Hearty Bog Plants in NW Ohio (zone 6)

Reaction score
Country
United States
5C1E24C5-CF65-41F2-8171-2C25E8AC5821.jpeg

Can anyone identify this plant? Wondering if it would survive in a bog.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like Blue Fescue grass and it likes dry soil. Or could be a Tussock grass which I don't think will like it in a pond either but heck you could try one and see what happens and then let us know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
wow what a pond
Thank you! These ponds are very popular in rural NW Ohio. Apparently the ground water is high in sulfur. Digging a large pond collects winter runoff and becomes the water source for the home.

We aren’t “allowed” to use point wells for home use. However the water from a typical point here is crystal clear and only about 20 foot deep. My next project will be to drive a pair of points and keep a top off on this pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never heard of a point well.

Our well is really deep, no clue how deep but our neighbors say 100's of feet.

Per the bog, I have just stuck things in some grow some don't. When I first planted it, I had nicely spaced plants all sorts of different plants, now it is a jungle with whatever grows grows, easy to care for. I just yank plants now and then to have some control.

I have no desire for a nicely planted pretty bog. But all the plants do bloom and look quite pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Wish I had a backhoe for my tractor. I found that I can lift more with the bucket than I can with the 3 point hitch. I drilled a hole in the front center of the bucket and use a shackel and sling to lift. If it gets to heavy lifting I add the mower deck to counter weight and keep the wheels down. I roll the bucket down close in and lift with the main arms, when I am maxed out for power I can then roll the bucket up to get more lift power. Have to be VERY careful not to roll the tractor and stay off the side hills. Amazing what the little 20hp tractor will lift.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a back hoe, small bucket, and a front bucket. I have tipped it a few times, scares the poo out of me. So far have never flipped it.
I never do work like that on the side hills we have. Only go straight up or straight down...............Moved the tractor a lot when I was digging the stream on the hill.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Never heard of a point well.

Our well is really deep, no clue how deep but our neighbors say 100's of feet.

Per the bog, I have just stuck things in some grow some don't. When I first planted it, I had nicely spaced plants all sorts of different plants, now it is a jungle with whatever grows grows, easy to care for. I just yank plants now and then to have some control.

I have no desire for a nicely planted pretty bog. But all the plants do bloom and look quite pretty.
I like your approach! I have ferns and hostas out of my ears, so I’ll drop them in there and see how it goes. There is a pond store here and I’ll see what they have left this late in the season. It’ll be economy plants for the remainder of this season as I’m over budget already on the construction! Rofl.

Ask a Question