Growing mushrooms

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm not sure how big to let them get before I pick them...?
No, they're not the funny ones, addy.:rolleyes:

I think I'll go shopping on the 'net for other edible variety spores next.

Reaction score
Try searchine for these: Pleurotus ostreatus (oyster shell mushrooms).

oyster shell mushroom.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'll look into those, Gordy.

Once mushrooms start to grow, they really grow.
I better harvest them this weekend, they're coming close to touching the sides of the aquarium.
Also, there is white powder over the horizontal surfaces, I'm thinking that it is spore from the mushrooms.

IMG_5278.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm growing mushrooms again.
I am trying a shitakke variety this time.
My little 10 gallon aquarium has about 1-1/2 inches of perlite in the bottom and I keep enough reverse osmosis water in the bottom so the humidity level keeps above about 75%.
I also have the little computer fan blowing fresh air into the aquarium for 1 minute every 3 hours in order to prevent a buildup of CO2 which would retard the mushroom growth but not dry out the environment too much.

The white block you see is a base of coffee grounds and the white mushroom mycelium growth which is what you can purchase in a bag from our local garden centre.

IMG_7069.JPG

IMG_7070.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see I posted in this thread back in april 2014 however I don't remember it at all (probably a side effect of all the shrooms I consumed when I was younger), anyhow, I liked your solution Mitch, I'll be watching to see how this batch turns out. (y)
If you can get reliable results again I might give something like this a try. I'd be interested in trying to culture my own mycelium base from mushroom spores. They are using coffee grounds you say?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
About 1 week after setup, the fruiting stage has begun.
Even though mushrooms are not photosynthetic, the light level signals the mushrooms to begin fruiting.
There's a bit of algae forming on the perlite layer, so I've added some cardboard to cut down on the light a bit.
The mushroom has doubled in size in the last 8 hours. (1/2 inch to 1 inch)
I'm expecting the entire brick to be covered in mushrooms over the next week or so.

IMG_7073.JPG

IMG_7074.JPG

IMG_7075.JPG

Ask a Question