Hello to All and HELP!

Reaction score
AlaPAMa said:
I don't mind changing a bulb in a UV, or vacuuming the pond, or building up the sides and buying and maintaining a filter and transplanting water lilies .....but I am incapable and overwhelmed by the amount of work required from your previous post. :)
I will continue to do all that I can to maintain a health pond, but it looks as if I will have to hire anything further :unsure:
Thanks!
The problem with some words is some mean them differently than others. To ME, an easy low maintenance pond mean 1-2 hours of work per week (not counting feeding time, I can do that for hours LOL) ... to my husband, low maintenance means 6-8 hours per week (messing with something everyday LOL) ... some folks dont want to spend more than an hour per month LOL.

Reaction score
Wow....Waterbug....how ya doin...fancy seeing you here sir...I saw crsublette...I feel right at home....it looks like some people on here need just as much as on our other forum my friend....input...more input...MORE INPUT...learn, learn, learn...that is the name of the game...learn and have fun....i concur with all of your advice sir....this nice person needs more friends like us...

Reaction score
AlaPAMa said:
I don't mind changing a bulb in a UV, or vacuuming the pond, or building up the sides and buying and maintaining a filter and transplanting water lilies .....but I am incapable and overwhelmed by the amount of work required from your previous post. :)
I will continue to do all that I can to maintain a health pond, but it looks as if I will have to hire anything further :unsure:
Thanks!
These were things I would do. You can do with the info as you like. Hopefully it would give you ideas to consider and maybe research. Or you could email it to your Pond Guy and get his opinion. But yeah, there is a bit of effort and a bit of learning. Sorry.

If the question is whether there is a filter you can buy, or a fish safe chemical you can add, that will make your pond clear and keep it clear for a long time with little or no additional effort the answer is no.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You will all be happy to know that I found a new Pond Guy. This one seems considerably more knowledgeable. With his assistance, I will continue to struggle on until next spring when we can $$$ a rebuild. This pond guy tells me that the liner is not "pond grade" in addition to being too short around the sides. I cleaned out as much of the leaves and detritus as possible. Built up the sides where ever I could and removed as many stray water lily rhizomes as possible and divided the one giant water lily. The pond guy gave me a few water hyacinths to get me through the worst of it.

I will continue to visit here and learn, learn, learn...... :D

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You sure have a big back yard and the landscaping is pretty too. I use ez Bio 20 filters that are submersible. They are made by Matala and you can find them online for about $40. I don't know how to make a "link" cause I just have a tablet and just got into these "computers" now for only a year and have lots to learn. You can goggle the name and many sites come up. I have been using these filters for years and really like them and you can connect two together for a bigger more powerful filter.

Attachments

• 1367081076755.jpg
    1367081076755.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 262
Reaction score
Full sun will produce MUCH algae and your plants will explode. a UV filter along with a bio filter will help keep the algae down but you also need to reduce the algae food load such as fish/frog excrement (bio-filter), excess fish food (weather it's feed to them or not). I'm in SO CAL so I have sun 365 days a year. I use a bio/UV filter with waterfall and a UV/Mechanical filter with a waterfall and short aerating creek. I've NEVER had luck with barley straw and the only water additives I use is chlor-gon (for when I add tap water). I vacuum the pond 2-3 times from April (just before koi spawning) through October which REALLY helps. If I suck up a small koi, sorry. I don't attempt to spawn them so I "might" get 2 or three that survive nature and their parents hunger. Is your pond small enough to put up a patio umbrella to block sun for a few hours a day? Initially, my pond was to cut down time mowing the lawn......... :goldfish: yeah sure...Back yard Panarama shot 08-06-2012 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
callingcolleen1 said:
You sure have a big back yard and the landscaping is pretty too. I use ez Bio 20 filters that are submersible. They are made by Matala and you can find them online for about $40. I don't know how to make a "link" cause I just have a tablet and just got into these "computers" now for only a year and have lots to learn. You can goggle the name and many sites come up. I have been using these filters for years and really like them and you can connect two together for a bigger more powerful filter.
Thanks callincoleen1! That's actually my FRONT yard..... for some reason, the previous owners put the pond in the front. I will see what I can find on these filters.
Thanks again!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome from another VA person.My pond is in the front so I can enjoy it from the front porch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
capewind said:
From what I gather so far, you have a few things to address. Top of the list is mucking out any debris in the pond, and getting a real filter ... for filter advise, we need to know more about the population count, as well as your goals ... Do you have a test kit for testing the water?
Got my test kit today.
Test results: pH +9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0

MucVac should be delivered today although I have hand picked a good bit of the visible debris.
Ordered the ez Core Bio pump recommended by callingcolleen1. Upon it's arrival will attach to Pacific Hydrostar pump recommended by you ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AlaPAMa said:
Do you know why I am unable to enlarge your attached photos?
The ones in the signature area you can't enlarge. If you look hers are below the blue line, i.e. the signature area.

Ask a Question