Help! Many dead birds in my pond!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@stargazer What kind of birds are they? We have a lot of fledgling birds this time of year — mostly, they’re learning how to be birds, and there is a lot of exploring going on. I think they are more secure around water if there is something close to the surface. It helps their depth perception.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Resurrecting this thread again. Yesterday I found a dead bird in my new, small (~400 gallons) pond... today I witnessed another bird looking at my waterfall from the ground. It then proceeded to fly almost directly into it and the force of the water sent him right into the water below. I immediately ran outside and grabbed my net. He was struggling to get out and almost certainly would have died there. I wonder if this isn't possibly a significant explanation for birds dying in ponds. What the heck precautions can be taken to keep this from happening?Do I need to extend a net across where the water fall drops into the water?? As I type this, it's been 15 minutes and the poor little thing is still sitting on the ground... clearly alert, but hopefully not injured.. maybe a bit in shock.
Do you think we could get a picture of your set up?

I have found dead birds in my pond as well, but not at the rate you're describing. I've found some baby birds that fell out of a nest nearby and drowned. I have found a grown pigeon sitting in the waterfall dying (not drowning, just dying). My assumption with the adults is that the water attracts sick/injured birds, but their diseases/injuries end up getting the better of them and they die while attempting to recover.

Maybe if we see a picture of your set up, we can compare it with ponds that don't have this dead bird problem and come up with some ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Having been a bird keeper, and rescuer of many bird's, I'll put my two cents in. Birds love water. A Frog Log or other suitable alternative exit should be set up in ponds for any small critters to escape when they fall in, there are options set up for pools that can be used in ponds. Having a birdbath area just a few inches deep with plenty of nearby perches and easy exit may help. And yes, bird's can transmit parasites, but the threat ( except from ducks and geese) is minimal. Water bird's migrating have a higher risk of picking up a parasite and passing it on by pooing in your pond. There are few option but netting to keep them out of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One idea is to use a voltage meter to see if you’ve got current flowing in the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no answers cuz I found 12 YES 12 of the same kind and bout same size birds dead in pond today and they were not there 5 days ago.
We just moved here 4 months ago pond has NOT been used or cleaned w chemicals just sweep out past seasons debrey. I believe these birds do have few nest in the gutter of my car port with lil ones in them I can see them they are big enough to start learning to fly ( cuz they are) the pond sits about 8 ft away from where the nest are. We DON'T have a cat or any neighbors with beebee guns and our yard in fenced all around.
Any opinions you all have n can share on cause of 12 birds dead in the pond would be appreciated instead the one going through mine since I found them , that they all just fell from the sky like some kind of Omen or Curse. Cuz it's what it looks like.
Thanks!
Tracy...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no answers cuz I found 12 YES 12 of the same kind and bout same size birds dead in pond today and they were not there 5 days ago.
We just moved here 4 months ago pond has NOT been used or cleaned w chemicals just sweep out past seasons debrey. I believe these birds do have few nest in the gutter of my car port with lil ones in them I can see them they are big enough to start learning to fly ( cuz they are) the pond sits about 8 ft away from where the nest are. We DON'T have a cat or any neighbors with beebee guns and our yard in fenced all around.
Any opinions you all have n can share on cause of 12 birds dead in the pond would be appreciated instead the one going through mine since I found them , that they all just fell from the sky like some kind of Omen or Curse. Cuz it's what it looks like.
Thanks!
Tracy...
Hey there, @Justracy Why not start a new thread and tell us the specifics of your problem. Yes, I know you gave us info here, but your situation might be different and specific to your pond and /or location. Since this is an established thread, people are going to be less likely to see yours, mixed in with other responses! Pictures often help, as well. Tell us a little about your pond, etc., and welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Thanks!
Tracy...

Is there any obvious way for them to get out once they are in the water? Song birds can drown pretty quickly once they are all the way in so need a close and obvious exit. I've got a little depression in my bog gravel above my water fall that is about 1 inch deep and 6 inches diameter and attracts all the birds to that specific spot for a safe place to drink and bathe, can you set something like that up in your pond area so they aren't attracted to the main water body?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621701534329.gif
@Justracy
I have no clue, that is just plain crazy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
this feels like the twilight zone edition thread of GPF...it just keeps haunting its way back...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came here to ask this question, but it's only one bird. I came out this morning to find a little sparrow lying dead and soaking wet on the slab next to my pond. There was a hole in the netting I have over the pond so I'm guessing he has pecked his way through it, fell in, managed to get out but then still drowned on the side? Really upsetting, the wee soul. I've stitched up the hole with plastic wire and secured it but I don't want it to happen again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_092419.jpg
    IMG_20220508_092419.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I once had a dead opossum in my backyard pond.
It was terrible.
I think the poor thing wasn't well and fell in.

We saw an opossum the night before acting weird on our front walkway. It must have been the same one. He was walking back and forth, all around and in circles. Really weird.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even though this is an ancient thread my money is on that the birds though there was an area that they could bathe in . The went to land in the water thinking it was shallow and it was not . they landed in water deeper than they could stand in and that's when they drowned

Ask a Question