HELP!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I don't believe in quick fixes.
they died bcz of rapid change in ph due to rain , so fix shud b as soon as possible or more deaths if u wait for one year gradual fix , this is how fish farming is done , read about it

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ag lime will correct the pH and Alkalinity, but first it must be determined what the present KH (alkalinity) is. Also it should be determined if the GH needs to be addressed also before any remedial action is taken. One does not add oil to an automobile without first checking the current level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If I'm not mistaken, the fish pictured is a large mouth bass, which have been found living in lakes with a ph of 4.3.
There's too much we don't know before we can say for sure what the cause of the die off was.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
If I'm not mistaken, the fish pictured is a large mouth bass, which have been found living in lakes with a ph of 4.3.
There's too much we don't know before we can say for sure what the cause of the die off was.
Your right many fishes can survive low PH even 4 , but the sudden change that killed them , if its gradual they adapt easily , thats the difference , but should keep it open for any other possibilities .but theres no harm controling ph , thats some thing that needs to be fixed whatever other reasons are , as mayer said too the normal avg level was too low that removed the buffer zone and sudden change , i have read commercial fish farmers do use such chemicals yearly to maintain ph , must be some reason why they keep it around safe level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We don't know what the prior PH level was though.
We also don't know what % of water volume was added to the pond.
Also, if there was agricultural fertilizer included in the runoff, the PH level could have actually gone up.
If there's a stream that constantly runs through the pond, I think it would be a waste to try to add chemicals for a temporary fix.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ag lime is used in fishery ponds primarily to maintain a KH level above 30 mg/L and optimally between 75mg/L and 200 mg/L. It is usually added annually as needed to maintain this level. The bioconversion of Ammonia negatively affects the KH level in a body of water reducing it over time. The greater the fish load, the greater the Ammonia production, the greater the reduction of KH. Add to this the steady accumulation of other organics which are not reduced or controlled as in a garden pond and the ultimate decay of these organics and release of even more Ammonia, the KH level is in a steady state of reduction.
It should be monitored periodically to at least establish the rate of reduction so as to ward off any potential pH crash.
Whether or not a pH crash occurred in this particular pond remains to be determined, but given the presented information, the indications are that one did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Update on my big pond.
There have not been anymore dead fish after that one day. There are lots of baby fish all over and I have noticed movement in the pond. My dreaded beaver is even back. Gggrrrrrr
The scum is also no longer On the top of water. The Ph is still testing very low.
I called and emailed the Game and fish to see if they could help me. Guess they are busy. My next step is to talk to the co-op fishery.
My koi pond is perfect water but it is easy to control. An 4 acre pond is proving to be a bit more difficult.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I also have a large natural pond, 1 or 2 acres I think, with a stream running through it.
I leave it alone and let nature take it's course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave
Update on my big pond.
There have not been anymore dead fish after that one day. There are lots of baby fish all over and I have noticed movement in the pond. My dreaded beaver is even back. Gggrrrrrr
The scum is also no longer On the top of water. The Ph is still testing very low.
I called and emailed the Game and fish to see if they could help me. Guess they are busy. My next step is to talk to the co-op fishery.
My koi pond is perfect water but it is easy to control. An 4 acre pond is proving to be a bit more difficult.
Total Oxygen depletion of your pond or lake
This is a common occurance in both ponds and lakes during the summer months, [please read as this may very well explain your die off this summer :-

http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/Extension/pdfs/pondoxygen.pdf

I hope this helps you

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question