sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope I call them olive oil and popeye and they eat there fair share the are the first ones to the dinner plate when I call them .I love to watch them wiggle there little fat rear ends to swim

Reaction score
Competition for food really isn't relevant in a healthy pond, where fish already have all the food they need. Feeding them is just a recreation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
fishin4cars said:
Here are some pics of my largest goldies. The Largest ryukin calico is now getting close to 10" and the body is about the size of a soft ball, the smaller calico that is darker with the Red head is just under 8" and the body is a little larger than a baseball or tennis ball.
The black and red Comet is close to 10".
The Red head Sarrasa is maybe 8" That's a two inch PVC pipe it's swimming up to for reference of size.

Fishin - you said "Red Head Sarrasa", is that the blue fish? Wow, is that a gorgeous fish! Never seen a blue one before. And, I just noticed that the picture that I posted with the orange fantail that I called it an Oranda, does not look like the fish in my aquarium! It is the pic that the previous owner sent to me, and it was such a good pic I posted it, but I think the fish I have is the type with the "brain" on the outside. LOL It is dark orange gooky looking stuff on the top of her head. Isn't it an Oranda if it has the gobby stuff on top of the head? If so, then that is what it is, just wrong pic! And, yes, I think my other fish are Comets. Just picked out 3 tri-colored comet babies, only about 1.5" long, and they all 3 have white bodies, with orange and black spots, and then black going along their topline, top fin is black, too. Very different than what I have seen, but I'm sure just "common". :) I will try to get a better pic of my fantail and post it. More pics, folks! I love learning about goldfish, and glad to hear that others have wintered goldfish and even fantails!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CountryEscape said:
Fishin - you said "Red Head Sarrasa", is that the blue fish? Wow, is that a gorgeous fish! Never seen a blue one before. And, I just noticed that the picture that I posted with the orange fantail that I called it an Oranda, does not look like the fish in my aquarium! It is the pic that the previous owner sent to me, and it was such a good pic I posted it, but I think the fish I have is the type with the "brain" on the outside. LOL It is dark orange gooky looking stuff on the top of her head. Isn't it an Oranda if it has the gobby stuff on top of the head? If so, then that is what it is, just wrong pic! And, yes, I think my other fish are Comets. Just picked out 3 tri-colored comet babies, only about 1.5" long, and they all 3 have white bodies, with orange and black spots, and then black going along their topline, top fin is black, too. Very different than what I have seen, but I'm sure just "common". :) I will try to get a better pic of my fantail and post it. More pics, folks! I love learning about goldfish, and glad to hear that others have wintered goldfish and even fantails!

The Red head sarras is the red with white body, 5th pic, The one that appears to be blue in the pic there is actually a black comet, I bought it was pure black, each time a scale gets knocked loose it comes back a brownish orange, he's also grown orange then whiteish on the end of it's tail. Here is a pic of my truest BLUE fish the First is a butterfly koi,it's swimming next to the same black Comet I think you are refering to, the second pic is a shubunkin that has a metallic blue, I have yet to get a good picture of it.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I see what you're saying, Fishin, about the black/blue fish. That Blue Butterfly Koi is really neat! Love that! I tried for a very long time this evening to get another picture of my orange fantail, and I have posted it here, and will let you decide what it is, if the picture is clear enough, that is. She kept going up for food, then down and swam fast, then back up. What a pig, that's why I call her Mimi. LOL Is it an Oranda then? If I had bought it, I would know, but I got her with my aquarium, so I'm going by other pictures and what I "think" she is! I guess getting a picture from an aquarium is easier than from a pond, though. :)

Attachments

• MimiGoldfish..jpg
    MimiGoldfish..jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 259

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Red and White Oranda, nice one at that! I've not had good luck with those, That's one of my wifes favorites but I always seem to end up getting a fungus weather it's on the cap or in the fins, I know they like and use salt, like cool water, and not to strong of current, that I have learned about them. Good pic BTW!

Reaction score
shakaho said:
There are so many predatory birds here, that I keep a net on my pond. I figure that if they haven't fished successfully in my pond the discouragement of a net should encourage them to look elsewhere. Once they find it's a good place to eat, they'll keep trying to get through your defenses.

Addy, when I was in Petsmart yesterday, They had a tank with sarasa comets for $5.99. Three feet away was the $.27 tank with several sarasa comets almost exactly the same size and just as pretty.

i honestly could not agree more, i always love seeing the 5.99 sarrassa comets and then looking 2 feet to the right and seeing just as nice and just as large ones for .27 it always excites me lol, but there are times where there are no sarrassa's in the .27 tank so i have to suck it up lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good shopping talal! I need a few more fishes once it gets a little warmer here.
too cold to introduce them into a outside pond. Water is now down to 42 and we are getting colder and some more...maybe........snow.

Beautiful fish fishin, love the blues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, from the goldfish identification info Shakaho posted, I now have the ability to identify the little goldfish I have picked out and on hold, waiting for my 29 gal aquarium to be ready, and buy so they can grow some before putting them into pond this summer! They are calico comets (the tank said Comets, and they have the forked tails), so they would be Shubunkin Comets then. Woohoo! My pond will be mostly calico, but those red and whites are very pretty, too! Besides the Oranda fantail, I have a London Shubunkin, white Comet, white Hibuna with red cap, white Comet with red cap to dorsal fin. Loved the detailed info on identifying goldfish, Shakaho! Thanks.

Reaction score
Here are pictures of my very first 2 fish in my pond 6 or 7 years ago. Big Red and Snuffles. The growth on the side of Big Red is a tumor she has had now for about 3 years. But it does not seem to bother her. She now has a second one forming. And looking the other day it appears Sunffles has one coming on also. They are still my favorites and will live out their lives with the Koi I now have. They are about 16" long. I will find out how muc, if any, they have grown.

Attachments

• BigRed.JPG
    BigRed.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Snuffles.JPG
    Snuffles.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 318
Reaction score
addy1 said:
Good shopping talal! I need a few more fishes once it gets a little warmer here.
too cold to introduce them into a outside pond. Water is now down to 42 and we are getting colder and some more...maybe........snow.

Beautiful fish fishin, love the blues

why thank you addy i really do try lol, and me too i can't wait to add a few more fish to my pond but since we still have 2 foot high snow here, i don't think that will happen until mid may sadly....

RSFish1 said:
Here are pictures of my very first 2 fish in my pond 6 or 7 years ago. Big Red and Snuffles. The growth on the side of Big Red is a tumor she has had now for about 3 years. But it does not seem to bother her. She now has a second one forming. And looking the other day it appears Sunffles has one coming on also. They are still my favorites and will live out their lives with the Koi I now have. They are about 16" long. I will find out how much, if any, they have grown.

wow those are very amazing fish, i love deep red goldfish they just glow in a pond and aquarium and 16"!!! WOW very cool

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Our Gold fish pond adds from the Koi farm. and a pleco for algae control Will add the Tank pics once I can get some decent photos, taking photos through the glass is not easy!

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 279

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Finally, here are the three new tank adds. Notice the comets fins? There were some with longer! This ones pattern just really caught my eye. The wife got the Big pearlscale and Lionhead.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 324
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 240

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice fatties and oh man I'd love to have some of those long finned goldies in my pond :banana:

Ask a Question