have a big issue, need help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry if this is the wrong spot. My father has a pond for 12 years, he recently passed. I don't want the fish to die, but we are losing his house. I wanted to know, since the fish seem to be hiding at the bottom and the pond has a lot of alge, how would I get them out? I was told to drain the pond a bit, but I'm not sure how. Can someone fill me in on what to do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm sorry for the loss of your father. Is there a pump with the pond? If so, you can use it to pump out some water. Once the water level is lowered, it'll be easier to catch the fish. Make sure you have a container to place the fish in, once caught. If the pond water is relatively clean, use some of it in the container and be sure to add de chlorinator to any tap water you add. Sometime fish will try to jump from a container, so net it.

You could give the fish away to friends, or post on Craigslist. Good luck.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
st12345
Sorry that you lost your father and are now losing his home too. If you don't have a pump you will have to drain it bucket by bucket or buy a cheap pump maybe at Harbor Freight, Lowes or H-depot. Like Tula said when the water is really low you can catch them easy and put them in some of the same water from pond. New clean water would be a shock as they are used to the pond water. What kind of fish and how many? Can you take some pictures and post them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry about the loss of your father. I can't catch my fish unless lucky, or drain down the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have found that if you go out at night, and use a bright spotlight (or good flashlight), you can somewhat blind them (they don't know you are coming with the net) and may have some luck catching them. However, since you need to net them ALL, the best solution is to drain the pond down and net them. Be sure to put the cleanest pond water (before it gets stirred up and murky) into the container you will put the fish in. Tula has perfect suggestions above.
Sorry for the loss of your father. :( Welcome to our site! Take some pics of the fish after you net them. We would love to see them. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry for your loss but how big is the pond .You can use a dirty water pump that you can buy in most hardware stores and also harbor freight .Draining some of the water will help and if you can get some of the algae out by hand that will help .Are you moving them or giving them away or are you trying to get them out so you can pull the liner out and move the whole pond

Ask a Question