hello all pond people

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
ahh. a job well done ,i drained the pond today with a bucket,and poured boiling water on the crease and buckleand while it was hot manipulated it back in to shape,which worked
dug it all out 6or 7 ft by 4 ft and 2and a half deep
got the sand and levelled it. set the pond level and back filled it with sand and some earth
and filled it again with water
guess what it didnt move a cm YIPEE no buckle and level all around
thanks for the advice stephen and forumites
ps i started about 1pm and finished at 9.30 pm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
just checked it now again and everything seems to be ok , phew, on wards and upwards

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
just back from scouring the country side looking for rocks i found about 6-7 red( i think sandstone ) that will do nicely
for a start for an overlaping fringe to the pond, and i slab of granite i think (about 18by 12)to use as a waterfall when the time comes,
also ive acquired 2 bags of different colored cobbles and washed off the builders hardcore that i dug up in the yard

out of curiosity does anybody else do this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep. Every road trip, I eyeball the country side for nice rocks. All the best ones are when I’m in a hurry and can’t stop, or have no space!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
if i seen a beauty of a specimen , no matter how busy i am, i would take note where it was, or stop in my tracks there and then
and get it , just like today , even though i had to carry each one back to my car ,and it was embarrassing when the other cars passed me while i was carring a rock out in the middle of nowhere, there now situated in their new home

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
well ill have to let the rock trimming settle for now so im going to do a raised bog
in the meantime ,so
1 its (the pond) 6ft by 3ft by 2 ft approx whats its surface area if any one knows , it holds110 gallons of water or 500 ltrs
2 can the bog area be to big or too small as im reading half to one third of surface area of pond is sufficient
3 i was recommended to use 18-24 inchs of media in the filter not sure if it applies to the bog though
4 do i need a prefilter and a box type bio filter to feed the bog with pumped pond water to catch leaves and other foreign particles before draining in the bog? and help the good bacteria to grow
5 how high should the waterfall be from the surface of the pond to create a soft splashing noise as opposed to a torrent of water coming out
6 what size pump is suitable for all this the pond pre/bio filter and a raised bog (i havent the dimensions yet)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
went from this

to this in 3days with minimal cost

ps the thing floating in the water is a waterlilly stump with roots the man in the shop gave me for free
he told me just attach it to a line with a stone attached at the bottom and it would grow is this how its done ????

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to take the lily and tie it so the roots are down on the bottom of the pond, not floating.
I always plant mine in a oil drain pan, filled with plain clay kitty litter. Add some fertilizer, since your pond is new the nutrients will be low.

Your build looks nice!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks for the vote of confidence addy and
ref the stump with stringy roots (aka waterlilly)lol
so i just planted it in a pot as per instruction
the waterlilly tuber
i used garden earth with some peebles and stones on top as i had no gravel hope i see a few leaves soon

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The bog should get water that solids have been filtered out of. The best method I’ve seen that seems to work the best, is for the water outlet to be buried under the pea gravel - that’s the 18 inches, and to flow up and out. As for how much higher it should be, that’s something you can play with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
here it is by day

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
argh i see plastic edge i must remedie that tommorow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks addy for your kind words
any how, that said, today i made a start on the fountain i built a small retaining wall this morning and back filled it with rubble and earth
connected the pump to the filter and laid the liner roughly
now im up and running but far from finished

Ask a Question