Help! Many dead birds in my pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Got any big bullfrogs around? We had this guy/gal in our pond one year and he took down a couple of birds a day. I guess he never figured out that he couldn't swallow them, so he kept catching, killing, and spitting them out.
Mr. Bigg.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a very small preformed garden pond (about 90 gallons) with a small waterfall/fountain. No fish or any plantlife in the water. I do have some perennial hostas planted up around the waterfall area. The pond is surrounded by slate rock.
I am almost ready to throw in the towel on this pond after 5 years and heres why......
I am getting several dead birds a day in my pond! I have no idea how this is happening and this is not the first season this has happened. Last year was the same, just not to this extent. I have had aprrox. 6-7 dead birds in the last week that I have taken out of my little pond. There are no windows around this area of my yard so thats not it, and they are all different types of birds.
Does anyone have any suggestions before i just fill the whole pond in with dirt and call it quits? This is no fun and is certainly not beautiful to look at! And I dont want to kill all of these birds that I love to watch......
Hi I have a small pond too and I had the same thing. I rebuilt my waterfalls so the birds had more ledges to stand on.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a very small preformed garden pond (about 90 gallons) with a small waterfall/fountain. No fish or any plantlife in the water. I do have some perennial hostas planted up around the waterfall area. The pond is surrounded by slate rock.
I am almost ready to throw in the towel on this pond after 5 years and heres why......
I am getting several dead birds a day in my pond! I have no idea how this is happening and this is not the first season this has happened. Last year was the same, just not to this extent. I have had aprrox. 6-7 dead birds in the last week that I have taken out of my little pond. There are no windows around this area of my yard so thats not it, and they are all different types of birds.
Does anyone have any suggestions before i just fill the whole pond in with dirt and call it quits? This is no fun and is certainly not beautiful to look at! And I dont want to kill all of these birds that I love to watch......
Same thing has just started at my pond. Been there for years with no problem now 4 birds in 2 days. I feel heartsick, have emptied pond. I have no explanation, so frustrating. Will let you know if I can figure it out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jumping frog hello.gif
and welcome @lynda
You just need to make a way out for them. Pile up rocks to the edge or floating wood or anything like a slanted floating walkway or a rubber door mat:

1686521796927.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want that to work stuff a noodle behind it to force it out from behind as it swims along the outside

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been having this problem for three years and finally figured it out.
I watched a large from drown and eat a baby bluebird. Then saw two dead baby birds from larger species. My guess is the frog drowned them but was unable to consume them. Brutal but part of nature.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been having this problem for three years and finally figured it out.
I watched a large from drown and eat a baby bluebird. Then saw two dead baby birds from larger species. My guess is the frog drowned them but was unable to consume them. Brutal but part of nature.
Large Frog!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Large Frog!
Sad and I've heard people say that has happened in their ponds. No bullfrogs ever come to my pond, only regular small types fortunately.

I guess I put these floating fakes in there just for the frogs..............oh but the snake likes them also. No big snakes in our area either to gobble the fish or birds up:

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_9217.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

Ask a Question