Goldfish photos only

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Show us your goldies and related fish. No Koi or Butterfys in this thread please. If they have a special name for their type of goldie, please include that with your post.

Attachments

• fish5.gif
    fish5.gif
    18 KB · Views: 791
  • goldfish71.gif
    goldfish71.gif
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,732

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah a goldie pictures thread!

In the spring,............my two lil fellows are under ice now!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here's a few of my pets. No special names.........just red, oj, or white/red etc. I find if you give them names then the Heron will come and snatch them away so no names for mine.
I have over 2 dozen in there right now. Lots of black ones that haven't turned color yet.

jvn44.jpg

This one is my biggest at around 8"
IMG_1386.jpg

I'm rather fond of the white fleshy colored ones also:
IMG_1387.jpg

Here's a couple trying to get some eggs laid and fertilized last summer:
IMG_1043.jpg

I really would like to hunt for some shubunkins this Spring in the petstores as I really love them to death.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Great photos JW. I was not looking for pet names. That adds no value to the thread, just the type of goldie (species) names.
thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Shubies are beautiful, but a lot of them are hyperactive. I've heard people say that the only goldies they've had jump out of the pond were shubies. I have 4 shubies. The first I got at Walmart. Pretty Baby has lots of blue with a red head and gorgeous long flowing fins. Unfortunately, a blue fish doesn't show up that well in a pond. I got Spooky Fish at Petsmart. He has a nice blue color, but his name reflects the fact that it was about a month in the quarantine tank before he stopped hiding every time I came into the room. He didn't settle down until I got a couple of pretty $0.13 comets who knew what people were good for. These fish are overdue to go to the pond, but I want to remodel it first. I got a couple of adorable little shubies at Walmart about two weeks ago. They are really fun to watch. I finally bought some duckweed. When I toss some in the aquarium, the stream of water from the filter pushes the duckweed down into the water, and the little guys spend hours chasing down every last tiny duckweed plant. Then they leave a pile of bright green poop in the corner of the tank.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DrDave said:
Great photos JW. I was not looking for pet names. That adds no value to the thread, just the type of goldie (species) names.
thanks for sharing.

Gotcha, DrDave. I haven't the foggiest what mine are. I think they are just comets tho :fish:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Shakaho, your Shubbies sound very pretty. I will check at the stores but not till Spring or Summer so I can transport them in decent weather and they won't have to be shocked into a cold, cold pond. My pond is a pretty good size so I hope they won't jump out and commit suicide. That would be horrible. I wonder how high they can jump cuz I have pretty big rocks around my pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the warm spring if our two lil goldies survive, they will get the company of more of the .13 maybe the .59 goldies, save them from being eaten.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep Addy that's a nice thing to do. I started out w/ a dozen of those little ones and I got some from freecycle too. All are doing fine that are left from Mr Herons (I think I've got that under control now) visits and have multiplied into over 2 dozen but that's over about 8yrs so as you can see I don't get huge population booms and that's a good thing :fish:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Yep Addy that's a nice thing to do. I started out w/ a dozen of those little ones and I got some from freecycle too. All are doing fine that are left from Mr Herons (I think I've got that under control now) visits and have multiplied into over 2 dozen but that's over about 8yrs so as you can see I don't get huge population booms and that's a good thing :fish:

Have not seen any herons near the pond yet. Do have raccoon prints though. My pond in arizona has large healthy .13 goldies, they have been there for around 7 years now.

Reaction score
There are so many predatory birds here, that I keep a net on my pond. I figure that if they haven't fished successfully in my pond the discouragement of a net should encourage them to look elsewhere. Once they find it's a good place to eat, they'll keep trying to get through your defenses.

Addy, when I was in Petsmart yesterday, They had a tank with sarasa comets for $5.99. Three feet away was the $.27 tank with several sarasa comets almost exactly the same size and just as pretty.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have a pond in Arizona? Oh my I think I'd like to be there right now. We head down there to get some sunshine sometimes. Now that DH has retired (a couple weeks ago) we will visit more often maybe. We have raccoons coming here but they never bother the pond. I think it's cuz I have deep sides and big rocks around the sides w/ wire fence and lots of trippy things that annoys them too much
raccoon.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
You have a pond in Arizona? Oh my I think I'd like to be there right now. We head down there to get some sunshine sometimes. Now that DH has retired (a couple weeks ago) we will visit more often maybe. We have raccoons coming here but they never bother the pond. I think it's cuz I have deep sides and big rocks around the sides w/ wire fence and lots of trippy things that annoys them too much
raccoon.gif

When my hubby died I met a great guy and moved to maryland to marry him (poor guy still has to work lmao). Still have the pond and house in arizona, market too sucky to sell it. So it is rented, have a professional pond keeper taking care of the goldies! lol

It is so darn hot in the summer though, the winters are great. January is the coldest month there, never owned a coat until I moved here

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When he gets to retire you may want to leave the cold of Maryland in winter and live down in Arizona til it gets too hot in the summer :twisted:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here are some pics of my largest goldies. The Largest ryukin calico is now getting close to 10" and the body is about the size of a soft ball, the smaller calico that is darker with the Red head is just under 8" and the body is a little larger than a baseball or tennis ball.
The black and red Comet is close to 10".
The Red head Sarrasa is maybe 8" That's a two inch PVC pipe it's swimming up to for reference of size.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 370
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg