got lucky

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
How do you know theyre Japanese? all koi decend from Japan. were they flown in directly from Japan? any born here are technically domestic.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Fishin, I figured I was going to pick up domestic Koi. Imagine my surprise when I was within viewing distance to see and I'm assuming Japanese bread Koi.
I am very happy being chosen.
Hate to bust the bubble on the Japanese koi, It actually appears to be pretty much all are domestic raised koi. I don't see any that would stand out as Japanese breed and I feel like if there were any the owner would have been quick to point out if they were. Considering that it can cost $100+ to ship a single fish plus the cost of the fish. Usually they would be very distinct and most would be quick to point out who the breeder is and what farm they came from.
Not to say you didn't get any really nice domestic raised, there are a few that are really nice marked but IMO, they are exactly what was listed, Domestic raised. Still a great find!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
exactly right FISHIN'.... the Japanese koi are of the same species genetics as domestics. they are just far more into culling and only raise the cream of the crop to adfulthood. they destroy fish that most people would find very nice or even beautiful....its just a real strict criteria they have. they actually bring a very small percentage of the fry to adequate size for sale. in time,you could breed domestics to be as beautiful as any japanese breeder if you want to breed quality not quantity.and start with the right parentage.....any ways you did good!....enjoy them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I sometimes wonder about koi anymore with all the cross breeding that can go on as over the last couple of years having a mixture of fish in my pond i have gotten some strange looking babies .Two years ago the babies i got were funny looking fantails that I gave to my neighbor for her pond and they now have long flowing tails and the only way I can tell they are my fantails is there fat bodies .I was hoping to get more this year but the only baby I got died in my filter .I think when the dog ripped the liner I could have lost most of my babies with the loss of a lot of water

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I'm a newbie so still learning the ropes.
So at the pond places when they post a pond as Japanese koi they are more than likely domestic? Thus by stating Japanese koi they can get a higher price for them? Seems a bit dishonest to me. Just need clarification.

I'm still happy with what I found.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh, dont fret...you got some nice fish at a nicer price. thats not to say that your fish arent of pure japanese parents...its just they dont appear to be of a high quality. in Japan it may be 100 or less that are kept out of 100,000 fry or more....it also helps to veiw them from the top, rather than the sides. koi are usually veiwed from above. post some top veiw pics when you can.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If a dealer is advertising Japanese koi ask for the farm and breeder name and what line the fish is. If they can't tell you it's safe to assume you probably are getting Domestic and at best directly from japanese bloodline. True imported Koi should have good documentation to who and where they were breed. Being you are in the western part of the US and there are dealers on the west coast (And some on the East coast as well) That are usually the dealers that have the chance to get TRUE Japanese line Koi. It's a good chance that you could run into dealers that do carry them. In our part of the country it's extremely rare right now to see even good quality Domestic Koi. I have not seen any TRUE Japanese koi in the over 20 years that I have been keeping them in our area. the first ones I got to View were in Dallas last year and those were being shown by Hobbyist that were VERY well educated in what they had.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh looking at your member pic here you can really see the size of the one your holding in it .It must have been heavy to pick up,the others look longer but that one looks really fat

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that one really looks like it is huge, the others look longer but that one I think is the biggest and I like the color of it .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well what ever they are, they are nice and will look great in your pond.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Thanks addy1. And again thanks to all for the inputs. Being a newbie all this interaction is very valuable to and for me. All I know is I'm gonna hug them and love them and squeeze them, well maybe not squeeze.

Ask a Question