j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice fish and they are all outside in ponds, even the fantails? That's where it's nice to have those year round warm temps. So when you move will you still keep them all outdoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have goldfish that came with the 55 gal aquarium I purchased, thus the desire to have an outside pond this summer! You know, free fish, into expensive pond?! The first picture (I think) is an Orange Oranda Fantail. The second pic I thought at first was a Koi, but have learned that Koi have whiskers, so this is a long tail maybe Shubunkin? Any help is greatly appreciated with my identification! I also have 2 regular goldfish, one with an orange "cap" and another with an longtail and orange running from nose to dorsal fin. They are not easy to photograph. Both of the last 2 are white with orange. Is there a specific type that is that coloration (Comets?) or could be anything? Thanks!

Attachments

• Mimi The Fantail Goldfish.jpg
    Mimi The Fantail Goldfish.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 439
  • Calico goldfish.jpg
    Calico goldfish.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 345

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From reading they go by color, tail shape, body shape, the second picture does look like a shubunkin.
That is what starts it a free fish, now need a pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep my calico fantails in my pond all winter here and have not lost one and our winters can some times get down to 0 degrees

Reaction score
Here is a brief description of the types of pond goldfish:

Common or hibuna: Hibuna is the Japanese term for what we call the common goldfish. (In Japan, the wakin is the "common goldfish.") The hibuna is a colorful version of the wild carp ancestors of the goldfish. The tail is short (not more than 1/4 the body length) with rounded lobes. It comes in all shades between true red and lemon yellow, with orange the most common. It can be red/orange/yellow with black, although the black color is often unstable. It can be solid white or mixtures of white and red/orange/yellow. A calico hibuna is called a London shubunkin.

Comet: Comets originated in the US. They are similar to commons, but have a somewhat more slender body than the hibuna and have a long forked tail. Ideally the tail should be as long or longer than the body in a mature specimen, but if the tail is too long to be a proper hibuna and has pointed lobes, it's called a comet. They come in the same colors as the hibuna. Red and white comets are called sarasa comets. Calico comets are called shubunkins, American shubunkins, or Japanese/American shubunkins.

Shubunkins: In addition to the two types of shubunkins listed above, the Bristol shubunkin has the body form of the hibuna with a large heart-shaped tail.

Wakin: This is the "common goldfish" of Japan. The body shape is like the hibuna with a slight downward tuck at the tail. The tail is double, rather than single like the varieties above. It comes in all the colors of the above varieties. The red in red and white wakins is often particularly vibrant. It also comes in calico, and that is called a calico wakin.

Watonai: Watonai are basically long-tailed wakins. They come in all the colors of the above fish.

Jikin: The jikin is like the hibuna in body shape, but has a fully split double tail. From the back, the tail looks like a four-leafed clover. It's not common in the US, but is considered a pond fish in the far east.

You can see all of these as well as many kinds of fancy goldies at the Rain Garden site.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never bought a heater and calicos I have had in the pond for over 4 years now and they do fine .I never new winters could be bad for them .just thought they were like the koi winter hardy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 of them a dark one and this one but do not have good pic of the dark spotted one

Attachments

• fish 028.jpg
    fish 028.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 356
  • fish 029.jpg
    fish 029.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 353

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy those fatties don't look like they are having any trouble competing for food w/ the slim faster fish :lol:

Ask a Question