Good Foods for Great Health

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by koiguy1969, Feb 15, 2012.

1. koiguy1969

peter hillman Let me think for minute....

Not all Green Giant foods come from the east. I worked in a Green Giant canning plant in Washington when I was young... Dang that was a long time ago, I guess now they could outsource their products. Also did some vegetable packing for a huge plant that did various customers, Birds Eye was the premium product there, I recommend it.

peter hillman, Aug 4, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. koiguy1969

Mike in Vermont

I've picked about 25 quarts of red raspberries so far. I've made pies and shortcake. Vacuum sealed and froze a bunch, too.

Mike in Vermont, Aug 5, 2016
    addy1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. koiguy1969

Jeanie master Geni

Have you ever heard of Dr. William Davis, wrote "Wheat Belly"...facinating. I lost 40 lbs. eating fats, nuts, whole foods and avoiding all suger, grains, and processed foods.

Jeanie master, Aug 27, 2016
  4. koiguy1969

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

IMG_20170118_120107.jpg

koiguy1969, Jan 18, 2017
    peter hillman and addy1 like this.
  5. koiguy1969

6. koiguy1969

sissy sissy

Try watercress in your salads .It is great tasting and found it is a great food for all kinds of things .I have put it in my salads ever since I was a child and grew it .Did you notice carrots are mentioned a lot .I can eat 2 lbs of carrots a week if I could .But I always run out .Great snack food

sissy, Feb 26, 2017
    HARO and callingcolleen1 like this.
  7. koiguy1969

Lisak1

We harvest the watercress that we grow in our pond and eat it, juice it, or add it to green smoothies. Great stuff! And great filtration for your pond!

Lisak1, Feb 26, 2017
    HARO, callingcolleen1 and sissy like this.
  8. koiguy1969

DeepWater The Great Abyss

I love the taste of fresh watercress. What other plants would grow good in a garden pond, bog included, that would be safe to eat? Is anything normally safe, but when grown in a pond, becomes unsafe for consumption?

DeepWater, Feb 26, 2017
  9. koiguy1969

sissy sissy

lemon grass .parsley ,oregano,celery .It is like putting waste water from your pond into your veggie garden .I got a bumper crop of potato's from the waste water again this year

sissy, Feb 26, 2017
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  10. koiguy1969

Lisak1

Your pond won't make anything unsafe to consume, any more than your garden soil would. You are generally consuming the top of any plant that grows in your pond, so just make sure to wash it well and you'll be fine. One year we grew tomatoes in our bog, just to see if we could. I had a couple of cuttings that I had pruned off of my garden plants so I just stuck them in the water. They grew like CRAZY and produced loads of delicious tomatoes.

We pump water out of our pond to water our gardens on a regular basis. I figure I'm going to use water for the garden anyway - I may as well give the plants the nutrient rich water and give the fish the fresh water. Seems like a nice trade off! It's a bit slower way to water - I drop a sump pump in the pond and pump water or stick a watering can in and fill it up a few gallons at a time for my hanging baskets - but it's kind of relaxing when I'm not in a hurry.

Lisak1, Mar 2, 2017
    callingcolleen1, addy1 and HARO like this.
  11. koiguy1969

DeepWater The Great Abyss

Yeah I'm with you Lisak1. I've been using pond water for 16 years to water my garden. During dry spells I'd have a watering pail in each hand as I dump gallons of pond water on every plant. I would take an hour after work doing this watering... lowering the pond by 6 inches and counting on a rain a couple days later to fill it back up.

It does totally make sense that growing plants directly in the water wouldn't be any different as far as being safe to consume. I thought I had read somewhere about issues with this, but it must have been more to tuber style veggies - potatoes or carrots.

DeepWater, Mar 2, 2017
  12. koiguy1969

13. koiguy1969

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

I have arthritis too but one would hardly notice as the trick is to stay mobile, that way you won't cease up like a rusty old wheel. Large dose of medical marijuana REALLY makes big difference. I am all right and move faster than people half my age. Stay moble and light one up. Is all good!

callingcolleen1, May 16, 2017
  14. koiguy1969

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

And for people worried that some will toke and drive, not going to change as people already are smoking up a storm. I would be more concerned about drinking and driving and those taking the most addictive pharmaceutical hard drugs and mixing that with alcohol and driving..... Now that is a really big problem

callingcolleen1, May 16, 2017
  15. koiguy1969

Lisak1

Finally! The secret to @callingcolleen1 's perky personality! ;)

I had started experiencing some arthritis in my fingers - very creaky in the morning and my grip strength was all but gone. I eliminated all added sugar from my diet - problem gone. All my joints feel better as a matter of fact. And I agree - if you want to be able to move with ease, you've got to keep moving!

Lisak1, May 17, 2017
    callingcolleen1 and MoonShadows like this.
  16. koiguy1969

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Sugar causes inflammation in the body. Cut it out, and the inflammation subsides.

MoonShadows, May 17, 2017
    callingcolleen1 and Mucky_Waters like this.
  17. koiguy1969

Mucky_Waters

I wish it was that simple. Avoiding sugar is harder then it seems, it takes many forms and is created in the body from other food (Eg; Carbohydrates). And unfortunately there is a long list of other foods that can cause inflammation in the body and different people have different reactions to the foods on that list.
    The easier approach is to learn which foods are neutral or anti-inflammatory and learn how to only eat the foods on that list. I say "learn how to eat those foods" because even that isn't easy. By the time most people become adults they have already established a particular type of diet for themselves and trying to change that diet can be as hard, or harder, then quitting smoking.

Mucky_Waters, May 17, 2017
  18. koiguy1969

MoonShadows The Jam Man

A good caveat, Mucky. I have done a lot of reading and research about sugar, and am familiar with the different types of sugars and how many foods get broken down into sugars. I guess I should have been more encompassing in my statement. And, there are other foods that can and do cause inflammation, worse for some than others. However, if Americans would work on cutting down "added", especially refined sugars (difficult, but not impossible due to habits and sugars addictive properties), many millions would be so much healthier and feel so much better. In 2014, The United States Department of Agriculture reported that the average American consumes between 150 to 170 pounds of refined sugars in one year!

MoonShadows, May 17, 2017
  19. koiguy1969

tbendl T

"reads this while eating a glazed doughnut"

tbendl, May 17, 2017
  20. koiguy1969

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Just a little comment about eating things grown in your pond, bog etc. Any root vegetables are a big No-No. Too easily contaminated. You will ot find any root vegetable grown in commercial aquaponic facilities for this exact reason.

Meyer Jordan, May 17, 2017
    callingcolleen1 and Mucky_Waters like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question