Hearty Bog Plants in NW Ohio (zone 6)

Reaction score
Country
United States
73164634-56F7-403B-8268-B76A41DD184A.jpeg

Sorry for the slow progress. Hurt my arm which is slowing me up a bit. You can see the lion’s share of the plumbing is done. 2” Radials of shortening lengths coming off of a 4” header all tied together to equalize flow, I hope.

Each radial will have a clean out. The right side of the picture shows a 4” clean out as well. The header will be in that trench that is filled with rain water at the moment so I had to lift it a little so I could glue the joints. With a little luck I’ll have the plumbing finished tomorrow night after work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I AM GETTING TO THE GAME A LITTLE LATE HERE . Very interesting build sweet. not sure if i saw any mention or not to the bog area but from what i have been finding out and wish i had waited before i jumped into the build would be to have differant depths in the bog some plants only like the roots wet while others like to be in a couple inches of water while others like to be in six" to a foot of water. And to further add to it some will not tolerate any water movement and others demand it. Again sorry im jumping iin last minute just a couple things i wish i had paid more attention to.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Advice is always welcome. Depth wise I plan to just vary the planting depth according to the plant. I probably won’t Know for sure which plants like which conditions until I try a little bit. The bog does have varied depth because of the slant to the land that I dug the bog out of. To have a flat bottom the depth goes from a minimum of 12 inches to almost 24 inches. If you look the back of the bog and the right side closest to the camera have virtually dead flow in those areas for some plants that may not like as much water flow. I’m gonna treat this thing like thunderdome! Survival of the fittest, I suppose!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this is going to be my spill way. I need to do the trench for the plumbing feed lines then hopefully my muscle will be here for the liner wrestling!View attachment 123344
My two cents , the waterfall as it enters the pond i have found that sending the water at an angle gives the pond a spinning circulation.
Down the road add a negative edge to your pond for rain water collection storage y leaf removal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Advice is always welcome. Depth wise I plan to just vary the planting depth according to the plant. I probably won’t Know for sure which plants like which conditions until I try a little bit. The bog does have varied depth because of the slant to the land that I dug the bog out of. To have a flat bottom the depth goes from a minimum of 12 inches to almost 24 inches. If you look the back of the bog and the right side closest to the camera have virtually dead flow in those areas for some plants that may not like as much water flow. I’m gonna treat this thing like thunderdome! Survival of the fittest, I suppose!
yeah that area would be great for pitcher plants or golden club

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this is going to be my spill way. I need to do the trench for the plumbing feed lines then hopefully my muscle will be here for the liner wrestling!View attachment 123344
My two cents , the waterfall as it enters the pond i have found that sending the water at an angle gives the pond a spinning circulation.
yeah i think the long and short of a bog is give mother nature the tools and she will fill in the rest herself

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Careful with how much area will not have flow . i think i'd lean more toward a 1" line at the very end to keepp some undergravel with fresh supply of water with now pressure or flow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m gonna treat this thing like thunderdome! Survival of the fittest, I suppose!
I started out with a nicely spaced planted bog...............now it is the survival of the fittest and what needs the least care. Mine is for pond care, not to be a pretty planted bog. But it is pretty most of the plants bloom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I also find that I can vary planting depth just by moving gravel around. I planted some cannas this year so I just made three mounds of gravel and planted them in the mounds. Watercress is growing in the areas where the water covers the gravel by a few inches. Bogs are fun to plant - very forgiving and easy to pull plants and move things around.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have shallow areas, deeper water areas, gravel above the water areas, the same plants grow in all the areas. None of mine are that fussy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
plan on the bog backing up due to plant growth . that's been one of my issues i didn't leave the side wall high enough and even with a 1 1/2" curb i have seen water wicking up the rubber . With no help from soils or plants. An exciting day to run water from the bog to the pond. Not sure if you plan to install fabric / underlayment over the rubber before you add stone or not but there's no question knowing what i know now compared to what i was told back when i would cover every square inch of rubber if any rock was heading for the liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
plan on the bog backing up due to plant growth . that's been one of my issues i didn't leave the side wall high enough and even with a 1 1/2" curb i have seen water wicking up the rubber . With no help from soils or plants. An exciting day to run water from the bog to the pond. Not sure if you plan to install fabric / underlayment over the rubber before you add stone or not but there's no question knowing what i know now compared to what i was told back when i would cover every square inch of rubber if any rock was heading for the liner
I wasn’t going to cover the liner with fabric. But now would be a good time to do it. I’ll head out tomorrow and get the fabric. Thanks for the tip. The sides and back are easily 6” taller than the spillway. Hopefully that will keep things behaving!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wasn’t going to cover the liner with fabric. But now would be a good time to do it. I’ll head out tomorrow and get the fabric. Thanks for the tip. The sides and back are easily 6” taller than the spillway. Hopefully that will keep things behaving!
i thought i waas leaving a good 6" as well but as the stone went in the falls were built and the water backed up due to roots slowing the water flow etc 6" became 1 1/2". never cut excess rubber but flod it over and tuck it in never know when you;ll need it

Reaction score
Country
United States
i thought i waas leaving a good 6" as well but as the stone went in the falls were built and the water backed up due to roots slowing the water flow etc 6" became 1 1/2". never cut excess rubber but flod it over and tuck it in never know when you;ll need it
Your warnings did not fall on deaf ears. I spent the better part of last week dis-assembling the plumbing, and removing the liner and digging the whole thing another 4-5 inches deeper. Thereby allowing me to drop the spillway a little more and Giving me a little more room for error. Thanks for the advice.

Ask a Question