Goldfish photos only

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm lucky then. My house is very soundproof, and I'm an AC person in the summer, unless the temps are below 65 at night and not humid. AND, my bedroom is on the front side of the house, and the pond is out back. :) I should be just fine with however many frogs make it a home.
Now, I'm wondering what I do (or don't do) if one of the painted turtles (red sliders they are sometimes referred to, I think) decides to make my pond his home? I worry about them trying to dig into the liner, as I think they dig into the mud in the winter to hibernate. Any ideas if I have to worry if they get into the pond?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If it's big (10" across or bigger) I would worry more about it getting or injuring a fish. yes a big one could but small ones are usually no problem if they stay around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, the one I released into my farm pond was only about 4" long, and there was another about 6" long that came under my back deck (next to the pond) and found another 3" one in the drainage ditch behind pasture, so figure sooner or later they will make their way into the pond, I just wanted to be ready to remove them if need be. Thanks, Fishin! You always have good info on hand. :)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I doubt any of those would rip a liner, It's the bigger ones you really have to worry about. Oh and the AC unit drowning out the frogs, :yikesu::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: My outside unit is 10+ year old and loud as @#$%. You can't even hear when it comes on or goes off when the frogs are lit up. I'm going to take a video of my fish feeding, You'll hear them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, I just meant in the summertime, since it's usually so hot and humid, the AC is on, which means the windows are shut! And, since the house is fairly soundproof, and I'm on the other side of the house, I won't hear much. Sounds like your frogs are as loud as the cicadas that have hatched in wooded areas! They were "screaming" as we rode by areas of them along the interstate today on motorcycle! I don't have them since I don't live near woods, but others have said they are extremely loud.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CountryEscape said:
Oh, I just meant in the summertime, since it's usually so hot and humid, the AC is on, which means the windows are shut! And, since the house is fairly soundproof, and I'm on the other side of the house, I won't hear much. Sounds like your frogs are as loud as the cicadas that have hatched in wooded areas! They were "screaming" as we rode by areas of them along the interstate today on motorcycle! I don't have them since I don't live near woods, but others have said they are extremely loud.

Video loading now, they started up almost like I planned it to happen! They are similar to a bunch of large cicada, just three times louder! LOL I didn't hear the Bullfrog and didn't here the leopards mating call while I was outside but the spring peepers, tree frogs and toads were going at it and a new one I haven't heard before that barked, you may hear it in the video, I'm guessing it may have been one of the leopard frogs, not sure it was a whole new sound I hadn't heard before.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
[ame]

here you go countryescape, listen to the waterfall, that's 3600 gallons rushing down the water fall and stream not 5 feet away, then listen you can barely hear it when the 20-30 frogs crank up. Not that loud tonight, a good rain and it would easily be three to five times louder!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
WOW!!!! I've never heard some of those frog sounds, I sure can understand why you say they are loud. LOL I have the spring peepers, and maybe some tree frogs (remember, not many trees in my yard, and woods are a mile away), do toads make a croaking sound or sign? You have at least one that is very unique, never heard that one. I do have toads that live in the windowwell only about 10' from the pond, so wonder if they will choose to hang out near the pond now. Someone said they lay eggs, in the water? I've never noticed that before. I will encourage any frogs that want to make my pond home, and the barn swallows will hopefully help keep the mosquito population down, too. Thanks for sharing the video, and your fish are gorgeous! LOVE that big white spotted butterfly! And, your black huge fish didn't seem to be very hungry, he must have already eaten. :) I assume cheerios were the "treat" at the end, maybe?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Right at the first of the video you will hear a bark (Unknown which frog does that) That's a new sound then the toads then another bark. Then the whole group of frogs join in. They do kind of sound like geese. lol The big guys love the honey Nut cheerios as snacks.The big guys go after the cheerios so it gives the smaller guys a chance to get some smaller pellets.
Frogs do lay their eggs in water, Frogs tend to have smaller groups of eggs, Toads eggs look more like spaghetti stings with black dots...lol
I think the fish your talking about at the end, Mainly black with orange speckling showing through. That is actually a Comet goldfish, Not a butterfly Koi. he's one of the oldest fish in the pond, originally it was solid black but as it's gotten older more and more orange has shown through. It's a full 14"+ in size. If you notice the Big brown Chagoi butterfly koi, that's Lucky. I got that fish as a comet also, a guy brought it into a petshop I visit along with 6 large comets. The store owner took the comets but said no one would buy a big brown Comet and they didn't have a place to keep it. I offered to buy it from the guy, He was getting $10 or the 6 comets so I gave him $10 for it, I didn't even know until I got home that it wasn't a comet at all but a large Butterfly Chagoi Koi. He's super sweet and super tame. My step daughter loves to lay down on the deck and get him to come up and let her pet his head. It's the only one in the pond that really hand feeds. We are going to be culling about 5-6 fish out of the pond sometime next week. Some didn't turn out like I expected, one has a spot on it's back that we are going to pull and see if we can get a closer look at and one has a really bad tail that we didn't notice until we got it home. Got to get the fish load down in this pond. Wish I could find someone here that wanted some fish. I can take them to my dealer but I would really rather pass them on to another hobbyist

Ask a Question