HELP!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i have a 4 acre pond that has a huge PH drop. So many dead fish :-((((((((((((

I am trying to find out what I can do to stop the death.
History on pond. It has been low for 20+ years. A few weeks ago I fixed the washout. Then we had a large amount of rain happen in a week filling the pond. There are lots of plants dying.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What was the PH level before and the PH level after the rain?
How many inches did the level of the pond rise?
Can you provide a picture of a dead fish and of the dying plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
image.jpeg
Everything else tested perfect. The PH is at 6.0.
The pond came up about 4'.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
With a pond that size, there's nothing you can do in the short term to fix whatever caused the problem. The best we can do is try to fix it so that the pond stays healthy in the future.
I don't see a before PH number, so I don't know what you mean by a PH drop.
I also don't see any dying plants.

Is there a stream inflow/outflow on this pond, or is it only a catch basin for the surrounding surface water runoff?
What is the pond depth now?
Does the surrounding land have any agricultural or livestock activities?

What do you mean by saying that you fixed the washout? Did you block off an outflow for the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I suspect what has happened is that after 20 years of a lower water level, the marginal and terrestrial plants that established themselves around the perimeter of the pond, along with the associated organic matter buildup, died and began to decay once submerged.
As that organic matter decayed, it starved the pond of oxygen, resulting in the death of the fish.
The dead plants you see are most likely the result of marginal and terrestrial plants that cannot survive fully submerged.

The pond will eventually return to a state of equilibrium, but without significant aeration, more fish are likely to die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been pulling dead fish out and giving to the vultures all day :-( but also caught a few and put in my back pond. I have a Lake fountain I am going to put in but been waiting on the power company to run the power to my land. Been using a gas powered water pump all day today. I had fully expected to have power by now :-(
Here is a pic of some of the plants now starting to die after water came up
image.jpeg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I suspect that your Alkalinity (KH) was low and could not buffer the water that was added from the rainfall causing your pH to crash. A pH of 6.0 is very low for most fish.
Please post the current Alkalinity level once you are able to test. If you could also test for General Hardness (GH), that would also be helpful,

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since this new water level is the highest that it has been in years. The plants that are dying are probably terrestrial plants that grew after the water level was low. If so, they can not tolerate the current wet conditions and naturally will die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
quickist fix is Agricultural lime , its used in fish farming on large scale

Last edited:

Ask a Question