water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And Soft water also? Yikes!
Laughing at least we don't have water spots! The water in arizona is like a rock, leaves deposits everywhere.

I add water daily, in the summer, the plants etc drop the pond level. But it is only via a timer, runs for 15-30 minutes, depends on the evaporation rate. I don't trust my self to remember to turn off the water lol.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well,you guys know how to second guess don't you! Anyway,my well water has none of those issues. Even if your well water has a big difference in pH it makes no difference unless you are doing a huge water change. Seeing as how most of you people don't do water changes but simply top off then even if your ground water was 5.5 it would make no difference. Ground water temps being much colder would make no difference either with simple top offs. My ground water has a high iron content and I use it as is even with 25% water changes. In any case well water is preferable in my case and I'm very certain the op wouldn't have lost anything with their mistake if they had been lucky enough to have a well!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree it makes no difference on top offs. The start of this thread was leaving the hose running and what would happen. If I managed to do a huge water change it would kill the fish with my well water.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
And this same water is supposed too be good for us to drink?? Make sure the hose you use is drinking water safe also, meaning it has a thin medical grade liner to keep the toxins from the recycled PVC from leaching out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was worried last summer because I had to put so much water in my pond when I could not find the leak .My well being over 400 feet in the ground the water is always freezing cold .I test my water 2 times a year with an intense kit that is sold here plus it has a prepaid envelope that you send a sample in and they send you the test results .It is not cheap but worth it and only place you can buy it here is from the county,you do one test for your self and the other gets sent to them .I want to know what is in my water since we are drinking it .It does go through 2 filters for any drinking water for us .But for the pond it is just one of those filters they sell at tractor supply .The hook up fits hoses .Not the best but figure it is better than nothing and only costs 20 dollars for it and the filters are around 10 dollars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
THANK YOU ALL for so much good info...Yesterday evening there were about 10-12 fish remaining out of 30. Thankfully, the 3 larger goldfish who came up to me for food and almost ate out of my hand are still ok.....They truly recognize our voices! But I can't believe how BADLY I feel over doing something so stupid as this! I wonder if they will continue to trust me as they did before....(I know it is odd but this has really gotten to me for some reason!) :( Anyone else experience this? It is a real surprise to me to see how much I really appreciated them and their daily interactions with me.....Life never ceases to amaze me. I'm hoping when I go out to them today that no more will have died.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
No kidding! We have nothing but pvc pipes, it eats through copper. The first summer I built the pond, filled it, waited two months than added fish, some feeders, all except 3 died almost instantly, poor things. That is when I found out we had acid water. I waited a year before adding more fish. The plants, bog, rocks and whatever else buffered it up. I put in 100 lbs of crushed oyster shells every year. Our water is also very soft, like around 30 or lower.
Is this yiur water in frederick md? If so then what a difference 4o miles makes. My ground water completely opposite of yours.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My aggie does that every once in awhile she will get mad at me and ignore me even when I have food .They will get over it fast .I have 3 fancy tail fish that do the same thing ,but aggie my koi is really the worst .The 3 fancy tails forget real fast when I come to the pond with food in my hand .You could get them special treats and all will be forgiven .When aggie does that I get out the freeze dried shrimp or krill or the food with fruits or veggies in it .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chlorine, though very toxic, will dissipate quite readily in a Garden Pond environment. More quickly during daytime hours especially on a sunny day. Sunlight is so effective in reducing chlorine that a bright sunny day can reduce the chlorination level of a pond by 90 percent in just two hours.You can add dechlor if it gives you peace of mind, but it is totally unnecessary at this point in time.

But what about chloramines which are just as dangerous?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is this yiur water in frederick md? If so then what a difference 4o miles makes. My ground water completely opposite of yours.
yes in frederick. I have tested it off and over the years hardly varies. Always acidic, hardness sometimes does not even register.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
But what about chloramines which are just as dangerous?
The majority of municipal water suppliers still utilize Chlorine as the primary disinfectant. Chloramine is much less effective. It is, however, longer lasting and does not dissociate nearly as rapidly as Chorine (days instead of hours). A neutralizer should be always be used if Chloramine is the primary disinfectant. Every pond keeper should know which of these disinfection methods are used as each needs to be handled a differently. A simple phone call to your water supplier will provide this information.
My supplier uses Chlorine and has indicated that there are no plans to change to Chloramine in the foreseeable future.
Interestingly, Chloramine increases the toxicity of Lead in water. I wonder what has been used in Flint, Michigan over the past several years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interestingly, Chloramine increases the toxicity of Lead in water. I wonder what has been used in Flint, Michigan over the past several years.

We get an annual water report in the mail here from our supplier.

Interesting about the chloramine increasing lead toxicity. That sure would be something if that is the case in Michigan.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We get an annual water report in the mail here from our supplier.

Interesting about the chloramine increasing lead toxicity. That sure would be something if that is the case in Michigan.

I believe that Flint's problems are more than just maybe Chloramine, but it could exacerbate an already problem situation.

Ask a Question