addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mine have not sprouted yet jw, but just started them a little ago.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well wonders never cease, I actually ran across another yellow koi today! We were getting shrimp at PetCo, when I spotted this one across the row of tanks. A yellow butterfly koi with just a bit of white on the bottom of its belly. It has beautiful flowing fins, possibly longer than the two butterflies I already have, and the yellow color seems pretty strong throughout the body. I wasn't expecting to get any more this season, but I liked the looks of it.

Sorry for the bad focus, but this is the best shot I got of the full body..
img_6038.jpg

This one at least was in focus, but I got some bad distortions through the bag...
img_6039.jpg

Very pretty fish Shdwdrgn, love that lemon yellow color :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
maybe they will name it lemon! it sure is pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Haha I've never named my fish, I leave that up to my wife. I have a hard enough time with dog and cat names. But I agree, it is a nice color, and I can only hope it gets more intense as the fish grows.

Whenever I get a new fish, I always turn them loose in the small lower pond. I figure that going from a 10-gallon store aquarium to a 75-gallon pond is already quite a shock to them, but I always wonder what they must think the first time they swim upstream and discover the big pond? It's funny that the koi never seem to take long to explore upstream. The new fish was in the large pond early this morning, and I see some of the others swimming between the two ponds all the time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reminds me of the movie - Lemony Snicket - from the movie Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events...........oh maybe not name him that one or he may end up w/ too many problems.
Would be neat to have a pond w/ a stream where the fish could travel back and forth between ponds.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine would have to learn to jump the rapids like the trout does.

trout.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Addy - mine have learned... All of the larger fish have to swim over the top of the rocks to get through the river, but it doesn't seem to slow them down. If there's 1/4" of water flowing over the top of the rocks, they just lay sideways and flip right over.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy - mine have learned... All of the larger fish have to swim over the top of the rocks to get through the river, but it doesn't seem to slow them down. If there's 1/4" of water flowing over the top of the rocks, they just lay sideways and flip right over.

It would be tough for them in my stream, the first jump would be 3 feet almost straight up.

Take a video it would be fun to see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
If it weren't for the mosquitoes, tonight's antics would have been good to capture. I saw one of the big koi heading downstream as I stepped out for their night feeding. I always shake the cup of food to let them know I'm coming, and as I started throwing food into the upper pond, the koi came racing back upstream to get her food. Water splashing everywhere, she didn't care. :LOL: Guess I'll have to try and keep the camera handy, and see if I can catch one of them...

Reaction score
Shdwdrgn - Congrats on your new yellow Koi. I have 2 solid yellows and they are quite flashy in my pond. Mine are 6" and 8" and are still bright yellow. I quarantine my fish in a kiddie's hard plastic swimming pool. I use a submergible pump and stick a few of my small water lilies in to keep the fish happy. Easy to set up and store when I don't need it, but the bright blue color is a bit of an eyesore on the patio LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I have a bottom half of a plastic 55-gal barrel that I'm thinking of using next year. Whenever the koi spray eggs on the hyacinths, I'll move the plants into the barrel to let them hatch out. Of course I know I'm gonna be overrun with babies in no time, but I bet I can get a lot of business if I offer them for a low price, and it'll give me a chance to pick and choose any characteristics I want to further breed.

Ask a Question