Good Foods for Great Health

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I think that comes down to lifestyle. Most people don't have time to have a huge sitdown dinner in the mornings for breakfast since you're on the go. But in the evening, when you're back home and all rested, that's the time for the huge meal. And I'm usually not that hungry in the mornings. And I usually go to the gym around noon to 2pm so I don't want to have a huge meal in the mornings.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
even squirrels and such, just know!!
1545952_10152137587051030_1572861962_n.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Yep that's the way we were raised here. Found this interesting loooooooooooooooong write up on the subject of switching meals. I found it quite interesting.

http://todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/tdjuly2007pg48.shtml
good read jw

JohnHuff said:
I think that comes down to lifestyle. Most people don't have time to have a huge sitdown dinner in the mornings for breakfast since you're on the go. But in the evening, when you're back home and all rested, that's the time for the huge meal. And I'm usually not that hungry in the mornings. And I usually go to the gym around noon to 2pm so I don't want to have a huge meal in the mornings.

I wake up around 3 am hungry............. a big breakfast and I am almost done eating for the day, but we eat a nice lunch very small dinner.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have read so many times that breakfast is the most important meal. You simply must eat something before going to work.
By the way, I tried those shake diets a long time ago. I think it was the Carnation one where it was a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch and a healthy dinner. And it was the worse diet I ever tried. I had gas and the runs. It was the loudest and foulest diet I ever tried. I made sure to wear brown pants the whole time I was on it.
callingcolleen1 said:
I have to eat something before I go to work.... or I might end up attacking and biting a poor cheese bun in the corner at work! ha ha ha

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
OK, I'm trying to do that big breakfast thing. Today, I started with a Monte Cristo sandwich, 1/2 a croissant desert thing and a coffee. That's usually more than I eat. Oh, actually just realized it's almost lunch time. Make that my brunch.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Is Butter Secretly Ruining Your Health

Growing up, butter was an absolute staple in my household. We thankfully never got into the margarine craze because my mother believed that butter was good for the brain. Turns out, she was right about that and scientists have now concluded that butter is actually good for you in other areas too. It’s high in a compound call CLA that protects you from tumor growth and cancer, is not inflammatory like man-made oils from corn, canola or soy, and provides a nice dose of Omega 3 fatty acids, if you get it from the right source. But finding the right source can be tricky given all the buzz words and fancy marketing these days. Choosing the wrong type of butter can secretly ruin your health without you even knowing it! Here’s a look at what’s really going on and how to choose the healthiest butter for you and your family.
Beware of Monsanto Butter

Slide1.jpg

I call conventional butter “Monsanto Butter,” because it comes from cows fed almost entirely genetically engineered or GMO grains and Monsanto is the largest producer of GMOs.
Conventionally raised cows are most commonly fed GMO corn and soy, however, some farmers fatten up their feed with additional sugar from GMO sugar beets and cottonseed. Cotton is the most toxic crop because it isn’t treated as a food crop but as a textile (it has less regulation.) And then conventional dairy cow feed is sometimes fortified with additional protein, Omega 3 fatty acids and CLA from GMO rapeseed (canola) because the cows are not getting these nutrients naturally from the grass. GMO alfalfa hay is also commonly fed to cows. So basically, conventionally raised cows are almost entirely getting their food from GMOs – food that was created in a laboratory, that hasn’t been tested long term, but has produced horrific results in several alarming animals studies.
Over 49% of all GMO corn is fed to animals or livestock. Only 2% of the GMO soybeans grown are actually fed to humans, the other 98% get fed to animals. Those figures are pretty scary once you consider the astronomical amounts of herbicides being sprayed on these GMO crops and what they are doing to the increase cancer rates, harm the environment and ourselves.
Land O’Lakes = Monsanto Butter
Land O’ Lakes was a staple in my household growing up. We’d use the whipped butter like it was nobody’s business – my mom would use it on her infamous parathas (Indian stuffed flat bread), in countless desserts and to make homemade ghee. Once I found out what was really happening at Land O’Lakes, my Mom and I had a little chat. I explained to her that Land O’Lakes is owned by a pro-GMO company called Dean Foods. Land O’Lakes co-developed genetically engineered alfalfa, directly contributing to the GMO animal feed supply. I also explained that Land O’Lakes contributed nearly $100,000 to the “No on I-522 Lobby” – the bill to label GMOs in Washington State. This is all on top of the fact that Land O’Lakes is not organic, raises their cows with growth hormones linked to cancer, antibiotics and harmful pesticide ridden GMO feed. I told my Mom she has to stop buying Land O’Lakes if we are going to change this world!
Knowing all these facts, plus the health risks of consuming GMOs, my Mom finally asked “what butter can I buy?” Well there are many brands out there that are light years ahead of Land O’Lakes. Here’s a Butter Buying Guide that will help you (and my Mama) navigate the butter aisle next time you hit the market:

ButterChoices.jpg

How to Choose The Most Nutritious Butter
  1. Organic - First and foremost, look for organic butter. This will ensure there are no growth hormones, antibiotics, harmful pesticides and GMOs being fed to the cows. Growth hormone or rbGH that is used to raise cows conventionally is linked to cancer and often accumulates in highest concentration in animal fat. One organic brand I’m suspicious of however, is Horizon, they are owned by Dean Foods (the same company that owns Land O’Lakes). The Cornucopia Institute has filed complaints for labeling their product organic while maintaining factory farm production methods. I won’t buy Horizon organic for that reason.
  2. Grass-fed - Grass-fed or pastured raised cows are going to be more nutritious than cows raised with grains. Remember, the highest amounts of the most beneficial CLA and Omega 3 fatty acids naturally come from grass-fed cows. Also grass-fed cows produce butter with 50 percent more vitamin A and E and 400 percent more beta carotene (which gives the grass-fed butter a deeper yellow color).
  3. Ghee - Ghee is clarified butter where all the proteins, milk solids and lactose is removed. This makes the butter more digestible, concentrated with nutrients and really great for immunity building. Ghee does not need to be refrigerated, it can stay on the counter for a few months without going bad. People with dairy allergies or sensitives often do ok consuming this type of butter. Pure Indian Foods, Purity Farms and Ancient Organics have the best offerings in that they are both high quality, organic and grass-fed.
  4. In an ideal world, you would be able to find butter that is both organic, grass-fed and no additives like Organic Valley (in the green foil wrapper) , but sometimes that’s just not the case. In that circumstance, I would go for either an organic butter or grass-fed butter like Kerrygold (please note – Kerrygold uses some grains that could be GMOs a couple of months out of the year because grass doesn’t grow year round in Ireland – they admit that 3% of their feed could contain GMOs). Choosing regular organic butter will lessen your exposure to pesticides but will also provide less nutrition since the cows will mostly be fed organic grains vs. grass. Regardless, these choices are superior choices over conventional butter and both options (in light green on the chart above) will lessen your exposure to GMOs.
  5. Beware of butter mixes with labels like “with olive oil” – 9 times out of 10, these butters will have one or more GMO ingredients like soybean, corn or canola oil. These mixes may have questionable additives in them too – check the ingredient list just to be sure!
  6. Don’t Eat Butter? Here are some Vegan Substitutes - If you are vegan, skip all the “butter like” or fake butter spreads like Smart Balance that contain GMO oils, artificial ingredients made from petroleum and unnecessary preservatives. Instead, choose 100% coconut oil, olive oil, red palm oil (that is sustainably harvested from Ecuador and does not hurt the rainforest) or hemp oil instead. Also coconut manna, or butter works well too, when slightly heated it spreads just like butter. (These are also much healthier than organic spreads like Earth Balance that are usually a combo of inflammation causing oils).

Slide3.jpg

Sharing the truth is the first step in changing the food system. If you know someone who is buying Monsanto butter, please share this information with them. Our choices can really change the marketplace, make us healthier and change companies decisions to use these unhealthy ingredients.
Much Love,

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I love butter! Yumm!!!

John Huff, I have not had a Monte cristo sandwich in many years, those are the best sandwich's I have ever had, and it is three am in the morning and I am STARVED.... so you better share next time with me!!! :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
1622630_705208916186241_1215150626_n.jpg

BOYCOTT Kellogg's! On sale at a grocery store near you because no one is buying it, Kellogg's. Cheez-It's are loaded with Roundup Ready GMO soy. Both GMO soy and Roundup have been linked to fertility problems. Tell Kellogg's you're not a lab rat. Tell them if they want their customers back, they must stop fighting GMO labeling, remove GMOs and GET VERIFIED. NO VOLUNTARY LABELING.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Real good episode of Dr. Oz today; Frankenwheat is ruining our health! Guest Dr. William Davis recommends avoiding ALL wheat!
John

Ask a Question