Growing "Felt"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Count me as a lifetime member of the EA club! I tossed some algae at the dog the other day to get her attention - she wore it like a little cap all morning!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Timothy that is string algae/hair algae

I toss algae all the time! Doesn't everyone? :)

I toss everything from the pond to the other side of the bog berm. There it nicely just rots away.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It seems to be much denser than the image unless the darker area's of the photo is the Potamogeton. It literally feels like wet felt when you hold it, and after it's dried it feels like paper or thin cardboard and very light in weight.
I have that occas., as well. It's really slimy and "snotty" feeling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have that occas., as well. It's really slimy and "snotty" feeling.

Thank you. My daughter has the string algae in her pond and she has mentioned the slime factor when she pulls it out.
This has a much coarser horse-hair consistency to it.

Does it have roots as you stated earlier?

Meyer, I'm really not sure at this point. If I grab it from the top in certain area's and pull, there is definitely resistance and when it comes there's mud/silt on the bottom indicating that it is attached. Interspersed through the hand full that comes out are very fine white roots although I can't be sure that this material hasn't grown around the new roots of a neighbor plant.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you. My daughter has the string algae in her pond and she has mentioned the slime factor when she pulls it out.
This has a much coarser horse-hair consistency to it.

Meyer, I'm really not sure at this point. If I grab it from the top in certain area's and pull, there is definitely resistance and when it comes there's mud/silt on the bottom indicating that it is attached. Interspersed through the hand full that comes out are very fine white roots although I can't be sure that this material hasn't grown around the new roots of a neighbor plant.

I will stick with my original identification A specie of common pond weed likely Potamogeton foliosus.
Here are a few more photos-
upload_2016-7-9_22-10-35.jpeg

or P. hillii
P.%20hillii.jpg

or P. freisii
P.%20friesii.jpg

They all look similar.

On a personal note, I have been searching for the identity of a pond weed similar to many of the Potamogeton species, but has a flower unlike ANY of the pondweed specie. Still looking for an ID after almost 10 years. Here is a photo-

HPIM0169.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with mgmine. Its string algae. It does attach to the edges of my pond. I love pulling it out, it like weeding. And this algae is not slimy at all. I've left it around my pond this year because of all the baby goldfish that hide in it.

Ask a Question