Grow up tank

Discussion in 'Indoor tanks' started by JamieB, Dec 24, 2017.

1. JamieB

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

Be careful re the temp for the frog. I'm not totally an expert here but from having turtles, I think it may be similar re their metabolism. That is, if you keep it in an 'in-between' temp, it can't either prepare for hibernation nor thrive. PIck one. Since you're keeping it inside, I'd not lower the temp less than 60 F, though again, I'm not sure the 'trigger' point for frogs. For my painted turtles, it was 70. Lower than that and they wouldn't eat well. Just a thought.

brokensword, Dec 27, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. JamieB

JamieB

I’ve never had frogs, I was reading they start hibernating at around 55. According to my toes, the wash room is plenty cold! With The lid hubby will make me tomorrow, I can put it in the back room for a day or two to chill it slowly, then the wash room. I don’t know if they hibernate in water or dirt, so I’ll give it options, and see what it does. I think I may go deeper than just a few inches, like I first thought. Full soil bottom with leaves to hide in, water will make that mud. Apparently some do hibernate in mud at pond bottoms. A container of dry dirt if it prefers. I think that’ll work.

JamieB, Dec 27, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. JamieB

JamieB

Has anyone tried a filter like this?

JamieB, Dec 27, 2017
  4. JamieB

JamieB

We’ve had above freezing temps during the day most of this week, so I found a good spot and kicked the frog out! Good luck froggy! On another note, the bog iris I put in the grow up tank has taken off! The tallest is at least 2’ tall. The fish are growing, with scales now visible. I don’t know if I’m feeding them enough or what, cause they haven’t grown as fast as I thought they would. I figure with the plants in there, feeding them once a day would be enough.

JamieB, Jan 23, 2018
  5. JamieB

mrsclem mrsclem

I have a 75 gallon preform pond in my front yard. We had a large bullfrog in there this fall. The pond froze solid for over 3 weeks. When it thawed, not only is the bullfrog still alive but he has a friend!

mrsclem, Jan 23, 2018
    JamieB likes this.
  6. JamieB

JamieB

Well I’m down to 6. I think I added water from the bucket from town, not from the pond. About to do a big change on it. Tap is very close to what we already had, ( lol, nitrates are slightly higher than in the planted aquarium, but still low) so... time to clean the tank out. I caught all 6 survivors by hand, just cupped my hand around them, and used suction from a jar as it’s being filled with the rim only partially submerged to catch and move them. No net, minimal human contact. Put them in the smaller aquarium with a bit of water so I can clean out the big one. I figure 75% water change, let it come to temp, them put them and plants back in. Cross your fingers I don’t kill them all!

JamieB, Feb 20, 2018
  7. JamieB

sissy sissy

Had to laugh at first glance that log looked like a gator :ROFLMAO:

sissy, Feb 20, 2018
  8. JamieB

JamieB

Just finished cleaning their tank, yep, I’ve only got 6 left. Thought maybe I’d find one hidden. Found it dead. Just poured them back in, with room temp well water. It was more of a 60% change, letting water settle from the bit of dirt on the bottom before I snap a new pic.

JamieB, Feb 20, 2018
  9. JamieB

JamieB

And I need to get the well water tested. All the little fish are dead. Something somehow in the water killed them all.

JamieB, Feb 22, 2018
  10. JamieB

sissy sissy

I know here when a pump is put in a well they shock the well with chlorine tablets and tell you not to drink the water for awhile .Usually 5 to 7 days .You should also leave it running for awhile to clear it and then before using you should test the water

sissy, Feb 22, 2018
  11. JamieB

JamieB

Didn’t shock it, and we did run the water first. I’m worried it may have been something on the new pump, or that the water refilling the well may have something in it from some farmers field.

JamieB, Feb 22, 2018
  12. JamieB

sissy sissy

Could be ground run off since your well is shallow .My well is over 400 feet in the ground and when it rains really hard my filter has to come on more often as we have iron in our water and heavy rains can cause a little pink color to it .People here who have 200 feet deep wells can even drink the water with out lots of filtering .

sissy, Feb 23, 2018
  13. JamieB

JamieB

I’ll see where we can test the water. I’m sad we lost all the fish, I still have a big crop of snails doing just fine though. And plants. I’ll toss the snails in the pond come spring, and once I know the issue, I’ll change the water, and add fish from the next spawn. I think I’ll do more than just 12, so I can cull out any with issues as soon as I can see problems.

JamieB, Feb 23, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question