Help with a couple of plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I bought a verigated sweet flag which I am wondering if I should put it outside the pond or in the pond. Does it prefer being in the water? Clay soil or no? I also have a lemon grass which I believe will be an annual for me. Should I put this bareroot in the pond to help with filtration? Anyone have these?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have the sweet flag, not the variegated. It does great in the pond. I have it in a large pot and it grows outside of the pot also. Now and then I cut the outside growth and just plant it in the cracks between the rocks. It does well. Its the plant closet to the wagon wheel

IMG_3288.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A friend gave me some variegated sweet flag, his survived over winter just fine and came back beautifully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Addy where do you have it? in the bog, pond or land?

RobAmy, I do have yellow solid leaved sweet flag bare root in the pond. :) Just wondered if the veriegated does as good on land or better in the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy where do you have it? in the bog, pond or land?

RobAmy, I do have yellow solid leaved sweet flag bare root in the pond. :) Just wondered if the veriegated does as good on land or better in the water.
Right now in a plastic bag in the house. Tomorrow it heads for the bog.

Growing variegated sweet flag: Plant in moist soil or in water up to 6 inches deep. It adapts to both sun and partial shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have the sweet flag, not the variegated. It does great in the pond. I have it in a large pot and it grows outside of the pot also. Now and then I cut the outside growth and just plant it in the cracks between the rocks. It does well. Its the plant closet to the wagon wheel

View attachment 71787

RobAmy, what is that tree to the left of your picture that has the yellow flowers that hang down. Cool tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
RobAmy, what is that tree to the left of your picture that has the yellow flowers that hang down. Cool tree.

I believe it is a golden chain tree (Laburnum), beautiful tree that I bought and was going to plant.....until my Aunt told me this (I have 3 young children and a dog, as well as the pond full of fish)....

All parts of the plant are poisonous, and can be lethal if consumed in excess. Symptoms of laburnum poisoning may include intense sleepiness, vomiting, convulsive movements, coma, slight frothing at the mouth and unequally dilated pupils. In some cases, diarrhea is very severe, and at times the convulsions are markedly tetanic. The main toxin in the plant is cytisine, a nicotinic receptor agonist.

My Aunt has the tree now, looks very nice in her child free and pet free yard.

(After digging around, the poisonous nature of the tree may have been overstated without medical or scientific facts) Better safe than sorry for me though.

Last edited:

Ask a Question