hand feeding

Reaction score
is there a god aproch to geting the koi to hand feed iv been trying to get them to for the past month and just trying o get them use to me but any time they see me they swim into the deep end

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
every time you feed stand near the pond...hunger will out do their fear... as allowed move closer to the edge with feedings. they will associate you with food. patience is the key.!! in a short time you'll be standing at ponds edge and they will come awaiting a meal.when this is accomplished feed them on your knees, then put your hand in the water and slowly release food into the water.(keeping your hand still) when they feed near your hand, the next step is out of your hand!! you'll be suprised at how fast this will take place.

Reaction score
ok thanks i also just found i sould make some kind of feeder ring sence i have a lot of water move ment to keep it in the same area so the get use to haveing food in one area

Reaction score
and always feed in the same spot. Make 'em come to you during food time. I feed in the same corner each time, so they know that this is the sweet spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If your koi are like mine that feeder ring will suck.
They all come up grab turn around splash no more food in the feeder ring.
I use a piece of ridged foam an place it in front of my skimmer.
Around the pond there is coping rock and over the skimmer. I cut it wide enough to rest against the stone and about 2" below nthe water line.
Icut it long enough to cover the weir opening.
I can throw food right in front of thhe skimmer and no food gets in ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here's a drawing I did of it years ago.

Attachments

• skimfoam.png
    skimfoam.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 288
Reaction score
I initially built a feeder ring from some old soaker hose and it worked but I agree that just feeding them regularly from the same location will, with time, cause them to come to that spot whenever you appear there. The advantage of initially using the ring is that it will tend to keep most of the food in that particular spot and you can slowly introduce your hand into the ring without it scaring the fish and eventually have the food cupped in your hand.

Reaction score
My fish were VERY skittish last summer. Sometimes I just go sit by the pond in the same location without feeding. Then I started adding food a little at a time - now I put my hand in the water and they eat out of my hand. But, my pond is only 1800 gallons so I am not sure if this will work with a larger pond. My fish are only about 8" long too.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Same here, I will try to slowly walk towards the pond and they start to get less scared each time.... but I think they will start to associate you/ me with food and stay up in time.

Reaction score
Ive only had my 5 Koi for a month and they will all come to me if I put my hand in the water. I do stand there the whole time they feed and I find them much more friendly at night. Its kinda funny, the same one comes to me first, then the others shortly follow. Its like they trust his judgement.

Ask a Question