forked, pointed tail fins, with longer finnage all around"

Do you think I might be right on this guy as he fits the description of aan American Shubunkin or does it fit the description of the Bristol personally the only person to give you a definate would be a judge perhaps you could stick it in the show you plan to go to in the not too distant future ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks! I have 2 fry I'm putting in the tank that's all see through like this so I'm wondering :)

I think he/she's still pretty anyway, variety to add to the group!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dave 54 Of course, all my GF are just pets, but I would like the experience of showing some day -- though not raising fish for show, just having fun and learning.

I've been trying to read up on breed standards for the type of fish I have. I want to have enough knowledge about my fish that I don't look like a dweeb -- newbie is OK, but not a dweeb-newbie :notworthy:.....! Basically, I would like my fishies to at least make it to the judging portion [whether they win, or not.....], which means they have to qualify based on those standards [as well as other show rules, etc.].

This particular fish is technically a mutt. His body type fits the "American" type as he looks like a comet. But, as far as color, I've read that a Shubie has to have 3 colors on a blue background, and the black is suppose to extend into the fins. This guy doesn't have any orange or red, and only has some speckles of color on his fins -- but he does have the bluish or lavender in his base color [you can see it on his back, just in front of the dorsal fin.]

EDITED / ADDED:
But I think I would still enter him in a show [or try to] just because I think he's pretty! Even amidst all those brightly-colored fish in the pond, when this guy swims by, I still gasp! Ah, it's a mother's love :)

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was having keyboard problems, so had to end the previous post...... I would like to start a thread based on "breed standards" for goldfish, though. Again, NOT as an attempt to promote showing goldfish, but as a way for people to understand and recognize what to look for in a nice, healthy fish -- to help them choose wisely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Dave 54 Of course, all my GF are just pets, but I would like the experience of showing some day -- though not raising fish for show, just having fun and learning.

I've been trying to read up on breed standards for the type of fish I have. I want to have enough knowledge about my fish that I don't look like a dweeb -- newbie is OK, but not a dweeb-newbie :notworthy:.....! Basically, I would like my fishies to at least make it to the judging portion [whether they win, or not.....], which means they have to qualify based on those standards [as well as other show rules, etc.].

This particular fish is technically a mutt. His body type fits the "American" type as he looks like a comet. But, as far as color, I've read that a Shubie has to have 3 colors on a blue background, and the black is suppose to extend into the fins. This guy doesn't have any orange or red, and only has some speckles of color on his fins -- but he does have the bluish or lavender in his base color [you can see it on his back, just in front of the dorsal fin.]
Maggie the first aquatic show Val and I show our koi in we were as green as grass and didnt know a thing about showing at all, it was our milkman who said why not have a try so seeing as the show was at the church hall up the top of the road from us we though hey why not give it a go koi in the aquatic shows are under sectiom W.E. for cold water fish , there wee 5 other koi being shown all smaller than ours , we took a 15" metalic Ogon (it too was a pet) and whilst the judging was on popped home for dinner .
When we got back the judge had placed a red sticker on our tank .
We didnt know what it meant but this guy called Andy came over and said looking through the door into the hall , "well done guys you've won" OMG we were over the moon .
We then got a rude awakening to see just how petty and nasty people could be as we had knocked a chap called Jon of he top slot , a place he'd held for 8 years "oh Dear"things over the next five years got worse and worse as we won each time , he got nasty and would come to our own koi shows to bad mouth us.
In the end our good friend and young prodigee got hold of Jon and dragged im to our home and said to him pointing to our koi "that is what your up againt Uncle Jon no stop this Dave and Vals koi are in imacul;ate condition thats why they win.
Thankfully Martin had made him see sense (people used to winning can get very petty indeed) thankfully the all koi shows are different

Dave

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of those TM, some with a lot of spots, some with just a few, some color into the tails, all pretty. A lot getting nice long finnage.

Ask a Question