Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was looking at your waterfall pic and thinking "that rock kind of looks like heart." Then I scrolled down and saw you mentioned it. Will show it to my toddler. She's obsessed with learning how to draw hearts and sees them everywhere. Will see if she spots it.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! Love the front yard pond, and the lovely waterfall!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey everyone! I would love a little reassurance about what is happening with my water. I think it is probably a normal part of the system starting. After rocking, I rinsed and pumped out the dirty water twice. I did the same with the bog, although I think the pea gravel probably has a little more sandy dirt stuck in it. I tried to pre-rinse all the rock, but it was hard to do efficiently and thoroughly. Then you remember I accidentally emptied the pond with the siphon action of the submersible pump! So I think I did a reasonably decent job of cleaning excess dirt off the rocks. Once filled, I added some beneficial bacteria to the bog. I know it is not necessary, but I thought I would "seed" the bog. I used a little less than the recommended amount. Yesterday, I added a bunch of plants! (I held them in place with a little dirty pea gravel.) All seems good.
Today, there is something happening that I HOPE is normal. The top surface of the water looks "thick." It isn't cloudy or anything at this point -- it just looks "thick." Like there is more surface tension there on the top - like a fly could land on it. My guess is that the bacteria is multiplying in the warm water with the sunlight?
Again, hoping this seems normal. Can anyone give any feedback?
@GBBUDD - you have used b. bacteria to get things started, right? Did you notice anything like this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Now the thickness looks like a clear film and there are some tiny bubbles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I would love a little reassurance about what is happening with my water. I think it is probably a normal part of the system starting. After rocking, I rinsed and pumped out the dirty water twice. I did the same with the bog, although I think the pea gravel probably has a little more sandy dirt stuck in it. I tried to pre-rinse all the rock, but it was hard to do efficiently and thoroughly. Then you remember I accidentally emptied the pond with the siphon action of the submersible pump! So I think I did a reasonably decent job of cleaning excess dirt off the rocks. Once filled, I added some beneficial bacteria to the bog. I know it is not necessary, but I thought I would "seed" the bog. I used a little less than the recommended amount. Yesterday, I added a bunch of plants! (I held them in place with a little dirty pea gravel.) All seems good.
Today, there is something happening that I HOPE is normal. The top surface of the water looks "thick." It isn't cloudy or anything at this point -- it just looks "thick." Like there is more surface tension there on the top - like a fly could land on it. My guess is that the bacteria is multiplying in the warm water with the sunlight?
Again, hoping this seems normal. Can anyone give any feedback?
@GBBUDD - you have used b. bacteria to get things started, right? Did you notice anything like this?
I'd bet it's the beginning of green water it is very similar to what your describing.
When i fired up the newest bog i got a greenish tinge about three days after fire up but it was gone before the week was out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thank you addy1 and GBUDD! I will cross my fingers and hope you are both correct! I was thinking back to a few years ago with my other pond. If memory serves me right, I vaguely recall adding some beneficial bacteria to it and having a similar situation. I might be making that up to make myself feel better, though! :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your in for a bit of a rollercoaster getting the know your pond. all par for the course. I would lean toward pushing as much to the bog as you can, Get the BOG established and the silt lockup up. clear up your pond.
Adding the bacteria in my opinion also means you need to get something in the water to feed the bacteria .

You know the routine. patience Everything in baby steps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I ordered a few rosy red minnows - I think they will be here by Thursday or Friday!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are just a few pictures from yesterday. I will probably adjust the branch over the bog. It does a nice job of disguising the little breather spigot. Birds were already using it! I like the ferns planted by the log. The waterfall foam there is a mess but I haven't done my "top-dressing" yet to cover it. I put moss around the waterfalls, too. I hope it survives. It looks good for now. If it were to grow and spread, it would be great.
Today I am going to get kitty litter and an oil pan to divide waterlilies from the front pond. I think having another lily in the backyard pond will be good to provide shade. That may ultimately end up being too many lilies for one pond but I can always remove it later if that is the case.
The lotus was struggling in the shade out front so I moved it out back. It needs division, too - but I will have to wait till the winter for that.

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 34
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 35
  • pond3.jpg
    pond3.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 33
  • pond4.jpg
    pond4.jpg