Hamstermann's pond build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your doing a lot of digging but im not so sure you know what you want yet for a finished project. your digging a straight line like the patio . thats almost impossible to make look natural. There are few straight lines in nature. like @YShahar photo having a round out away from the patio in one are allows for a nice bush planting or boulder. Your stacking dirt over on the side but is that an area your building up. ? or are you going to need to move that dirt again?

Those lines appear to be for multiple homes that cut through your yard. They should be down at least 18 inches but thats not the problem the problem is your not suppose to build on that area. i mentioned this before. your markings look like there are three lines running through your yard. here in the east you are restricted what you can do above and around them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
your doing a lot of digging but im not so sure you know what you want yet for a finished project. your digging a straight line like the patio . thats almost impossible to make look natural. There are few straight lines in nature. like @YShahar photo having a round out away from the patio in one are allows for a nice bush planting or boulder.
Yep, that digging was done with my original plan of a rectangular pond and l-shaped bog in mind. My current digging is the chat and road base path under/up against the fence at the bottom of the picture.
Your stacking dirt over on the side but is that an area your building up. ? or are you going to need to move that dirt again?
That's an attempt to save the good topsoil with mulch and compost in it so that we can reuse it for a berm and building up the areas that don't become water features. Once we get past the good stuff we hit clay that I'll take to the dump.

Those lines appear to be for multiple homes that cut through your yard. They should be down at least 18 inches but thats not the problem the problem is your not suppose to build on that area. i mentioned this before. your markings look like there are three lines running through your yard. here in the east you are restricted what you can do above and around them.
There are 4. Two Comcast lines pretty much directly under our south fence and the two CenturyLink lines going through the middle of the yard.

The utility finder didn't tell me if they're main line or to houses. I do know that the west neighbors have a green CenturyLink post just the other side of our shared fence and the Comcast hub/green post that goes to houses is in the Southwest corner of our yard.

In addition to being installed down a foot or two from the original ground level, I raised the ground level in my backyard during the pandemic in an effort to make the yard level enough to drag the trampoline around on, so the lines *may* be deep enough to not be a problem. I say *may* because the gas line in the front yard was supposed to be 3-5 feet down but I accidentally cut it with my shovel about a foot and a half to two feet down when trying to dig out a stump shortly after buying my house. So I don't really trust the depths that things are supposed to be.

As far as not being allowed to build there, the rule out here seems to be that if the utilities can still dig to their lines you're fine. All of my neighbors landscape anywhere in their yards without concern for the lines. We just need to know where they are and dig by hand within 2 feet either side of the markings if we have to dig there at all.

That's one of the reasons I'm doing a chat path against the fence where Comcast's lines run. They can dig through the chat, road base, and weed block cloth, do what they need to, and then put things back.

I'm working on ways to avoid hard scaping over the CenturyLink lines through the middle of the yard. That's another reason (besides the original plan not looking natural) for the redesign. If I keep it mostly grass, perennials, shrubs, or whatever, they should still be able to access their lines if needed. CenturyLink link has never needed to come in the 10 years I've been here so I don't think they'll need to anytime soon but you're right that better safe than sorry. For the few feet where the stream will cross the markings I'll probably build up the dirt even more before installing the waterfall and stream and if they need to dig under that, they can. The one time Comcast came they dug very carefully and narrowly so it wasn't a huge problem.

I do hear you on not having straight lines or right angles. The new plan will have a lot more curves. I like the style of what YShahar did with her pictures and may try to do something along those lines.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
don't really trust the depths that things are supposed to be.
NOR SHOULD YOU I WORK ALONG ALL THE UTILITIES we are one . and no you don't want t assume because the line isd to be 18" down that it is. homeowner could have reshaped the yard or they encountered a boulder and they just ran the line up and over.
do what they need to, and then put things back. You may be giving them too much credit . it is very rare to have a cable company direct burial crew be skilled in landscaping and excavator WORK
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
YShahar did with her pictures and may try to do something along those lines.M, A STREAM IS EASY TO REWORK IF NED BE A POND OR A WETLANMD FILTER ARE INFINATELY MORE WORK

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's a VERY rough sketch of what I'm thinking at the moment. My skills with photoshop are VERY rusty - it's changed in the 10 or 15 years since I knew it well in College.
PondPlan1a.jpeg

The ground around the waterfall and between the block wall and pond will be gently sloped toward the pond and then planted. The plants around the waterfall will need to be low-growing so we can still see the waterfall from the basement, and then I can use groundcovers and shrubs to fill in on the downhill slope. A shade tree might also be nice in the area marked "Shrubs and perennials" but someday I want to build a pergola with solar panels on top on the patio so that would be counter-productive.

Once the rocks are out of the area where they're piled now in the picture, we'll use that for a fruit/veggie garden.

I would like the bog to be 4-6 inches higher than the pond so that we can have a waterfall from the bog work with the flow of water from the stream to push any debris toward the intake bay.

Thoughts/suggestions? It should be a lot like what YShahar suggested, but smaller.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Looks much better! I'm wondering why you don't move the bog to the top of the pile of rocks on the far left-hand side? That way, you'd have your elevation change, and wouldn't need to have your pump supplying two separate systems.

I would definitely suggest making it larger, since once it's rocked in, that area is going to seem really tiny.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks much better! I'm wondering why you don't move the bog to the top of the pile of rocks on the far left-hand side? That way, you'd have your elevation change, and wouldn't need to have your pump supplying two separate systems.
That area, unfortunately, is full of cable TV lines. I know of at least 3 going through there. one to my house (which we don't use), one that's probably abandoned, and one to the neighbor's house. They're deep enough that I haven't hit them tilling the ground, but that's only 8 or so inches deep. If I build the bog there and comcast needs to get to the lines for some reason or use the green post in the corner of my yard to hook up another line we'd have to tear out the bog. That's why we just use the area for a garden.
I would definitely suggest making it larger, since once it's rocked in, that area is going to seem really tiny.

I'd love to make the pond bigger. The area on the side of the house (the bigger area with the wooden fence, away from the patio) is now a fenced-off chicken run so the only area for my boys to run is the space between the trampoline, our almond tree, and in front of our elevated deck. I want to save that area for them. Once the pond's built I may throw in a swing set where the chicken coop was in the picture I posted for you to use. Money's a concern too - the inheritance I got from my parents and my PTO buy-out at work aren't going to stretch near as far as I'd hoped. I'll just have to tell myself that the rule is to make the biggest pond you can right from the start and, all circumstances considered, I've done that.

Maybe if there's a few years between kids moving out and grandkids being born I can expand the pond into the running area at that point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
4 to 6 inches is not a waterfall you will be happy with. That's exactly what I had before . Was barely noticeable and there's virtually zero chance of seeing it from the basement.

I get why your not looking at the bog on the fence wall that runs along parallel to the patio. If Comcast had to come in you could remove the end of the stream or just cut it off and patch it latter.

A waterfall or even a stream with drops should be a minimum of 16 inches or more to get a nice effect from it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
4 to 6 inches is not a waterfall you will be happy with. That's exactly what I had before . Was barely noticeable and there's virtually zero chance of seeing it from the basement.

I get why your not looking at the bog on the fence wall that runs along parallel to the patio. If Comcast had to come in you could remove the end of the stream or just cut it off and patch it latter.

A waterfall or even a stream with drops should be a minimum of 16 inches or more to get a nice effect from it.
I'm hoping that I can get the waterfall at the head of the stream higher than 4-6 inches. The 4-6 inch drop would just be from the bog to the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOU CAME TO THIS SITE TO GET ADVICE AND I BELIEVE YOULL FIND FROM everyone that youll want more in a short period of time once you have it and or see someone elses. and once the bog is built unless you plan for it adding t the bog latter can be more work then you can imagine . ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Reaction score
Country
United States
This isn't my pond but I love the idea of its shape and wanted to share. Rather than the bog being a blob off to the side, it goes around the perimeter of the pond like a flower bed might. Looks like the waterfall empties into the bog and then the bog waterfalls into the pond at its other end. And the intake bay is just the other side of a wall from the bog so it saves on pipe costs. Pretty cool design.

For a couple of minutes there I thought about changing my design again to something like this, but then I might not be able to toss vines over my wall from my bog area into my earthen garden, so I probably won't do it. still really cool though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This isn't my pond but I love the idea of its shape and wanted to share. Rather than the bog being a blob off to the side, it goes around the perimeter of the pond like a flower bed might. Looks like the waterfall empties into the bog and then the bog waterfalls into the pond at its other end. And the intake bay is just the other side of a wall from the bog so it saves on pipe costs. Pretty cool design.

For a couple of minutes there I thought about changing my design again to something like this, but then I might not be able to toss vines over my wall from my bog area into my earthen garden, so I probably won't do it. still really cool though.

A lot don't like the rocks all around the edges of ponds as it does not look like natural. I did it to my pond as back then I did not know better but plants have covered up most of the rocks after awhile. If I were to do it over learning all I know and see I would have done things different and not the rocks all around the pond. Boulders and driftwood and not so round of a pond. More rambling here and there and a BOG definitely!

Newly built:

IMG_0881.JPG

Now:

IMG_9462.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot don't like the rocks all around the edges of ponds as it does not look like natural. I did it to my pond as back then I did not know better but plants have covered up most of the rocks after awhile. If I were to do it over learning all I know and see I would have done things different and not the rocks all around the pond. Boulders and driftwood and not so round of a pond. More rambling here and there and a BOG definitely!

Newly built:

View attachment 162283

Now:

View attachment 162284
Wow, It's gorgeous now!! I'm not a fan of the ring of pearls look either and mine may look like that initially but I'm going to try to use a lot of plants to soften it like you've done. I agree that the one in the video could use some softening and get rid of the ring of pearls. I just really love those points I mentioned with the link.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Decided to just use some of the clay sludge to make a berm and bail out as much water as I could. Also redirected the downspout output to the far side of the berm.
IMG_20240329_172900.jpg
IMG_20240329_172906.jpg

I'll dig the bog by hand while pondering whether it's better to shell out for a mini excavator and go through the added headache of where to put the dirt without changing the slope of the rest of the yard permanently, or to just save the money and continue digging by hand and hauling it away one $10 truckload at the dump at a time. Does the cheapskate in me win, or the Lazy in me win? Guess we'll find out.

I called around to see what a dirt dumpster would cost. They only let you put 2-4 tons in it or something and that's about the same weight my truck can haul so that's not happening.

Either way, sinking to my ankles in thick clay is rough but trying to pull my foot out without falling is tougher. Not gonna say how many times I failed, but can anyone tell me whether it's cold water or hot that makes mud stains permanent? 😁

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not seeing a shelf for your rocks along the edge of the pond next to your patio is this by design ? retaining wall? A mini can get stuck in that clay very easily. a mini can easily destroy your service lines underground. Also minis have a very small reach and will not be able to reach from one side of the pond to the other with a good sized boulder, if at all they generally have a 8 foot reach.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yikes, that does not look like fun. Guess we all have our challenges when it comes to digging, for me it was rocks and more rocks, and you it is the clay and I know a lot of people here have had to deal with that.
I could not have done my project without my Kubota and its backhoe, it was the only reason I even attempted a pond. That said, there are challenges to using a backhoe or excavator especially for your spot since it is pretty tight. As @GBBUDD said the reach is limited so it is constant maneuvering to get it in the right position to continue the dig. I also did not take into account the difficulty of removing what you dig up. You end up filling up wheelbarrow with the dirt but you only do a few into the wheelbarrow before you have to get off and take it away. You can try piling up the dirt along the side and take it away later but again the reach of the backhoe limits you as you get deeper in the pond it is harder to pile up on the side. When you see the pro videos they generally have bigger excavators so the reach makes things much easier (but you also notice they never really show you the part of hauling away what they dig out). I am by no means an expert on excavating or backhoe use, I am sure there were better ways of using the machine and figuring out the best way to maneuver it around the pond, also of course depends on how big you are going also.
Guess I am saying an excavator would solve some of your problems but it would still be quite a bit of work, you have gone this far hand digging you might as well continue and hope the weather dries up a bit.

Ask a Question