Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks again jb for telling me make my own filter like on you tube
some great ideas
so place the pump in the pond and some type of pre filter attached to it
and pump it into a filterbox with some filter media batting mesh lava rocks bio balls scouring nets etcetc"i get the idea now i think"
then the water overflows out through the outlet at the the top and into the pond is this correct

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
That’s a way to do it. You will find as time goes on there are many ways to skin a pond. I concur with the non UV use. You’ll have pea soup for a bit, your fish will love it, and when things balance out you’ll have gin clear beautiful natural pond water without any chemicals. FYI the non UV thinking for me is this. Yes it kills free algae. But that’s not all it kills. A lot of the groovy little critters that make a pond healthy are adversely effected by UV. Alters the new food chain you’ve created. The other reason is a mass algae die off “could” lead to ammonia spikes. IMHO

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i was thinking would something like this work for an outdoor pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What ever works for you. I like the idea of a mini bog, where you’d have a big planter/ open top container where the water would spill out into the pond, it’s give space to plants that will use the excess of nutrients, and the spill will add oxygen to the water. It’s prettier than a bucket filter. But more work to clean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
sparky when you say "winter quarters" are you saying you move them indoors for the winter
jamie hope you dont mind me calling you that, is there any way you could post a link on what your explaining to me please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
so on that answer and going on your experience the filter shown is more suitable for indoors im assuming
what type filter do you use outdoors then

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ll see if I can find a link. Yes, I’m good with being called Jamie.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here is a link about suitable containers. Each of these could be made over into a bog filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks for your videos jamie ,the links are food for thought, before i dive in head first in to this dark abyss of filtration
im trying to weight up as many possibilities as i can ,thanks again for your patience and time
is it possible to use pond liner as a bed for a bog slightly higher than the pond surface? as in a raised bog? the only problem is the concrete
ground behind the little pond ive got ,so im thinking underlay " old carpet"with pond liner on top raised on the edges sloping towards the pond, with afew outlets to create a small waterfall and planted
should it contain earth i wonder

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can use liner for the bog. I used one liner for the bog and pond. My bog is around a foot higher than the pond, the water waterfalls back into the pond.

Capturea.JPG

should it contain earth i wonder
you mean the bog? Mine is full of pea gravel and plants. It takes very good care of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
so how big should this bog need to be for my little pond
start-500-pond.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is around 1/3 the size of the pond. Surface area about 1/2 the size of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thank you for such a quick response addy ,i know im asking a lot of questions and most are probably repetitive here
but i really do like the pond forum here

Reaction score
Country
United States
no the dirt level is above the pond and i tried packing as much into the air space between the liner and ground
i drained it again today and reset it, and refilled, i have to live with it i suppose ??
Use a sand underneath a preformed pond. You need about 3 to 4 inches of sand underneath the pond. First level the sand. Then gently place the pond on the sand. Level the pond and pour sand all around the perimeter. Check the level again. Gently add water and check the level as water is added. If you find settling empty the pond, fix the low point and reposition the pond. A little time spent getting it properly seated and level will pay big dividends later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
the sides are almost spot on level but the corners are about 3"higher
maybe its the wavy shape to it outer edge
where it buckled is now a crease so ill just have to disguise with a plant maybe

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i suppose i can but ive done it so many times and it always starts to collapse in wards when the water is added
last time it wouldnt even take back its original shape i even put hot water over the now creased area to try and mend it

Ask a Question