HELP?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh heck. It's not too late to add dechlorinator. The stuff is poison for at least 24 hrs I think. Sorry about that bad luck but live and learn.
Thanks! I did add the dechlorinator.....most of the small ones are dead. But my 3 bigger ones were slowly coming around by last evening..So I hope today they will be ok. It has been cold and overcast for most of the day the last two days. I def. learned my lesson and will use a timer from now on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For future reference to you@Kirsti Kelty you can buy dechlorination units that will remove the need to add any dechlorinator/dechloromines liquid to the water .
Though a UK website these units are sold in both the UK and the US:-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=67

They remove dechlorinate/dechloromines prior to it entering the pond and will filter over 100,000 gallons Imperial/US
The new filters are easy to buy "online" and dont cost the earth .

Dave
Thanks so much for the info! I will look into those.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chlorine, though very toxic, will dissipate quite readily in a Garden Pond environment. More quickly during daytime hours especially on a sunny day. Sunlight is so effective in reducing chlorine that a bright sunny day can reduce the chlorination level of a pond by 90 percent in just two hours.You can add dechlor if it gives you peace of mind, but it is totally unnecessary at this point in time.
Meyer thanks~ have had overcast and cold days so I added the dechlorinator....still lost most of the small ones (had about 30). :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a hose timer so I don't forget when I am adding water the one I bought has gallons and time on it and turns off automatically

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you and me both and sure there are lots more .But even with well water you do have to be careful ,well water is some thing you cannot take advantage of , plus well water temps can be really a lot colder than your pond and also has to be tested .If I add water to my pond I use a filter that came with my house that handles those tube type filters as my water has iron in it .I use the hydrant I added to my well so I do not run lots of water through my whole house filter

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is usually around 7 but after heavy rains for days it sometimes goes up and sometimes goes down but has never been below 6 and has gone up to 9 .When it does go up I have more pink colored water .I guess from the clay soil .but iron is always present

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow! That is acidic!
No kidding! We have nothing but pvc pipes, it eats through copper. The first summer I built the pond, filled it, waited two months than added fish, some feeders, all except 3 died almost instantly, poor things. That is when I found out we had acid water. I waited a year before adding more fish. The plants, bog, rocks and whatever else buffered it up. I put in 100 lbs of crushed oyster shells every year. Our water is also very soft, like around 30 or lower.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No kidding! We have nothing but pvc pipes, it eats through copper. The first summer I built the pond, filled it, waited two months than added fish, some feeders, all except 3 died almost instantly, poor things. That is when I found out we had acid water. I waited a year before adding more fish. The plants, bog, rocks and whatever else buffered it up. I put in 100 lbs of crushed oyster shells every year. Our water is also very soft, like around 30 or lower.
And Soft water also? Yikes!

Ask a Question