Help ideals Quick !

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I just got my new pond up and running today. Well so I thought. 1000 gal pond & 100 gal filter tank. Well here goes.I got it set up and running rocks installed on waterfall. Left it turned on and decided to take a rest from the 90+ heat. When I checked it I discovered the tank was cracked but can't repair tonight or buy one its to late. Have to leave town early in the morning and won't be back until thursday. Should I run the pump hose into the pond and let it circulate. I don't want to lose to the green monster. Or would it be better to run the return through the water fall.

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thats what I thought. I was just wandering if bipassing the filter and running down the stream would help with algae.

Reaction score
If you are just getting things started but are going out of town I would not run it down the waterfall unless you are sure none of the hoses will come lose or the water won't run outside of the falls and empty the pond. No fish yet I assume?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Was this tank garentee'd do you know?
Even if it isnt you can still take it back and ask for a new one , I'd say it was down to a member of staff at the fish outet wgo didn;t check things out brfore you were sold this tank which as the purchaser gives you the right to ask for a new one .
I hope you kept the reciept or paid for it by card where you have comeback as proof you bought it from them.

rgrds

Dave

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I had a crack in my tank (bio filter) and used the epoxy leak fix. I got it at Lowes and you cut off a piece and knead it together, then stick it over the crack. It's hard as a rock now and absolutely no leaks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just used that rubber spray on stuff on a 300 gallon stock tank .So far so good but the crack was not wide it was just long .No gap to fill and stock tanks are solid so no give in them .No matter what a new pond will go through the green stage .

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Dave 54 said:
Was this tank garentee'd do you know?
Even if it isnt you can still take it back and ask for a new one , I'd say it was down to a member of staff at the fish outet wgo didn;t check things out brfore you were sold this tank which as the purchaser gives you the right to ask for a new one .
I hope you kept the reciept or paid for it by card where you have comeback as proof you bought it from them.

rgrds

Dave
Its a tank from a old pond no garente

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
cr8tivguy said:
I had a crack in my tank (bio filter) and used the epoxy leak fix. I got it at Lowes and you cut off a piece and knead it together, then stick it over the crack. It's hard as a rock now and absolutely no leaks!
i dune that a few years back may try it again.

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
sissy said:
I just used that rubber spray on stuff on a 300 gallon stock tank .So far so good but the crack was not wide it was just long .No gap to fill and stock tanks are solid so no give in them .No matter what a new pond will go through the green stage .
I sprayed it with rubber but refilled to soon and it leaked. So I dried it out and give it a couple more coats and will let it cure until wed. night

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
well I prepped it again use plastic weld and but a 4 coats of spray on rubber. I allowed proper drying time between coats. Filled back up today and was still leaking. I gave up and bought another tank. Went ahead and and setup the new tank. now I have water flowing down my waterfall yes. Now all I need is fish and plants. Oh and to finish landscape but that will be a slower process or never ending project.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The plastic could have been weak and bulging .Plastic these days is made from recycled products so it tends to be weaker .

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
glad you got it replaced. Take your time introducing fish (or start with smaller ones and only a few). I have had to "will" myself not to overstock my pond. I have 11 small fish in my 1500 gallon pond and my levels are holding strong. Just a slight trace of Nitrate (or is it Nitrite). Otherwise, PH, Ammonia and Phosphates are all well within normal limits.

Plants are a huge plus too. Right now, Earl Mays (here in Omaha) has Hyacinth and Water Lettuce CHEAP! And they are really healthy plant stock. I outfitted my bog with about 6 plants and installed 6 Hyacinth and 10 Water Lettuce plants for less than $50. All are well established so it looks like my bog has been in place for a year or two!

Ask a Question