addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hummmmmmmmmm well hope my goldies leave them alone, they are just 2 inches big right now. i have heard from a koi keeper that her koi kill all her trapdoors.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Folks, Comets, Koi, even Fantails will eat snails, tadpoles, smaller fish, etc. They are omnivores, meaning the eat plant and animal food products. They are all carp and the all have a lot stronger suction power than most people think. Even small ones can suck the insides out of a snail shell very quickly. If you want to keep snails I recommend keeping the adults in a stream bed, or better yet a plant box. The young snails can then make their way to the pond and if they get eaten it will be only a few at the time and you should be able to maintain a population with out overload and without extinction. But beware, snails are hard to monitor, They do take up oxygen and produce waste just like fish! If you happen to have a water condition change your not aware of and several snails die at once you may not know it. This can very easily start a worse effect on the pond as by the time you notice the snails are dying/overloading your filter bed, your fish can be in serious trouble.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks again, my trapdoors are in the steam, fishless stream, using them to help with the algae that grows in the warmer little ponds.

Reaction score
well i know that they will eat snails but if they are well fed they would be less inclined to do so because it takes a bit more effort to eat snails then to eat pellets or flakes and besides snails can reproduce like monsters so i would want my goldfish to have a liking for snails

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So starve them a bit and they will be escargot eaters..............

Reaction score
hahah yeah thats true, but seeing as how the weather here is waaay to coold to keep snails in the pond, i think i will keep without it

Reaction score
i want to bring the topic back for a moment because i was looking at my lily yesterday and i happened to notice that it has grown one spiral shaped leaf, im not sure if it is new or if it is still here from last year, but it is like solid lightish green so i don't know..can lilies still have green leaves even after winter?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of mine are just now pushing up green leaves, any leaves from last year were mushy and brown.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
give it time, my plants are slowly slowly growing. some sun and warmth and they will take off. I have some leaves that popped up when it warmed a little, now just sitting there. So yeah i think it might be a new leaf.

Does it feel firm or mushy?

Reaction score
I never yet touched it because I was worried it would be too delicate but I will go check and then reply back, if it is firm does that mean it's new?

Reaction score
So I went and checked it out, i honestly had a hard time figuring out which way is up and which way is down but I did eventually find the part that looked like a leaf but unfortunately I found nothing so it could just be mush, the tuber is actually really soft though so could that mean anything or is it just because it took in water

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will go out and fondle mine, see how they feel, the tubers should be firm to touch. Usually if they feel very soft it means they have not survived. If mine take off well, when I send you the tape I could add a piece of one, that will be mid growing season for us. Mine are all hardies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
need to ask as this new pond at the new house has iris growing around the edge are these alright to grow there .I'm assuming they are iris by the shape of there leaves as I also saw lillies and zebra grass

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I will go out and fondle mine, see how they feel, the tubers should be firm to touch. Usually if they feel very soft it means they have not survived. If mine take off well, when I send you the tape I could add a piece of one, that will be mid growing season for us. Mine are all hardies.

unfortanately it is firm but still quite soft so i think i will just throw it out and give up on it, and thank you very much i would really appreciate it addy...it is quite difficult to find good liliies here for reasonable prices, i don't mean to get too picky but do you have any reds?
thank you

sissy said:
need to ask as this new pond at the new house has iris growing around the edge are these alright to grow there .I'm assuming they are iris by the shape of there leaves as I also saw lillies and zebra grass

sissy, since they are already there i would assume that the old owners may have had them there for a couple years or more so they will most likely keep on growing well, but if you mean is it legal?, then i think it would be best for you to check out your state's regulations.

Ask a Question