Goldfish Silver Eye - Maybe Popeye??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Two of my goldfish now have one eye that appears to stick out farther than the other. They almost look silver when looking down on them. I tried taking several pictures. None of them were great, but this one is the best of the bunch. I thought this might be popeye, but it's only affecting one eye and it doesn't look exactly like the pictures I googled. Maybe I'm just over-reacting and it's nothing?? If not I would like to treat it before it gets worse. I'm just not sure what it is or how to treat it. I'm hoping someone here has seen this before and can let me know what it is and the best course of treatment.

Orange one's left eye and red/white one's right eye.

500 Gallon Pond with near perfect water conditions: Ammonia 0.0; Nitrates 0.0; Nitrites 0.0; PH 7.5

Attachments

• View recent photos(1).jpg
    View recent photos(1).jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Usually popeye would be the result of poor water conditions or injury. Does not look like its water (since no nitrates) and doubt two fish would have one eye injured unless there are sharp objects or aggressive fish. Hard to tell, are those fantails? Thinking of all the mutant gene eye variations in fancy goldfish. If they otherwise look good, I would watch them. Any cloudiness in the eye at all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Usually popeye would be the result of poor water conditions or injury. Does not look like its water (since no nitrates) and doubt two fish would have one eye injured unless there are sharp objects or aggressive fish. Hard to tell, are those fantails? Thinking of all the mutant gene eye variations in fancy goldfish. If they otherwise look good, I would watch them. Any cloudiness in the eye at all?

They are Wakin goldfish. I also have one very small shubunkin that is showing the same symptoms (including only one eye), but I couldn't get a good picture of him. No cloudiness in the eyes that I can tell. The shubunkin is newly added to the pond. All three fish started showing the same symptoms about 1-2 days apart. It's been a pretty quick spread. I think it might be bacterial (instead of injury) since it seems to be spreading, but what doesn't make sense for bacterial is that it's only one eye affected on all three fish. To be safe I quarantined the three impacted fish. I'm just hoping it doesn't spread further as my quarantine tank is just a 20 gallon plastic bin. The problem is I don't know if I should be treating them for anything or just keeping them sperated. I did add some salt to the main pond as well. I'm not sure what else to do or if anything else is even needed.

Edit: They have been spawning lately so maybe they really are just getting beat up???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are Wakin goldfish. I also have one very small shubunkin that is showing the same symptoms (including only one eye), but I couldn't get a good picture of him. No cloudiness in the eyes that I can tell. The shubunkin is newly added to the pond. All three fish started showing the same symptoms about 1-2 days apart. It's been a pretty quick spread. I think it might be bacterial (instead of injury) since it seems to be spreading, but what doesn't make sense for bacterial is that it's only one eye affected on all three fish. To be safe I quarantined the three impacted fish. I'm just hoping it doesn't spread further as my quarantine tank is just a 20 gallon plastic bin. The problem is I don't know if I should be treating them for anything or just keeping them sperated. I did add some salt to the main pond as well. I'm not sure what else to do or if anything else is even needed.

Edit: They have been spawning lately so maybe they really are just getting beat up???
spawning can cause all sorts of injuries of all kinds.

Ask a Question