Help needed urgently

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave you've nailed it - just googled fish with costia & the look like mine - thank you I'm on the case now - will be back iin touch

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm cleaning it as per instructions - it's an Oase 20000'I just connect pipe to valve - turn knob a quarter and start pumping handle up and down - hope that helps
OK, cleans by backflushing. Like Dave, I am puzzled by your report of high Ammonia readings. Exactly what were the results of the test(s). In addition, what is the pH and temperature of your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Dave 54 Costia is parasite, I'm not so sure Melafix is going to get rid of it as it is "supposed" to treat external bacterial infections. Are you sure your not thinking of another medication?

Not sure if the orfe is salt tolerant but salt at 0.3% solution may help get rid of the costia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
OK, cleans by backflushing. Like Dave, I am puzzled by your report of high Ammonia readings. Exactly what were the results of the test(s). In addition, what is the pH and temperature of your pond?
The high ammonia reading was taken by An aquatics so called expert and when he saw the orfs at bottom of pond he diagnosed ammonia poisoning - but thaks to Dave he has correctly called it - costia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave - I contacted the very best aquatic shop in surrey - and drove on two wheels these guys really are experts they absolutely without hesitation advised me to use malachite and formalin - so I used made the decision and added it as per their instructions also they told me to turn UV off for 48 hrs and treat again in 7 days & 7 days after that add filter start to re establish filter bacteria so Dave that's where I'm at - without your correct diagnosis all would be lost - but now thanks to you there is hope
I only had to google costia and see photos of fish with it - same as mine - I'm now hoping that I got treatment started in time - thank you Dave and everyone else - it's hard to describe how heartbreaking it has been - thank you all for helping me - thank you isn't enough - I will be back to report later Nick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One thing I forgot - on instructions it says water temp should be 10 min but it's only 8 at 5 30 pm so I turned pond heater on - hopefully will warm up tomorrow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past few months I have got to know Dave54
bit of his back ground and taste in music
we have quite a lot in common,
I now think of him as a friend,
id love to meet him in person and by the way there isn't much he doesn't know about koi
Dave your a true warrior

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Dave 54 Costia is parasite, I'm not so sure Melafix is going to get rid of it as it is "supposed" to treat external bacterial infections. Are you sure your not thinking of another medication?

Not sure if the orfe is salt tolerant but salt at 0.3% solution may help get rid of the costia.

Orfe (Leudiscus idus) are the most salinity tolerant of all of the Cyprinids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave - I contacted the very best aquatic shop in surrey - and drove on two wheels these guys really are experts they absolutely without hesitation advised me to use malachite and formalin - so I used made the decision and added it as per their instructions also they told me to turn UV off for 48 hrs and treat again in 7 days & 7 days after that add filter start to re establish filter bacteria so Dave that's where I'm at - without your correct diagnosis all would be lost - but now thanks to you there is hope
I only had to google costia and see photos of fish with it - same as mine - I'm now hoping that I got treatment started in time - thank you Dave and everyone else - it's hard to describe how heartbreaking it has been - thank you all for helping me - thank you isn't enough - I will be back to report later Nick

Nick I was taught that Orfe will not tolerate Malachite and formalin but hey I'm not an expert just very well read informed and have 28 years experiance , I'm not the man on the scene , sometimes I wish I could just pop next door and see your fish but Devon and Surry are quite a long way apart.
I'm pleased that they agree with me that what you have is costia please keep us posted how things go Nick .
Please do yourself a favour and visit the Articles section look out val and my fish Library then buy one or two books on that list so that at least you know what your doing next time .
I'm not knocking your lack of knowlege both Val and I started out knowing nothing but from your experiances here I think you need to take time out and read a few of them, I promise you you wont look back once you start down this route.
Another thing you could buy is a good microscope so that your able to do scrapes of your fish to check under the scope just what parasite you have @Mmathis @betasandgoldfish and ourselves own one and use them , they are a god send .
Best of luck with this Nick keep us posted

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was desperate to find a solution - this shop I went to are regarded as the best in surrey - he was certain that his advice would be sound - I really am no expert - I inherited this fish & pond when I bought the house - but I'm trying my best - many many thanks I'm grateful indeed - if I could by you several big drinks I would - now all I can do is wait and hope - I will post daily updates - thank you so much Nick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Orfe (Leudiscus idus) are the most salinity tolerant of all of the Cyprinids.
Meyer I have alot on my mind at present what with my heart going wrong then loosing out on an operation I'd had six years of tests to get because I need to take blood thinners yes I made a mistake there looking back on it I should have chosen the correct treatment but I didn't , perhaps I should take time out ?
I'll have to double check things in future .sorry my friend got the right diagnoses but the wrong treatment "my minds elsware at the moment worrying times"sorry Nick it was an over sight on my behalf

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No I was Correct Formalin and Malachite Green are harmful to orfe , looked at my NTLab treatments I ended up doubting myself on both counts :-

http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/products/FMG-Mixture.html

The UK version Melafix and Primfix mixed may help but not sure on this need more information , I know that the tropical UK version of Melafix does treat Icthyobodo (costia) but I dont know if this would work in a pond situation.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past few months I have got to know Dave54
bit of his back ground and taste in music
we have quite a lot in common,
I now think of him as a friend,
id love to meet him in person and by the way there isn't much he doesn't know about koi
Dave your a true warrior
Thanx for the vote of confidence Slick , you never know it happened last year with @Andy41 he came over from Austria to Plymouth to see his dad then took time out to visit he only meant to stay an hour but left ages later got to see the koi talked the impotance of water changes mantenance etc he gave us Strong Austria chocolates we a rally great koi book and we hope to see him again if hes over this year (time to book that surfing holiday ):LOL:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave - so in desperation I took advice of established aquatic shop and used malachite & Formalin -,2nd dose due this Fri - one Orfe still has red blotches just like Google photos of fish with costia - other Orfe has no red blotches but alternates between lying upside down & right way up - the 2 goldfish & 1 koi seem unaffected- I'm thinking of paying for aquatic shop to come out & test all peramiters of water - really don't no what my next move should be - any advice would be appreciated thanks

Ask a Question