Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
:LOL: Thanks!!!!! I have already dug it bigger about 4 times - don't tempt me! The corners where there is extra liner are spoken for. One is the corner my husband turns VERY close to with his truck when he comes home, so I have to leave that be. The other is over our pathway to the shed - and also dry well for excess water drainage. I'm saving every scrap of liner, though! Thanks for all the encouragement!! It is super exciting to be so close to seeing it finished! (Or should I say, "finished?" ;))

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are very sensitive to low quality and condition so if they have taken to the pond so quickly your in good shape

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
YOU GUYS!!!!!! There were just TWO hawks sitting on the branch in the bog!!!!!!!
GBBUDD - Thank you for that tidbit of info! That is great to know! I am guessing that if they were going to have problems, they would have by now? I put them in about 5 hours ago.
Also, I think every lily and lotus pad and every pickerel leaf that has bent down into the water has about a gazillion dragonfly eggs on it! They have been going nuts out there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOU GUYS!!!!!! There were just TWO hawks sitting on the branch in the bog!!!!!!!
GBBUDD - Thank you for that tidbit of info! That is great to know! I am guessing that if they were going to have problems, they would have by now? I put them in about 5 hours ago.
Also, I think every lily and lotus pad and every pickerel leaf that has bent down into the water has about a gazillion dragonfly eggs on it! They have been going nuts out there.
They read your post !!!!!! and hightailed it across the border

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We got out the bird guide and they are juvenile red-tailed hawks. It makes sense, since there is a big nest out in the back of our neighbor's property. It's fun getting out the binoculars every year and seeing if we can see babies! One of them is out there again this morning. He is sitting on top of the cross post of the swing set - looking. Looking. Looking. I sure hope he can get himself a bunch of chipmunks. We have a ton of them this year!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I left the maple standing (after cutting a bunch of it down) once it died. The hawks and herons favorite perch, right next to the pond. We don't have red tail here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Red tail are everywhere. If you don't have them in your area it's probably because you have Goss wing or another more aggress hawk

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Catching up. I had the same “thick water” when I started the pump. It went away after a few days. Pump is off for about 2 days now while I patch leaks, and it’s back. Did yours clear up already?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Red tail are everywhere. If you don't have them in your area it's probably because you have Goss wing or another more aggress hawk
We have the red shoulder , sharp shinned hawks, smaller than the red tail, have never seen a red tail here. We have a few falcons around also.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Here are just a few pictures from yesterday. I will probably adjust the branch over the bog. It does a nice job of disguising the little breather spigot. Birds were already using it! I like the ferns planted by the log. The waterfall foam there is a mess but I haven't done my "top-dressing" yet to cover it. I put moss around the waterfalls, too. I hope it survives. It looks good for now. If it were to grow and spread, it would be great.
Today I am going to get kitty litter and an oil pan to divide waterlilies from the front pond. I think having another lily in the backyard pond will be good to provide shade. That may ultimately end up being too many lilies for one pond but I can always remove it later if that is the case.
The lotus was struggling in the shade out front so I moved it out back. It needs division, too - but I will have to wait till the winter for that.
It looks great! Love the ferns behind the log, and that lotus is amazing! Your water looks nice and clear, so maybe no "new pond syndrome"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Catching up. I had the same “thick water” when I started the pump. It went away after a few days. Pump is off for about 2 days now while I patch leaks, and it’s back. Did yours clear up already?
Not yet. I think GBBUDD is correct - it was a precursor to green water. It is getting that greenish tint to it. Of course, there isn't much shade, since the lilies haven't really taken off yet. On the plus side, the minnows are having a ball! They are gobbling up dragonfly eggs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It looks great! Love the ferns behind the log, and that lotus is amazing! Your water looks nice and clear, so maybe no "new pond syndrome"?
It is getting green now - but that's ok. I know it is temporary!

Ask a Question