Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
More fun with nature this afternoon. One of the young hawks was 100% goofing around in the kiddie pool. I have some aquatic plants still in there, so the kiddie pool is over in the shade. The hawk was standing. Then stomping. Then doing some weird Elvis pelvic gyrations. Then he would pick up a plant, hold it in his beak, then drop it. It was very funny. He wasn't bathing. He wasn't hunting. I think he was just goofing off.
After he got bored and left, a doe came out of the woods and had a few drinks out of the kiddie pool. Since the edges of the pond aren't done, I think the rolled up liner and underlay are a little off putting, so she stuck with the pool.
This weekend, we are going to run the electrical wiring and set up the outlet box. BUT - I also need a truckload of dirt to help finish my edges. How much can I bother the husband with my project before he gets annoyed? That is the question. He IS getting eager to see it all finished, though. So maybe I can convince him to do both!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are the kiddie pool visitors:

Attachments

• IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not yet. I think GBBUDD is correct - it was a precursor to green water. It is getting that greenish tint to it. Of course, there isn't much shade, since the lilies haven't really taken off yet. On the plus side, the minnows are having a ball! They are gobbling up dragonfly eggs!
We want a video, we want a video , we want a video

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We want a video, we want a video , we want a video
How do I upload videos here? Same as a photo? Do I have to convert the format in some way? I would love to post a video, if I can figure out the technology.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How do I upload videos here? Same as a photo? Do I have to convert the format in some way? I would love to post a video, if I can figure out the technology.
I load them to you tube and then post the link.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like @addy1 said create a account on you tube then you look for upload button. copy the web address once the video shows on the web and then copy the address to the post. when you click post reply thats when the video will show

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The water is looking more green but less thick. It is so interesting to see all the changes.
So - we have had near 100 degree days here for several days and more to come. The pond has a lot of surface area for evaporation.
I know that the far end of the pond and bog need building up. The overlay also needs to be trimmed back because it is very wet and hanging over. I am sure it is wicking moisture out.
It seems like I am losing 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water each day. Given the situation with the overlay AND the extreme heat and full sun, I would say this is to be expected.
(There is a nervous little part of me saying "Oh no - when you put in plants, you stepped on a rock and made a leak." I have underlay and overlay, so I highly doubt it. I think it is probably fine and will slow down once I get the edges all raised and finished.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The water is looking more green but less thick. It is so interesting to see all the changes.
So - we have had near 100 degree days here for several days and more to come. The pond has a lot of surface area for evaporation.
I know that the far end of the pond and bog need building up. The overlay also needs to be trimmed back because it is very wet and hanging over. I am sure it is wicking moisture out.
It seems like I am losing 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water each day. Given the situation with the overlay AND the extreme heat and full sun, I would say this is to be expected.
(There is a nervous little part of me saying "Oh no - when you put in plants, you stepped on a rock and made a leak." I have underlay and overlay, so I highly doubt it. I think it is probably fine and will slow down once I get the edges all raised and finished.

You also have a seam across the entire bottom of your pond, right? Did you test it before rocking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We do! And yes - I had water in it for several days with no problems. And I was very careful moving my rocks. I did it all by hand and they aren't enormous or heavy, compared to many.
And we were really hyper-vigilant about doing the seam carefully and properly. We did a very thorough job.
Hopefully when I get the edging all done, it will help a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
And now that I think about it - it probably is more like a half inch a day. Not an inch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lose a lot every day this time of year, moving water, plants sucking it up, evaporate, wind, etc. I add water in the am and evening.

Ask a Question