Help needed urgently

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your advice - can fish recover from ammonia toxicity ? As my 2 orfs are still alive 2 weeks later - albeit 1 lying sideways 80% of time - any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks Nick

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for your advice - can fish recover from ammonia toxicity ? As my 2 orfs are still alive 2 weeks later - albeit 1 lying sideways 80% of time - any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks Nick
If it is indeed Ammonia toxicity, (only a water test will confirm this), it is apparently low-grade as both fish are still alive. What is the pH of your pond? This greatly affects Ammonia toxicity.
If high Ammonia is confirmed then either partial water changes must be done until the Ammonia level drops to near zero or an Ammonia binder such as AmmoLoc may administered..
Orfe (Leudiscus Idus) are more sensitive to Ammonia than Koi or Goldfish.
Take no action until the water test has been conducted.
Keep us informed.
Yes, the fish may recover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Meyer and thank you so much for your advice - I have tested the water over last 10 days daily and no ammonia present - the PH is currently 7.6 - once again may I thank you for taking the trouble to help and advise me - I am very grateful indeed - I will post an update tomorrow - thank you

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello Meyer and thank you so much for your advice - I have tested the water over last 10 days daily and no ammonia present - the PH is currently 7.6 - once again may I thank you for taking the trouble to help and advise me - I am very grateful indeed - I will post an update tomorrow - thank you
That rules out Ammonia toxicity. I am confused in that you previously stated that Ammonia was present, then not present, then present again and now not present. Ammonia levels just do not fluctuate in this manner.
Have any pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals been used in the vicinity of your pond.....even on your neighbors property?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again Meyer - just to confirm - I have only had ammonia confirmed once - that was about March 2nd - then I did 50% water change and started up my aireators - since the ( over 2 weeks ) no ammonia tested present - I hope this clears that up sorry for any confusion - once again may I thank you for taking the trouble to help me - I will post tomorrow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - just the same really - just to clarify - I currently have 5 fish which are 1 large koi 2 goldfish and 2 orfs - it's the 2 orfs that are sick - I'm sure they were exposed to a light dose of ammonia on March 1 -also it looks like one of them has costia - I'm getting this confirmed for sure on Thursday as a pond doctor is coming to take a swab
So the Orfe that has no red blotches spends 80% of time at bottom of pond on his side or back - the other one with red blotches sits just below surface resting on bank . I have my aireators running and during the day temp is getting warmer - the other 3 fish all seem unaffected - however another problem is frogs - they are mating now and now and then they try and mate with sick orfs and I have to knock them off with a stick . Thanks for asking and of course any advice would be greatly appreciated - I will post again when the pond Doctor has been up to see on Thursday - thanks

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi - just the same really - just to clarify - I currently have 5 fish which are 1 large koi 2 goldfish and 2 orfs - it's the 2 orfs that are sick - I'm sure they were exposed to a light dose of ammonia on March 1 -also it looks like one of them has costia - I'm getting this confirmed for sure on Thursday as a pond doctor is coming to take a swab
So the Orfe that has no red blotches spends 80% of time at bottom of pond on his side or back - the other one with red blotches sits just below surface resting on bank . I have my aireators running and during the day temp is getting warmer - the other 3 fish all seem unaffected - however another problem is frogs - they are mating now and now and then they try and mate with sick orfs and I have to knock them off with a stick . Thanks for asking and of course any advice would be greatly appreciated - I will post again when the pond Doctor has been up to see on Thursday - thanks

Let's see what the swab reveals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The attected fish are at least 8 years old ( i inherited them when bought house ) the fish with red blotches swims ok ...the pure white one that spends 80% on bottom seems to swim erratically - sometimes ok then lopsided ...thanks I will post again thurs as I have a pond doctor coming ...he wants to do a swab test on the Orf that probably has costia - I just hope the fish will be strong enough to survive being netted for a minute or two .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Thanx for the vote of confidence Slick , you never know it happened last year with @Andy41 he came over from Austria to Plymouth to see his dad then took time out to visit he only meant to stay an hour but left ages later got to see the koi talked the impotance of water changes mantenance etc he gave us Strong Austria chocolates we a rally great koi book and we hope to see him again if hes over this year (time to book that surfing holiday ):LOL:

Dave

Thanks Dave.... :)

It was good to meet you both.... @slick.. if you get a chance go and visit Dave and Val.

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nick just a question here why must you pay the fish shop to come out and test your water for you when you could buy your own API test pond test kit and do all your own tests total cot to you about £34.00
Af your not feeding you cleaned your filters and pond prior to winter you should not be getting any sgnificant build up of ammonia yet at 8c no of us are feeding yet

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting the pond doctor up because I car nt think of what to do next - my reasoning is that if he can see the fish he can tell me for sure if one has costia 100% - I will post what he says later - thanks Nick

Ask a Question