hello all pond people

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
put in the waterfall today only one problem, so far im only getting a trickle instead of the torrent that the wife wants,
the filter is only 3ft off the pond surface of the pond and the pump is rated for 2 metres high ,
the pump is rated 3 times the size of the pond but the filter seems to be slowing every thing down
does any one know whats going on

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
you need about 1,500gph for every foot of width of the falls. I have two pumps in my skimmer, a 3,000 and a 4,200gph, feeding an upper pond. From the upper pond, there are two falls, one about 2 1/2 foot wide that goes to the stream and the other 4 foot wide. If one of the pumps goes out you can see the difference in flow. Your pond looks beautiful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i just rearranged the fall it seems a little better now.and the wife jumped ahead of her self and persuaded me to fill the surrond of it with earth, im still testing it for leaks as the pond has dropped dramitically ill have to refill it tomorrow and fingers crossed it will hold its volume,
if it doesent hold water in im in trouble ,and it will all have to come back up,so hopefully its only water taken by the filter box and the fall
tomorrow will tell a lot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
here it is during twilight hours

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
doobry, this is amazing work to have done since only March 29! You are a fast worker. Looks great and I love the rocks. Are there fish in it yet? If not, what do you plan?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks for the kind comments im exhausted ,sore,and happy now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
so i changed the murky water after constuction of the waterfall ,and the filter is connected ,theres 8 gold fish in it (i know 6 to many )
and 1 leafless waterlilly stump( which is now floating again as the earth and pebbles discoloured it i think) and just starting cycling it, so will the water turn green now ,as i want it to stay clear,and how do i avoid it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
so i changed the murky water after constuction of the waterfall ,and the filter is connected ,theres 8 gold fish in it (i know 6 to many )
and 1 leafless waterlilly stump( which is now floating again as the earth and pebbles discoloured it i think) and just starting cycling it, so will the water turn green now ,as i want it to stay clear,and how do i avoid it
Your pond turned out just beautiful. As far as the green water is concerned, I don't believe there is any way to avoid it. Mother nature sees that pretty pond and adds plants on her own. Unfortunately us humans don't appreciate her help with those tiny little specks of greenery floating in the water. With time the water will clear again. You can plant your lily in plain clay kitty litter covered with pebbles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks for the comments ,i may of given the notion that my water is green which it isnt ,i only drained and filled it easter monday
and its crystal clear at the moment ,with the filters uv light unplugged will the water turn green or will it stay clear by filtering it alone,
i read here that uv lights are great at clearing green water( but not recommended as it may kill any good bacteria also)
so for a start up pond, the question is to plug or not to plug the uv light

Ask a Question