Help finding my way with ponds

Reaction score
You can get by with a pump (but NOT a pool pump) and a liner and some type of a filter. But to make life simpler a skimmer to hold the pump and a UV light to keep the water from turning green would be what I would get. If you are building this for a customer then they will expect a professional looking product. That means no homemade filter. If you don't have fish then the skimmer can serve as the filter with the addition of something like this item below. It's not the best idea in the world but would keep the pond fairly clean. You could get away with a homemade waterfalls and it will only cost you a few dollars for the materials. First thing to do is decide what size pond you want to make. Once you have decided then decide on the best products for the best price. If all your ponds are basically the same then your customers can see what they look like before you build one. You will need to have something that looks nice so that means good landscaping for your model.
https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Flo-Rigid-Pond-Filter-Media/dp/B01EV6MTYI/ref=zg_bs_13764361_14

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
We get u now more sorry for missunderstanding , your plan may work we never know ,stay possitive many sucessful businesses started like this. ye i get it where your comming from , its good idea to catch ur target market there u mean plants nursery?
its not rocket science most of us did it sucessfully without much difficulty just need to stick to basics.

So 1st goal is to built imppressive pond , as some one mentioned u need to browse research on ponds photos or videos , it will b in ur mind thn u can start ur own ideas or choose any possible one in it.

There are ppl here who has very beautiful ponds u can ask in new thread they can tell u better , i can try sketching

few things decide how ur pond will look

one is availibility of certain type of rocks for border to hide liner, uil notice there are different types, u need to chose which r available and will look best

i noticed if u hv beautifull rocks and plants even small simple pond will look good.

other is plants ithink ur friend at nursery will help in it , then how u arrange it and create natural landscape combination of rocks, plants and shape of pond, edges of pond , building watterfall

what i learnt , u need to hv different sizes of rocks some very large and not symetrical in line to b natural , u may have small soil heap and small pre pond and have few larger rocks around waterfall then place a wide long slate or slab for falling water in the main pond , pond shape should b iregular , looks more natural , not perfect round or square ,

pond need to b deep in centre around 2 to 3 feet then one step shalower around 2 feet then another step ( can b like circular rings shelves) then last will b few inches deep around edges , this is good to keep water clear too ,deep part will hv debris and will remain warm in winter , u can plant or hv gravel stones at shalowst part , then uil hv edges uil need alot of stones to hide edges , the liner will come at edge thn uil need to dig 1 inch after half feet on soil and place liner's border in tht little canal thn add soil over it thn add stones all over or gravel or grass ,uil need gradual slop steps on edge from water surface tilo edge so h can place layers of stone to hide all linner , edges r very dificult then it seems lol but uil learn as u try. key is hide all liner thn will look neat. see pics on google to learn
http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/cf...ponents-files/904/7140._5F00_MG_5F00_0953.jpg
http://www.sgaonline.org.au/images/graphics/frogbog.gif
https://jeremybiggs.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/pondedgedesign.gif
http://d31eqxppr3nlos.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/31-backyard-pond-feb20.jpg
https://a6adc47bb216dfe8a383-49bf67....rackcdn.com/images/features/digging_pond.jpg

ask manufacturer if epdm rubber liner is fish friendly non toxic , uil need underlay , can b old rug carpet or cardboards , news papers thick , liner should not touch soil , if uhv roots rocks uil need cardboard or layers of paper

u can create waterfall ur self , udont need readymade , weil discusd when u reach tht stage , just hv lot of rocks ready and slate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Im not gona sugar coat this. Your plan is moronic at best. You don't even have a pond, yet you want to go into the business? You don't know the work that goes into one the maintance the water keeping, the equipment yet your dream is to run a pond business.
LOL

AND to top it off you will do all this without any financial loss
LOL
Go for it I guess

Reaction score
Hugh Heffner tells a story about starting Playboy. He said he had $2000 dollars and no one told him he couldn't do it so he did it. As Usman said this isn't rocket science. Some would like to think it is, but it's a hole in the ground filled with water. It takes about as much skill as feeding a dog. What the owner does with it after the hole is dug is up to him/her. When you have a swimming pool installed it's up to you to keep it clean. When you buy an aquarium it's up to you to keep the fish healthy. When you buy a preformed pond at Home Depot it's up to you to set it up. I don't see any between this and digging a hole and filling it with water. The builder has no control over what nature does as far as the water chemistry or algae or anything else. The worst that can happen is that the sample pond will get filled in. Doctors bury their mistakes, pond builders plant lilies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It was harsh but his plan is way off base. He's got little experience with poonds. And he want to sale his inexperience to wealthy patrons? I can't even imagine the worm of 40k gallon pond. Mines 1200 and its continuous upkeep

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mgmine, thanks.

What supplies are we talking about getting? Can we make a list? I thought all i needed to have was pond waterfall and skimmer tubes and pond filter. What else?

I could use a pool pump, right?
I thought you said you were reading and learning.....
You have hardly scratched the surface.
Exactly.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Querorz, you said that there are no ponds in Turkey and people have no interest in them, so how do you know that when you have managed to build your show pond that your fellow country folk will want you to build one for them? Have you done a survey or similar to find the demand for such ponds in Turkey? Surely a new business is set up on the basis of the need to fill a particular market or are you banking on the fact that as no one else has yet branched out into this type of venture in your country then there will be a demand? Good, reliable equipment does not come cheap, you get what you pay for and if there is no substantial pond industry in Turkey, where are all the supplies, water treatments, fish treatments, plants, fish, etc being sourced from?
Sorry to be negative but I can see problems along the way for you and your fledgling business without expert help and guidance not only in setting it up, but in gaining the knowledge we are still trying to learn after ponding for decades ourselves. I wish you well, but at the same time please do think long and hard about your new venture, get some advice. Maybe best to go ahead and build your pond, run it for a couple of years, learn from the problems you encounter along the way, read everything you can both about ponds and setting up a new business, only then have a rethink and see if this is really what you want to do. I wish you luck :¬)

Ask a Question