Help with pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just bought a house a couple months ago, and there is a little pond. Since I have been here I have added algaecide to the pond but that is about it. Empted the little fiIter cloth thing. Prior owners said they stop putting koi in because the raccoons just ate them everytime once they got to where they could not hide under the rocks. I know nothing about ponds!!! This morning I noticed some little white worms that are red at the end. I do not know how to take care of this problem. Do I cut this off for winter or put something in it for it not to freeze? I do have a little net to put on it to catch the leaves. I will attach some picture so hopefully someone can tell me where to start. Is there a filter I change every so often? I'm lost lol.. please help
20190929_104137.jpg
20190929_104131.jpg
20190929_104142.jpg
20190929_104147.jpg
20190929_104200.jpg
20190929_104210.jpg
20190929_104224.jpg
20190929_104240.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1569770933714.gif
@dkirk Hard to tell but the pond does not look very big. Do you know how deep and wide and long it is? From here it looks way too small for koi. A few goldfish would be ok but you will need a cover to protect it from raccoons. Maybe a net like @Gemma has over hers made out of metal. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/gemmas-babies.25243/
I'm not familiar w/that filter set up so I can't help you there but all filters will need cleaning somehow. How cold do you get there?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The deepest part is 16 inchels 5 ft wide and 6ft long. Kind of hard to get exact with all those rocks in there. Here we get in the single digits in winter. I might put a goldfish in there not really wanting to put koi in there. My son went to the creek and apparently put a little fish in there when we moved in that is still there. I like the looks of it so mostly just want to save it instead of destroying it. I like to sit on the porch at night and listen to the water. My husband said I might have to put something in it so if it freezes the pump will not go bad. Thanks for responding so fast!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep a few goldfish would be fine and some people put a livestock trough heater in there before the water freezes and just plug it in when it is supposed to freeze.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice looking pond. Those worms almost look like caterpillars that fell from the trees.
At 16 inches it might be ok for a few goldfish for them to survive the winter. I have a shallow pond some fish have wandered in via eggs, they survive our freezing. I keep a pond breather in my big ponds, the small ones are on their own. So far the fish have all done fine. No koi.

Welcome to our forum.

Ask a Question