hello all pond people

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks for your videos jamie ,the links are food for thought, before i dive in head first in to this dark abyss of filtration
im trying to weight up as many possibilities as i can ,thanks again for your patience and time
is it possible to use pond liner as a bed for a bog slightly higher than the pond surface? as in a raised bog? the only problem is the concrete
ground behind the little pond ive got ,so im thinking underlay " old carpet"with pond liner on top raised on the edges sloping towards the pond, with afew outlets to create a small waterfall and planted
should it contain earth i wonder

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can use liner for the bog. I used one liner for the bog and pond. My bog is around a foot higher than the pond, the water waterfalls back into the pond.

Capturea.JPG

should it contain earth i wonder
you mean the bog? Mine is full of pea gravel and plants. It takes very good care of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
so how big should this bog need to be for my little pond
start-500-pond.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is around 1/3 the size of the pond. Surface area about 1/2 the size of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thank you for such a quick response addy ,i know im asking a lot of questions and most are probably repetitive here
but i really do like the pond forum here

Reaction score
Country
United States
no the dirt level is above the pond and i tried packing as much into the air space between the liner and ground
i drained it again today and reset it, and refilled, i have to live with it i suppose ??
Use a sand underneath a preformed pond. You need about 3 to 4 inches of sand underneath the pond. First level the sand. Then gently place the pond on the sand. Level the pond and pour sand all around the perimeter. Check the level again. Gently add water and check the level as water is added. If you find settling empty the pond, fix the low point and reposition the pond. A little time spent getting it properly seated and level will pay big dividends later.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
the sides are almost spot on level but the corners are about 3"higher
maybe its the wavy shape to it outer edge
where it buckled is now a crease so ill just have to disguise with a plant maybe

Attachments

• start-500-pond.jpg
    start-500-pond.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i suppose i can but ive done it so many times and it always starts to collapse in wards when the water is added
last time it wouldnt even take back its original shape i even put hot water over the now creased area to try and mend it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks alot stephan,
so if i level the base with sand it shouldnt distort anymore thanks ill try draining it again and re setting it
the only thing is it only happens when its full of waterand gradually gets worse over time

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
It must be settling for it to collapse/distort. First measure the ponds perimeter and mark it on the ground. Excavate a hole slightly wider and deeper than the pond. Prepare a solid, level base making sure the depth will allow the sides of the pond to be a couple inches above grade to prevent runoff rainwater from flowing into the pond. Install the pond and check for level. Then add a few inches of sand around the edges and add a little water to keep the pond secure while you backfill the edges. Check for level. Continue to add sand along the edges then add some more water. Frequently check for level when doing this. Make it a slow process and try to complete backfill of the edges and filling the pond at the same time.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you work the sand have a level in hand. Make sure the sand is level and packed hard. If you make the sand moist it will pack harder.

Ask a Question